News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

...... on a single hole, IMHO.   ;D  You can click through some of the pics to get larger versions of the mounds in all their glory.  The course was built a couple of decades ago apparently at the height of the mound movement.

Nice back plateau on the green, but are those spectacle bunkers on the Mae West mounds?

First view is from the side as you pass by on the previous hole.

And behind the bumps are a couple of more mesa like humps for good measure.

And, the winning architect, one of our very own, is ..................................

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:14:51 AM by Bryan Izatt »

Mark McKeever

Re: And, the Winner of the Award for Most Egregious Use of Mounds .....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
I read the title and initially guessed Somerset Hills.  On a related note, I'm not sure why, but I like the look of the bunkers behind...which is abnormal for me..

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
It escapes me how they manage to keep the sand swept up the face of the bunker - it's pretty steep.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Maybe Mr. Brauer has some thoughts on this.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Has the word egregious been used in a thread title on GCA before? It could be stimulating first.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
Jeff,

He just might.  On this course he apparently didn't find a place where he didn't want to place a mounded.

Brian,

It's the Wild Wing Avocet course in Conway, just outside Myrtle Beach.  It's definitely worth a visit.  Some of the shaping is really good despite the mounds everywhere.   ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:44 PM »
Somewhere I still have my notes from the client brief.  (simulated Japanese accent) "I want "fru-fru".  Maybe with their accent it was really "foo-foo" but then, what do I know.  Willard Byrd had delivered two perfectly typical and bland resort courses for him, and he requested, and I complied, to sort of overdo it.  I recall interesting discussions.  In the end we felt if there was any place for lots of mounding, to please customers, it would be Myrtle Beach.

The steepness of the mounds in question came fairly directly from the owner, too.  After the 8th green was built, he though the driveable 9th was too short, and wanted a new back tee, which we had to elevate to see over the front tees, which meant we had to steepen those mounds. I didn't want to take the bunkers out figuring they added some safety. Those "Mesa mounds" are actually the tees we jammed in there.

Honestly the worst part about that hole is the plateau green, where the shelves came out a little steeper as well, perhaps tying into the theme.

You will note that of the four courses (Rees Jones did the last one) the Avocet is the only 18 remaining open.  While all four were open, the Avocet always got the most rounds, despite Byrd being fairly prominent in the area and Rees being Rees.  And, they charged the highest fees for Avocet and the Rees course, but we still got most play.

It also cost just more than half of what the Rees course cost and only a few hundred K over the Byrd courses.  Byrd and I both moved 400K in earth, but he raised all fw a few feet.  I engineered the drainage so they could stay closer to ground level, so I could use the same amount of fill and get more effect.  That, IMHO, is a real lesson in how architecture can make a difference to your business plan.

Ah, the memories!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:14:34 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
Has the word egregious been used in a thread title on GCA before? It could be stimulating first.

Mark,

Yes.

Bob.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Looks great, love the mounds, whatever they contain!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47369.0.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »

I certainly do not like the mounds but tend to think I would prefer this mounding over a bunch of white pines for seperation on this type of hole.  And iif one believes in seperation (which I don't) it would certainly be relevant to know what type of shot was being played into this hole.

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Looks like breast implants gone wrong ;D. And yet strangely endearing. I'm not sure what that says about me.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
There has been a lot of renewed discussion about, 'where is Jimmy Hoffa' lately.... Jeff?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »
Joe,

Thank you for directing me to that thread which I missed first time round. Great pictures.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
A Mae West template? ;)
a walk down mammory lane
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
Anyone have a picture of the "Dolly Partons" on the 11th hole at Tain? ;)   

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
There are way worse mounding examples out there. These are awesome compared to the repetitive uniformity, found on many less fru fru courses.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
There are way worse mounding examples out there. These are awesome compared to the repetitive uniformity, found on many less fru fru courses.

I agree with Adam.  I submit a new possible winner and it's of course Pete Dye.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
^ what on earth are they...?

Wrong, just wrong, I tell thee...!

Brian Ross

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
Ahhh, a course I know all too well!  I was an assistant pro here for a little under two years.  Having played nearly every course along the Grand Strand, I consider it to be one of the more underrated courses in the area, crazy mounds aside!  ;)
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »
Jeff,

I really knew it wasn't the most egregious, but it was really noticeable. Just funning you.

BTW they asked if I wanted to play the Hummingbird, so I guess one of the other courses must be open.  Of course, I said no - I've got to play the Brauer signature course.   ;D

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 12:44:43 AM »
Just to show that Jeff managed to consistently deliver to the frou frou mandate given by the owner of the course, here are some pictures of the course until I ran out of light on a quick trip around the course before winter storm Iago blew through.  Seriously, I liked the way Jeff used depressions as well as mounds.  I thought the shaping, especially from the 9th on was really nice.

Hole 1

Hole 2

Hole 3

Hole 4

Hole 5

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
Hole 6

Hole 7

Hole 8

Hole 9

David Harshbarger

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »
Quote from: golflink.com
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Excellent Course!! Design is superb, with huge mounding along all of the fairways, and strategically placed bunkers. One of the most difficult tracks I've ever played. Great course for the money (I played during the summer when the rates were lower). Great 19th hole as well, and a staff that is very welcoming. I hope this course doesn't shut down for development like the other 3 courses at the complex, which were also fun courses.

Golf Tips: Wild Wing Plantation | Avocet Golf Course http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=1386856#ixzz2IRLXgGSh

If the people want mounding, then give them mounding.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brian Ross

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »

BTW they asked if I wanted to play the Hummingbird, so I guess one of the other courses must be open.  Of course, I said no - I've got to play the Brauer signature course.   ;D

Bryan,

The Hummingbird is a 9 hole course that combined a couple holes from the Wood Stork course and the rest from the old Hummingbird course. It's a par 34 (3 3's and 1 5). There are a couple of fun holes but is quite broken up with some very long green-to-tee rides. It was left to provide golf frontage for much of the real estate development as the majority of the Avocet course wouldn't have real estate around it (with the exception of 1, 4 and 18 and a little on 10/11). As you no doubt observed, there hasn't been much building out there. Talk about poor timing!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:36:38 PM by Brian Ross »
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back