News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dunlop_White

The Donald Ross Web Library
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
The Tufts Archives, in conjunction with the assistance of the Donald Ross Society and their Foundation, just launched the “Donald Ross Web Library” -- the world’s largest digital collection of design materials by a classic architect. Thanks to the hard work of Archivist, Audrey Moriarty, and a host of volunteers, the newly-developed "Ross Web Library" contains more than 6,000 documents of more than 232 Ross courses, including green sketches, hole drawings, and routing plans that are now available to researchers and other interested parties over the Internet.

You may access the "Ross Web Library" at the following link. Go to the "Table of Contents" for an alphabetical listing of Ross courses, where you may browse through the assets.

http://www.tuftsarchives.org/dr-test.html

While each image is watermarked as a "read only" file, a carbon copy is always available for purchase.

Mark Pritchett

Re: The Donald Ross Web Library
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
Thanks for posting Dunlop, good stuff!

Hope all is well with you. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
I don't believe that the order form link on the drop-down menu is functional. If you see something you need, send an email their way. I tried it in Chrome and IE, with no success.

This is awesome. I loved looking at the CCBuffalo drawings.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:45 AM »
Dunlop:

What a fantastic resource.  Question regarding the accuracy of dates used in the Web Library as compared to the Ross Society course listing.  For example, the RS list has 1933 for his work at Allegheny, while the Web Library notes 1923.  Is one of the two sources to be deemed more reliable?

Thanks,

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Dunlop_White

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
This is a Beta Test version of the Digital Ross Portfolio. The order forms are not functional yet via the website. The assets are currently for viewing only on the website; however, if you see something you would like , you can always call or email in an order.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Sven -- Given that the DRS and Klein's DDR book list Allegheny as '33 and a Tuft's Archives Directory listing is '33, I would guess that this metadata listing of '23 was inputed incorrectly by accident. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:59:08 AM by Dunlop_White »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
Dunlop - what a fabulous achievement! Well done to all  :)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
I agree with Neil, Dunlop. Awesome stuff, thanks.
jeffmingay.com

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Fantastic reference material.  Thanks!!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
Very interesting to see the Minneapolis Golf Club officially included in the Ross archives, after being excluded from Ross's lists of courses for decades. The routing map included for display is the original 1917 layout designed initially by Willie Park, Jr., though it is attributed in the archives to Tom Bendelow, and there is no mention of Bill Clark, the first MGC pro who quite likely altered Park's plans before the full 18 opened.

The Tufts archives possess a later routing map, mis-labled Minneapolis Country Club, that reflects Ross's redesign, under the direction of Walter Hatch. That was discovered a few years ago through the diligence of John Crowley. It would make more sense to display that one in this archive entry, but the fact that the job is included at all is a big step forward.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
http://tuftsarchives.com/vex/vex1/images/FD967345-2DFF-4C3B-BAAF-429916486841.jpg

Interesting feature on the 16th green at French Lick that I have never seen on a Ross drawing: GRASS HOLLOW.

I noticed this when I played FL last fall that there was a water holding depression on the spot where the drawing designates the HOLLOW. Is this as unusual and as odd as it seems at first blush? Does anyone else know of other Ross greens that have these mini punch-bowl features?

I had assumed that the feature was from the build of sand splashing from the bunker, but apparently it was designed.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
Bradley

Come up to Schuylkill CC.  These "hollows" are everywhere.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »
I like the site and has useful information. But does anyone else have difficulty reading the routing diagrams? The logo is too dark for an easy read.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
Bradley,

At Essex, in Windsor Ontario, Ross' 3rd green features two distinct sections. This hole's a par 5 where the green features high right and low left sections separated by a ridge. Both sections of this green were designed as "bowls". I think his plan for this green is posted at the archive web site. (Come to think of it, the 15th green at Essex is a "bowl-type" green as well.)  

However, the "bowls" at Essex' 3rd green both surface drain effectively. Obviously, Ross wouldn't have designed a bowl feature on a green that didn't surface drain other than at perhaps Pinehurst, Seminole or another sandy, free-draining property.  
jeffmingay.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
Bradley, I noticed the feature at the Hill Course's 16th and assumed it had been flattened over time from sand splashes.  It reminded me of the thumbprint, albeit it much smaller, that Raynor and Banks often employed on short holes.

I also found it a little odd as the severe slope of the green would result in water draining directly into the bunker.    I'm guessing that such features were more prevalent at the corners of greens to drain water to the sides. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

hhuffines

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
There is an interesting article in today's News and Observer regarding the danger of losing some Ross documents at the Tufts Library in Pinehurst.  I don't have a link but I didn't realize they were in such need of additional funds.  Hope a little notice here might help!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 11:00:42 AM »
There is an interesting article in today's News and Observer regarding the danger of losing some Ross documents at the Tufts Library in Pinehurst.  I don't have a link but I didn't realize they were in such need of additional funds.  Hope a little notice here might help!

Here's a link to the same article as published in the Charlotte Observer (the Charlotte Observer and the Raleigh News & Observer are owned by the same company and share a lot of content).  However, the Charlotte Observer now charges for access on a basis that I haven't fully figured out, so the link may not work for you.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/18/4917979/decock-foundation-of-pinehurst.html

Tony Ristola

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:50 AM »
Perhaps something for the USGA to lend a hand with? For the good of the game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back