News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Joe Leenheer

Grand Cayman Golf...all 36 holes of it.
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
So my wife and I are planning a trip to GC and we need some activities.

Not exactly a golf hot spot, but has anyone played any of the courses there?

I believe there are two 9-hole course (Nicklaus & Norman) and one 18 hole course (Roy Case?)

Recomendations for golf and other activities would be appreciated!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Pete Stankevich

Re: Grand Cayman Golf...all 36 holes of it.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:25 PM »
Joe:
The Links at Safehaven is the Roy Case course.
Plenty of challenges, especially when the wind is up, which it usually is.
I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
when are you going Joe, I'm on Grand Cayman Feb 15-Mar 1st.  I have family there (bro is low handicapper).

Links at Safe Haven is the only 18 holer open, OK course, seems to be operating month to month.

My favourite is the 9-holer designed by Nicklaus to be the next big golf game, using the lighter Cayman ball.  This ball never caught on which is too bad as you could build a course on 50 acres.   It used to have 18 greens, now has a very interesting 9 holes, using different tees for the second time round.  Last Feb it was in OK shape, slow greens but good island fun.  Easy to find a game with the local American/Canadian/Caymanian/UK residents at either course, most residents play both courses regularly.
The Norman course wasn't available last year, my understanding is it has 4 good holes to start then.....I'll find out next month.

Fine food and drink abounds on Grand Cayman, very civilised island nation, full employment certainly helps.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
I'll be there closer to the end of March/early April.

If I play my cards right...I could play every course on the island!!!   ;D

So if you had the rank the Top 100 Courses in the Grand Cayman you would say...

1. The Nicklaus
2. Safe Haven
3. Norman (until future ranking)

You mentioned the Cayman ball...do they actually use them there?  Is it required?

I would have to say I'm a little bit more excited about playing if it involves the Cayman ball!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

David Stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
I have been there many times (and am going this March as well) but have never played the courses, mostly due to the opinion of my grandfather. He has been to GC at least once a year for the past 30, and has played them. He says for the price and quality of the golf, skip the courses and stay on the beach.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Joe, that list looks right IMHO.   The "Nicklaus" Jimmy Griffin Cupp 9 holer is fun with good breakfast.
They do sell Cayman balls but they aren't ProVs for sure.  \
They also had Titleist rentals, last year.    Beach is good of course. 

If you have a designated driver, it's a nice day to drive the island, stopping at the various drinking spots as you go, and when you get to Uncle Jacks (Rum Cay) you are only half way as you have to drive back!

I've heard there may be better golf prospects in the near future (But I've heard that since before the last hurricane).   It's a great place to relax, and very comfortable.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
The Caymans has some of the best diving in the world.
It does not have some of the best golf in the world.
Used to be a restaurant in town that had all you can eat lobster 2(?) nights a week. Decker's, I think. There was a English, double decker bus out front if I recall. But it's been years ago since I have been there.   

Matt Schmidt

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »
The Caymans has some of the best diving in the world.
It does not have some of the best golf in the world.
Used to be a restaurant in town that had all you can eat lobster 2(?) nights a week. Decker's, I think. There was a English, double decker bus out front if I recall. But it's been years ago since I have been there.   

+1

I go every other year, my kids love it.  Decker's is alive and well, as is the lobster special.  The Wharf also has decent food at the south end of 7-mile, and head a bit further south for Casanova's (Italian food, outdoor seating with a nice view).  If you don't mind a longer ride, you can check out the Barefoot Man - the Cayman version of Jimmy Buffet.  If you want to drink and shop with the cruise ship crowd, head into town any day and have at it!

If you do not dive, there is also great snorkeling.  You can take a tour, or just go on your own to Cemetery Beach and/or Eden Rock (Eden Rock is the best so if you only do one, go there).  There is a dive shop right there for rentals if you need it.  Early morning is great, I usually see eel, tarpon (some really big ones), squid, cudas and a lot of all the usual Caribbean fish.

Tourist traps/stuff = iguanas, turtle farm, dolphin swim, stingray city (avoid the busy cruise ship times as it can get too crowded).  We've done them all at one time or another.

Dive, snorkel, beach, eat and repeat.

Michael Blake

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:23:02 PM »
Dive, snorkel, beach, eat and repeat.

I'd also add smoke Cubans. 

Was there more than 10 years ago and played Nicklaus & Save Haven.  Waste of time & money, unless you're simply looking to get away from your wife for a few hours.  Cayman ball was like playing with a wiffle golf ball.

I'd recommend spending your time doing other things.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
Good news is my wife would be joining me for golf so from the sounds of it we can waste even more money!  Maybe I'll play the Cayman Ball and she will play a regular ball and we will have a game of it!

I can only sit around on a beach or poolside for so long....

Deckers is officially on the list.

As far as diving and snorkeling...I generally try to avoid water hazards but maybe we will feel adventurous one day.

Thanks!

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
Played the back 9 at North Sound Golf Club yesterday and enjoyed it very much. By no means an architectural masterpiece, but a very fun course to play.

With changing wind conditions I was able go eagle-birdie on the par 5's and also make a smooth 6 in the signature par-3 12th hole. My favorite shot of the day was a drive on a 345 yard par-4 with a gale force wind dead in the face.  Ripped a driver that didn't get higher then one of those little umbrellas they put in my....err...my wife's drinks. Proceeded to make bogey from 70 yards.

Conditions were fine but I did get a gimpse of the Ritz's Blue Tip Course and it looked immaculate. That will be the course of choice next time around. Now I just need to figure out how to swing a couple nights at the Ritz.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back