News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

"Simplicity of it", great description of this kind of golf Tom.

Garland Bayley

Route4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

View from the tee.

Bunker wall must be cleared a little over 150 yards off the tee.

Hole4TeeShot by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

The bunker wall seen from the side.

Looking back towards the tee after passing the walled bunkers.

Green in distance after passing the walled bunkers.

Approach to green has bunkers in front of the green.

Greenside defenses.

Looking back from behind the green.

Sign post and features behind green.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:01:21 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

Route5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

View from tee.

Hole5Tee by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Looking back at 4th green.

From in front of green.

Fourteen green through telephoto?

From left side of green.

View of green.

Bunkering.

Critter tracks?

Looking back while ascending to 6 tee.

5 green from 6 tee.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:06:08 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

GJ,

Thanks for posting.  This course is on the short list of must plays for me.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

Jud,

Thanks. When I looked around, I was amazed to find no one had done a complete tour, just random pictures here and there.

Andy Stamm

I'm really enjoying the tour, thanks.

Can anyone who's familiar tell me how the turf tightness and the firms of Westward Ho! compares to a comparable links with the 'normal' maintenance procedures? I imagine that it's just as firm or firmer (no watering), but is it a little slower because the grass is longer? I know that of course conditions vary widely, etc. but I'm just looking for a very general idea.

Garland Bayley

Route6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Looking back to town along boundary from 6 tee.

6 tee and memorial bench

Memorial bench

Sea from tea, err... tee.

Iconic view of six from the tee. The most recognizable fairway in golf.

Signs.

First two pots. On left side of fairway.

Center bunker in the driving zone.

View of approach to green.

Bunkers guarding the safe route on the right away from the OB next to the sea.

Approaching green.

Bunker short left of green.

Green from the front.

Green from left side.

Green from behind.

Green from 7 tee.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:13:02 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

Andy,

You are most welcome.

John Mayhugh

I'm thankful to Garland for posting my photos as I've never made time to do so.  I'll try to keep up with comments, but the Final Four trip to Atlanta has me a bit behind.

2nd hole
Didn't feel much shorter than the par 5 first. Around 420 yards and somewhat into the wind.  The green is fairly small and though it's hard to tell from the photos, a bit elevated where balls run off easily.  The bunkers are a bit to the right of the green, so an approach allowing for the wind (and the wind doesn't move the ball) can end up there. 

3rd hole
Another longish par 4.  The fairway bunkers are positioned where you really can't be sure a drive will either be short or clear them.  It also plays into the wind, and the bunkers short of the green make for a tougher long approach.

4th hole
The tee shot over the deep bunker with sleepers isn't too intimidating anymore.  Carry is only about 190 from the tips, but it's easy to imagine how intimidating it was back in the hickory days, especially battling the wind and without today's high ball flight.  There's only the directional arrow and a post behind the green to direct you.  While the first few holes were quite flat, the fairway starts showing some of the humps and rolls that are well-known from the 6th hole. Like the last, most of the trouble is short, and balls a bit short and left will be helped into the bunkers by the slope of the ground short.  Here's where the course starts to get really, really good.

5th hole
This short (130-ish) par 3 is named Table, and it's a bit like a round table (green) surrounded by a bunch of chairs (bunkers).  The green is perched in the dune and plays a little uphill. If the tee shot comes up short and manages to avoid the front bunkers, the slope will surely repel the shot back towards the tee.

John Mayhugh

I'm really enjoying the tour, thanks.

Can anyone who's familiar tell me how the turf tightness and the firms of Westward Ho! compares to a comparable links with the 'normal' maintenance procedures? I imagine that it's just as firm or firmer (no watering), but is it a little slower because the grass is longer? I know that of course conditions vary widely, etc. but I'm just looking for a very general idea.

My only visit there was in March on a damp day.  The flatter holes near the clubhouse were fairly soft, but once I hit the fourth the turf seemed like typical links.  I can imagine it really running in a dry summer.

Garland Bayley

4th hole
The tee shot over the deep bunker with sleepers isn't too intimidating anymore.  Carry is only about 190 from the tips, but it's easy to imagine how intimidating it was back in the hickory days, especially battling the wind and without today's high ball flight.  There's only the directional arrow and a post behind the green to direct you.  While the first few holes were quite flat, the fairway starts showing some of the humps and rolls that are well-known from the 6th hole. Like the last, most of the trouble is short, and balls a bit short and left will be helped into the bunkers by the slope of the ground short.  Here's where the course starts to get really, really good.

