News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Brandon Urban

Ross in Missouri Saved
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »
There was a nice article in the Kansas City Star this morning about the revival of Hillcrest Country Club in Kansas City, the only Donald Ross course in Missouri. This place has been on the brink several times and usually these types of stories don't end with good news. Also, disregard the picture that accompanies the story describing how they have brand new carts...

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/11/4006733/after-years-in-the-rough-a-golf.html#storyGallery

I haven't played there in years and even then it was before I had any idea what architecture really was, but I do remember the ninth hole and I'm hoping they get it back to what it was.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Jason Hines

Re: Ross in Missouri Saved
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
Very interesting article and this sheds some light on some of my experiences at both Hillcrest and Prairie Highlands.

I played Hillcrest early on a Sunday morning in the spring a couple of years ago after the ownership change and there was absolutely no one there at the time.  I thought the place was closed when I arrived. I loved the greens, classic routing and the par threes were very typical of the few Ross courses I have played.  The course is also a very decent walk, but the maintenance was a joke along with how you were treated.  I have been treated better by the airlines and at the DMV than I have at both of their courses.

I also believe this is the outfit that cut off public street access to residences at Prairie Highlands with goons and previously, Prairie Highlands sued the city of Olathe when the city tried to reopen a public course. 

http://www.olatheks.org/node/2901

If you wonder why the golf industry is shrinking, this group is or was one of the reasons.  This article sheds lights on some of the recent local history here in the KC area and I apologize for introducing the “negative Nancy” bent to the post.  However, based on this article, I will definitely try to visit Hillcrest again under the revamped ownership.

Thanks for posting Brandon.

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:09:12 PM »
I played it not long after the new owners opened it up to public play, and was not at all surprised to see a massive clubhouse and nearly new pool....  I talked to a fellow who'd worked there since the 1960s and he said that not long after the pool was done, the president came to the employees and said they couldn't pay the mortgage anymore.

At that time they'd opened up a wall to allow them to put in a little snack bar in what used to be part of the ladies locker room.

The course was in decent shape, and we were about the only people on it that day.

As bad as the new owners might be, they aren't committing the atrocities to it that the folk who bought my home course are, also a Ross and only about 75 miles from Hillcrest.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jason Hines

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
And what would those atrocities be Ken?  I see GLF is now involved with the Golf Club of Kansas as well.

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
Jason,

They have "invented" a new way of laying sod that involves throwing it out on top of the existing grass.  At SCC they've done it to about a half-dozen holes and the fairways are so bumpy that my electric motorcaddy is in danger of breaking an axle they've done it on their other courses and three years later they are still in the same condition. 

They also have a penchant for putting virtually no water on the fairways.  Now, when they first started drying it out, I wasn't at all concerned because I prefer the course a lot firmer than most of the folks around here.  But as the season progressed, and more and more turf disappeared, I started to lose faith.

They apparently (according to a member) did the same thing at the Golf Club of Kansas, but got bailed out by the rain from the hurricane remnants--which greened up the course.

They almost never moved tee marker, to the point where the grass under them died.... so I started moving them.  Now, I've been told that the reason they didn't move them is that one of the herbicides they used on the course wasn't intended for use on zoysia and it was badly stunted. 

They do some things that make you think they're going to be great, like light-frequent topdressing of greens, then they leave bunkers unmaintained for more than a week, and the course currently has about twice as many bunkers as it does rakes.

I've visited or talked to member at some of their other courses, and that kind of thing is the norm, as far as I can tell.  And, know the super at one of their other courses, who told me that he was the only person working on the course at the middle of the season. And it looks like it.

It will be interesting to see how they work out at Staley Farms.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jason Hines

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »
What a shame, I played Shawnee in Topeka 8-9 years ago and remember the course walkable, comfortable and especially remember the fun par 3 #17.

Several of us played GOK in October and the conditions were very good, however things were going dormant so I could see how that 5 inch rain helped fill in the gap.  Have heard good things about Staley Farms until now and the new GLF connection.

Good luck over there in T-town....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back