News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Bearer

Re: Bandon in Winter vs Streamsong in Summer
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
Yes, Florida in the summer would be a tough call to make.  Hell, I avoid the Carolinas in the summer.  If I am crossing an ocean, I want to play golf walking.  So for me, Florida would be out unless there were some unusual circumstances involved.  However, for a lot of Euro golfers, I think they would give it a go.  Is Streamsong marketing in Europe?

For me, Bandon is a long way to go in the summer or winter.  I would probably want to visit when I have the best chance for decent weather, but still in the off-season.  The summer prices are just never going to work for me. 

Does anyone know if Bandon is getting decent numbers from Europe?

Ciao 

Sean - Send me a PM and I can email you some photos of several trips to Bandon in the winter.  Some of the most beautiful golfing days you'll find anywhere - especially if you don't like the heat!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:34 PM »
The answer is a no brainer if you love wind, and turf that could be dormant.
 Winter golf is the bomb. Likely one reason places like Angc, and PV were so special, too. Bandon.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Harshbarger

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Streamsong bookings:

Wed Feb. 13, 1-night package for 2, $990
Wed July 17, 1-night package for 2, $1,596

36 holes, night stay, breakfast; July adds lunch and dinner.

Lots of availability, but doesn't look like price is suffering yet.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:43:20 PM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »
David,

That's baffling.  It actually costs $600 more in the summer off-season and all you get extra is two lunches and two dinners?  Mighty expensive lunches and dinners.  And, besides most places in Florida are giving stuff away in the summer.  At least Bandon is significantly less costly in the winter, their off-season.

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
David,

That's baffling.  It actually costs $600 more in the summer off-season and all you get extra is two lunches and two dinners?  Mighty expensive lunches and dinners.  And, besides most places in Florida are giving stuff away in the summer.  At least Bandon is significantly less costly in the winter, their off-season.

HAS to be a typo.
I reread it three times
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Kelly

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
Streamsong bookings:

Wed Feb. 13, 1-night package for 2, $999
Wed July 17, 1-night package for 2, $1,596

36 holes, night stay, breakfast; July adds lunch and dinner.

Lots of availability, but doesn't look like price is suffering yet.

Can't be right. Can't be. If it is right then they have some management issues.

Knowing the area I am very skeptical that they will be successful attracting summer golfers after the first couple of seasons.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »

In fairness, there are minimum stay requirements in place now (3 nights Thu-Sat check-in) that go to 2 nights, Friday check-in only for the summer dates. 

I assume they have plenty of time to adjust if needs be.  I would think the hotel bookings will be more seasonally impacted than the clubhouse. 

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Howard Riefs

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
David,

HAS to be a typo.
I reread it three times

It doesn't look like golf in Florida
Not priced like it either
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 04:23:54 AM »
I'm past baffled and into dumbfounded.   :o  Apart from summer rates being higher than prime winter season rates, the absolute dollar amount is astounding.  If winter golf rates carry over to the summer, that means the room and meals are about a $1000 for the one night.  Or, are the golf rates Pebble Beach-like and the room is a more modest amount.  Either way, I guess David is a money-is-no-object kind of guy.  I hope that there aren't a whole lot more people out there who will go for this rate.  If it succeeds and carries over to next winter it will certainly price the place out of my means.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 07:49:43 AM »
Bryan,

A friend of mine just returned from NZ.

He asked me to guess what the room rate was for he and his wife at one of the courses/resorts.

I guessed $   400.      He said, "guess again"
I guessed $   800.      He said, "guess again"
I guessed $ 1,600.     He said,  "guess again"
I guessed $ 3,200.     He said,  "$ 2,200

I was stunned, so it's not an issue confined to the U.S.

I can't imagine that the summer rates in central Florida are higher than the winter rates.
It's got to be a programming glitch, one that should be fixed ASAP

Do they have DEMO sets available ?

David Harshbarger

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »
Either way, I guess David is a money-is-no-object kind of guy.

Bryan, I would be if I could afford it ::)

Jason Connor

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »
Summer golf in Florida can be bad, but it's not THAT bad.

I live in Orlando and teach a week each summer in Baltimore.  Each of the last three years, it's been hotter in Baltimore that week (typically early July) than in Orlando.  So much of the east coast has it just as bad.

Early morning golf here is fine, I'm a walker and walk with an 7:30-8 tee time no problem.   Plus the days are long, so you can easily get in 54 if you so desired.

I've played the Jones trail in Alabama in awful summer weather.  54 holes a few times, and the nice thing is the courses are so empty you can play fast (driving then), take an hour break, and go play again quite easily.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »
Either way, I guess David is a money-is-no-object kind of guy.

Bryan, I would be if I could afford it ::)

If you keep paying prices like these you probably will never be able to afford it.   ;D

David Kelly

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »
Summer golf in Florida can be bad, but it's not THAT bad.

I live in Orlando and teach a week each summer in Baltimore.  Each of the last three years, it's been hotter in Baltimore that week (typically early July) than in Orlando.  So much of the east coast has it just as bad.

Early morning golf here is fine, I'm a walker and walk with an 7:30-8 tee time no problem.   Plus the days are long, so you can easily get in 54 if you so desired.

I've played the Jones trail in Alabama in awful summer weather.  54 holes a few times, and the nice thing is the courses are so empty you can play fast (driving then), take an hour break, and go play again quite easily.

The key phrase being "the courses are so empty."
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
Patrick,

Which course/resort was it in NZ.  Save me the bother of checking it out when I go.  I understand that there are many obscenely priced things in life, but so far I've avoided them and likely will continue to avoid them as long as I live.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back