News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

How highly rated is
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
Hollywood Golf club by you and/or national publications?

http://www.hollywoodgolfclub.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

V. Kmetz

Re: How highly rated is
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
To my ears, it has always been well-regarded and my impression of it on two visits (caddied 1991 Met Open, played in 1999) was overall favorable.  There is a plethora of parallel holes and the ground isn't spectacular but it's a well-praised track in the main.

the most memorable holes there were, for me:

Par 3 - #4
Par 4 - #12
Par 5 - #7
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
John,

It's a wonderful golf course, made even more enjoyable and challenging by the breeze from the ocean less than a mile away.

The greens and surrounds are spectacular, top 5 in NJ,

V Kmetz,

While # 12 is a really unique hole, the two holes that bracket it are also pretty unique and # 14 is one hell of a golf hole, ditto # 18

I'd still like to see # 17 green fine tuned/tweaked.

Great golf course

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
It's 16 in GD's NJ rankings:

We rank the top venues in New Jersey
1. Pine Valley G.C. (pictured above), Pine Valley ★
2. Baltusrol G.C. (Lower), Springfield ★
3. Baltusrol G.C. (Upper), Springfield ★
4. Plainfield C.C. Edison ★
5. Somerset Hills C.C., Bernardsville ★
6. Galloway National G.C., Galloway
7. Ridgewood C.C. (East/West), Paramus
8. Bayonne G.C., Bayonne
9. Liberty National G. Cse., Jersey City
10. Trump National G.C. Bedminster (Old), Bedminster
11. The Ridge at Back Brook, Ringoes
12. Mountain Ridge C.C., West Caldwell
13. Hidden Creek G.C., Egg Harbor Township
14. Trump National G.C. Bedminster (New), Bedminster
15. 15 Hamilton Farm G.C. (Highlands), Gladstone
16. Hollywood G.C., Deal
17. Metedeconk National G.C. (1st/3rd), Jackson
18. Trump National G.C. Philadelphia, Pine Hill
19. Atlantic City C.C., Northfield ♦
20. Trump National G.C. Colts Neck, Colts Neck

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/new_jersey#ixzz2JCmTaWi5

#75 in GW's Top 100 Classic 2012
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »

Steve,

If nothing else, anyone who would rank Liberty National ahead of Hollywood has to be an architectural imbecile ?

As to it being ranked behind Galloway, Bayonne, Trumps, Hamilton Farms and the Ridge has to be called into question as well.

As I look at the rankings for NJ, my first thought is that it's time to get new raters.

If the participants on this site rated the courses on that list, I'm fairly confident the order would change dramatically.

Galloway better than Ridgewood ?

Bayonne, Liberty, Trump and the Ridge better than Hollywood and Mountain Ridge ?
What a joke.

8. Bayonne G.C., Bayonne
16. Hollywood G.C., Deal

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Pat,

I couldn't agree with you more about the need for new GD raters...all across the country.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
John,

Why are you asking???

GD's NJ Rankings are a complete joke! Anyone who has played the list and is of right mind would reorder that ranking!

Hollywood is a much better course than a good number of those ranking higher. The mere inclusion of Liberty National anywhere north of #19 is an insult to the quality of golf in the Garden State. This is just one more concrete piece of evidence of how pathetic GD's rating systems and raters have become.

I have played each and every course on this NJ list multiple times and can only agree with #1's 1 & 21....most all the others are egregiously out of place.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:35:02 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

V. Kmetz

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
All,

I haven't seen or played but half of the courses on the list, but the rankings I can judge are indeed a joke.  Bayonne is a nightmare for all who play or toil on it.  My experience of the place is that 1/3rd of the holes are not finished by half the groups that play it.  Liberty is not for me either.  Much as it pains me to believe it or think it, I have heard good things about the Trump-Bedminster course, perhaps those reports are only by comparison to the other ones in the area.

PM,

With 14 and 22 years between visits, I can't recall the 18th at all...I do remember though the 1991 Met Open at Hollywood is where my world expanded a bit and that 4th hole got me thinking about architecture for the first time.  That's one of the nicest looking one shot golf tests anywhere.  fun and challenging to play as well.  But that's where it all started...and 22 years later I'm ranting about national policy. :-\

cheers

vk

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Somerset Hills and Plainfield CC are both among the very best courses I've ever played.  That there are potentially three courses in the state better than either of those courses speaks to the quality of golf in New Jersey.  Bayonne, Ridgewood, Mountain Ridge and Hollywood all intrigue me and I really hope I have the opportunity to play them, as well as New Jersey's 'big three' in the years to come.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
Hollywood is a fantastic golf course - the 4th hole alone is worth the visit!

Seriously, I would say that the course overall is a solid layout.

Hole 7 is a great par 5 with an awesome green.
Hole 14 is a cool hole, although modern technology has made it less of a beast.  Imagine 80 years ago!
Hole 16 is a great par 4 for the stout golfer, with a cool volcano bunker.