5th hole
This short (130-ish) par 3 is named Table, and it's a bit like a round table (green) surrounded by a bunch of chairs (bunkers).  The green is perched in the dune and plays a little uphill. If the tee shot comes up short and manages to avoid the front bunkers, the slope will surely repel the shot back towards the tee.

Both of these greens have bunkers right in front of them. I'm wondering what the strategy is since bouncing it in like normal links golf wouldn't seem to be the proper play.

John Mayhugh

Both of these greens have bunkers right in front of them. I'm wondering what the strategy is since bouncing it in like normal links golf wouldn't seem to be the proper play.

In the case of the 4th, there is an opening in front to run the ball up, but it's pretty narrow.  You ever try bouncing an approach over a bunker?  That's a real good test for distance control and trajectory, but can be done (even I've managed it before!).

I think the 5th is supposed to be a carry shot.  The green is perched on a dune. 

Garland Bayley

Three of my favorite holes are 5,6,& 7 at Westward Ho!  A great little par three into the wind with a stupendous green complex, a wonderful shortish par four with a fairway from the moon, and a longish par four dogleg around some rushes.  I could play them all day.  In fact I did one day.

Garland Bayley

A best short par 3 nomination.

...5 at Royal North Devon.  It is about 135 yards, generally into a stiff breeze that requires a knock down shot to a well bunkered and contoured green.

John Mayhugh

The view from the 6th tee is as memorable as just about anywhere I've played.  I wish my photos were in better light so more of the contours of the fairway showed up.  It's a real thrill watching your tee shot bounce and roll along the humps in the fairway.  Notice how the green is built into the dune, with a drop off right.  The miss seems to be left thanks to the bank on that side of the green that can help contain the approach, but a bunker is placed short and left to add a bit of pressure to the safe play.

Garland Bayley

Here is # 5 at Royal North Devon.  What you don't see is the severe slope that requires a shot below the hole.  TRhe hole is only 135 yards but is always into a prevailing wind.  It is one of my favorite shots in the world and demands a precise shot that stays under the wind. Distsnce control is a must.

EDIT: Couldn't help notice that Ran's review has these bunkers with sleepers, not revetted.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:50:37 PM by GJ Bailey »

Garland Bayley

The view from the 6th tee is as memorable as just about anywhere I've played.  I wish my photos were in better light so more of the contours of the fairway showed up.  It's a real thrill watching your tee shot bounce and roll along the humps in the fairway.  Notice how the green is built into the dune, with a drop off right.  The miss seems to be left thanks to the bank on that side of the green that can help contain the approach, but a bunker is placed short and left to add a bit of pressure to the safe play.

Here is another view of Westward Ho! #6

Garland Bayley

Route7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

View from the tee.

Approaching fairway bunkering.

Great sea rushes between drive and green on approach.

Great sea rushes as you traverse the ground approaching the green.

Green view with last of sea rushes.

Kickplate? to bounce ball onto green from.

Green from left side, right side bunker barely in view.

Looking back down the hole.

View from back of green looking back down the hole.

Right side bunker clearly in view from back of green.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:19:09 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

Route8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

View from the tee.

Approaching green.

Left green side bunkers.

Short excursion to the beach.

View looking back from beach.

I have to think this is looking towards 9 tee with the inlet from the sea on the left. ?

View from behind green.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:21:31 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

Natural green commentary.

... number 8 at Royal North Devon.  It does not appear as though it has been manufactured at all.  The same might be said of the pretty bland 17th green.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:27:09 PM by GJ Bailey »

Jud_T

Is the beach in play?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Garland Bayley

...  The most unique feature, I think, are the greens complexes.  I am not certain how to even describe them.  They are raised in a way but only as the ground around them moves.  They are brilliantly bunkered complete with sheep foot prints and.  ... It may have the shortest par five in the country.  It is about 440yards.  The problem is not reaching the green it is gettin on the green.  It is a raised green the moves like a wave on ground.  I have been on the fringe and hit what I though was a good chip that ends up in a bunker. 

Garland Bayley

In the case of the 4th, there is an opening in front to run the ball up, but it's pretty narrow.  You ever try bouncing an approach over a bunker?  That's a real good test for distance control and trajectory, but can be done (even I've managed it before!).

I think the 5th is supposed to be a carry shot.  The green is perched on a dune. 

Tommy tells me he bounces it in at four. He had so much fun bouncing it in at four, he joined the club.
Takes a little luck though.

Garland Bayley

Is the beach in play?

Having not played the course, but judging by the Google Earth view, I would have to say that an awful golfer like me might reach the beach once in a blue moon with an awful slice.

Thomas Dai

GJB and other providers of photos,

Splendid. Well done for sharing.

All the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back