News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Burke

Golf in South Korea
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
Heading to Seoul this fall and was hoping to get a couple rounds in while over there.  Anyone been?  Suggestions?

Adam Lawrence

Re: Golf in South Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
If you're not just in Seoul then Kyle Phillips's new South Cape club looks pretty spectacular from the few photos I've seen - would love to hear more from someone who's seen it in the flesh....
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
If you are going to be around the Seoul area there are a few choices.  Right when you land in Incheon there is Sky 72.  Also around Incheon there are a few other choices.  Nicklaus just opened an 18 or 27 hole replica course just off the northern bridge connecting Incheon to the mainland (it is one of two that have been built in the last few years that are not on mountain sites). I think Golfplan has completed a new course on an island around Incheon as well. 
There are some courses around Icheon about an hr west southwest of Seoul that are ok.  If you go an hour or so straight west of seoul  to Chuncheon there have been quite a few courses built in the last 5 years.  The newest course in Korea getting a lot of attention is Whistling Rock designed by Ted Robinson Jr.  From what I have heard it is hard to get on.  It is right outside of Chuncheon as well.

Greg Thomsen

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
I haven't had the chance to play much in Seoul. I've heard Haesley Nine Bridges outside Seoul is better than their course on Jeju, so it would be worth checking out if you have the connections.

South Cape club is in Namhae which is a 4 hour drive from Seoul. I haven't checked it out yet but will try to have a look on my next trip there in June.

About an hours drive west of Namhae, DMK have just built 27 holes on Gyeong-do, a small island off Yeosu. The amount of earthworks involved here was incredible. The following link will give you an idea of how much of the island the course occupies. The course is in play now. http://www.yeosucc.co.kr/

Try to get organised with bookings as early as you can, making single bookings or getting a game without a booking can at times present problems in Korea.

Great people, enjoy a few soju's after your round !!

Cheers

Greg

Nick Schaan

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »
Arranging golf in Korea is certainly very different that in the states, as are a number of things with the golf culture. Our course in Yeosu has been listed as open, however only 9 holes, and they are being played by members under grow-in conditions. we are currently finishing up shaping work on the remaining 18 holes and the full island will not officially open until May 2014.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back