News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Renting a house near Merion for the US Open...
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe_Tucholski

Re: Renting a house near Merion for the US Open...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »
I expected higher, the most I saw in my quick look was $70,000 for the week.  I remember hearing about places on pebble that went for $250,000 for the week.  In Pinehurst where real estate is relatively affordable there are multiple places that are 6 figures for the week of the men's tournament.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
If anyone is interested i have a number of rooms at Le Meredien in Philadelphia from Open Week's Tuesday to Sunday night inclusive. The rate is very competitive. Please PM me if of interest.

PS. apologies in advance if makingthis available is beyond the etiquette of the DG. I'm not trying to make any money out of this - just passing on the rooms at the rate for which i'm committed (3 guys withdrew from a trip we'd planned & booked almost a year ago!).

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:32:22 AM »
Greg,

Offering the spare rooms is entirely appropriate - it's how one GCAer found himself visiting Scotland for the first time!

Anyone in Philly for Open week should go to McGillan's and ask for a table in Faith's area...

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
Isn't there a train stop on Ardmore next to the golf course?  I assume that will be the preferred transportation to and from the course, making hotels along that line desirable?  Please inform.  Thanks.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kevin_D

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
There is a train stop in Ardmore along the Paoli/Thorndale line from Center City Philadelphia

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/index.html

I assume there will be shuttle buses provided from there, or some other spot not too far away along the Main Line (eg, Villanova University)

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »
I heard Villanova parking lots, then a 5 minute ride on the micro train. drops you off at the 12th green. Heard from a former GCA'er that this Open will be the worst of all time. No specifics just doom and gloom. Working number 15 so I hope I can survive.

I was really looking forward to meeting some of you folks. If the world ends stop by 15 with a beer, might as well go out among golf friends??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
I'll be volunteering on Hole #1.

Ed - What does someone mean by the worst of all time? (BTW, 15 is my favorite hole at Merion East. That tee shot just begs you bite off more than you should ... and the tee itself is in the middle of the 16th fairway!)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
Hello Dan,
His, demented, thoughts are that the course was ruined by the recent rennovation. He believes it has been tricked up beyond what was necessary and a national landmark has been defaced forever. The green work was unnecessary and adding the new bunkers was foolish. The rough will be too long and the greens too fast.

I played it a few times last year and I am not a huge fan of the new bunker on 16.  But I always flirt with the left so I can see it's position being useful.

I love the fairway being moved on 11, I think it makes it a much better hole. I also understand the work on 12 and 15. Worked 11 and 12 at the U. S. Am and watched a bunch of balls , well struck I thought, spin off 12 and go down the fairway.

But as a disclaimer I love the course, the clubhouse, the food, the locker room and the showers. It is a slice of heaven when I get asked to go to play there.  I love the place.

ed

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
There is a train stop in Ardmore along the Paoli/Thorndale line from Center City Philadelphia

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/index.html

I assume there will be shuttle buses provided from there, or some other spot not too far away along the Main Line (eg, Villanova University)

For the Opens at Bethpage, there were shuttle buses from the LIRR Farmingdale stop to the front gate. The same was true for Congressional from the Metro line station. I imagine the practice will be the same for Merion.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
Well what they did at Congressional was great, no lines and no waiting. I bet they can duplicate it at merion. Well except for the 20 buck burgers.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:27:17 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back