The rest of the holes are, for the most part, solid.
It's the type of sporty course one would not tire of playing.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
Alex,

# 14 has been lengthened considerably and remains  very difficult

Mark,

Include Essex County East and the Knoll on your list.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »

Steve,

If nothing else, anyone who would rank Liberty National ahead of Hollywood has to be an architectural imbecile ?

As to it being ranked behind Galloway, Bayonne, Trumps, Hamilton Farms and the Ridge has to be called into question as well.

As I look at the rankings for NJ, my first thought is that it's time to get new raters.

If the participants on this site rated the courses on that list, I'm fairly confident the order would change dramatically.

Galloway better than Ridgewood ?

Bayonne, Liberty, Trump and the Ridge better than Hollywood and Mountain Ridge ?
What a joke.

8. Bayonne G.C., Bayonne
16. Hollywood G.C., Deal

I couldn't agree more.  The NJ rating system is horribly flawed.  Trump MUST be influencing the ratings seeing that his four courses are ranked, when all four shouldn't (maybe old course, maybe).

NJ has pretty stacked up top, and I'd say Hollywood falls right about where Mountain Ridge would, in the 3-10 range of state's best.

In no particular order, my top 10 in jersey is:

PV
Plainfield
Baltusrol lower
Baltusrol upper
mtn ridge
hollywood
Essex county
somerset hills
ridgewood E/W
galloway

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »
Alex,

Mark,

Pat,

I haven't played it in two years, but I remember it being around the 430 yard range.  I could be mistaken.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
Alex,

Mark,

Pat, are Essex County East and Essex Count Country Club in West Orange one and the same?  If so, I have played it and enjoyed it, but for mine it does not compare favorably with either Somerset Hills or Plainfield.

John Burnes

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Steve Lapper-

I was asking because the guy who did my course, JH Norton, did Hollywood in 1900.  I've been trying to find what courses he did outside my place (he also did glen ridge and lawrenceville school's course) and now found he just did Hollywood.  Never played it, so wanted to get a general opinion.

So he did the original design, held the course record, and was the the groundskeeper..pretty cool.

see below from american golfer, 1900.

HOLL YWOOD.
HOLLYWOOD GOLF CLUB.—On the New York and Long Branch Rail- road, five minutes' walk from the depot.   Post office address, West End, N. J. Organized, 1897. Incorporated, 1898. Membership, 185. Annual dues, $25. A nine-hole course, with good greens, was laid out by J. H. Norton in the fall of 1898. The names, distances and bogey figures are: 1, Away With Me, 285, 4; 2, Punch Bowl, 378, 5 ; 3, Hoylake, 489, 6; 4, Sahara, 338, 4; 5, Park, 276, 4; 6, Long Hole, 558, 6; 7, The Sea, 238, 4; 8, West- ward Ho, 310, 4; 9, Surprise, 234, 4. Amateur record, 45, by Alfred Nathan. Professional record, 43, by J. IT. Norton and S. Patrick.   Some prominent

NEW JERSEY
players are: J. J. O'Donohue, Jr., 101 Front street. New York; Alfred Nathan, 36 East Seventy-second street, New York; F. K. Burnham, Savoy Hotel, New York; H.; B. Billings, West End, N. J.; and Charles D. Bern- heimer, 15 East Seventy-sixth street, New York. President J. J. O'Donohue; vice-president, M. M. Sternberger; secretary and treasurer, T. J. O'Donohue, Jr., 10T Front street, New York; chairman of house committee, Charles D. Bernheimer; captain J. J. O'Donohuc, Jr. Governing committee: The officers and Wm. R. Rolston, Chas. D. Bernheimer, C. H. Randebrock and Alfred Taff. Greenkeeper, J. H. Norton.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
John,

Interesting citation. I'm far from the most capable historian and researcher in this treehouse, but the present 18 hole Hollywood CC course is a design attributable to Walter Travis., not JH Norton. Others here are better at historical sleuthing than myself, so I'd be most interested to hear anything different.

Alex,

Certainly ECCC deserves a mention and a better ranking in the NJ list , as would Forsgate. Neither, IMO belongs in the top 5-6 on any list, but that's just further testament to just how strong the NJ field is.

As for Trump's "MUST be influencing the ratings," please know that only the predisposition to "course difficulty" as a GD rating category is a greater factor than the existing disdain GD has for all things Trump.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:27:17 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Burnes

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
Travis is credited for the current course, I just found that my guy did the og layout so its just a point of pride thing for me more than anything else.  He like alot of pros/architect at the time, have gone largely unrecognized for their important work in getting the game going in America.  I've been researching what other courses he has done in addition to mine, so this was the latest find.

Pat Burke

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
The original Hollywood was near Long Branch NJ.
Members sold and moved to the current location/

Original became Norwood  (nle)

John Burnes

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
Pat-

Thanks for the input-can you provide a reference as to the move (or even Hollywood history).

Thanks-

John

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back