News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

Routing Map of Pinehurst No. 9
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
It's a photo of a photo (kinescope?) - so apologies for the image quality. I thought some of you might like to see it anyway.
This was done by C&C where the old Pit club was in Aberdeen - just about 5 miles from the main club. Non city miles, that is.
You probably have a lot of questions but I only know a little bit about it so probably I can't answer them too well. Anyway, it should be interesting enough as it is.
I don't know when they are going to build it - at some not terribly distant point in the future I should imagine.
I think it will be fantastic.

Here's a larger version you can scroll around.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Routing Map of Pinehurst No. 9
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
Damn, I was just on about this with one of your townsfolk. How does this overlay with the old The Pit property? Do they make use of new land?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »
Hi Ronald. This might help you get your bearings on where it will be. I think it may incorporate a couple of Pit corridors and that's about it.
Apparently, Coore was very happy with the land.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
Hi Ronald. This might help you get your bearings on where it will be. I think it may incorporate a couple of Pit corridors and that's about it.
Apparently, Coore was very happy with the land.

I'm already scouring the proposed routing vs the Pit aerial.  I wish I were more proficient with graphics,

Thanks for the info, Chris.

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
OK, I had a go at it. It's very rough and probably not that accurate but it might help you suss it out a bit.
From the look at the first map above I like the look of the 16th tee shot in particular. A big wide fairway with options and hazards is much more interesting and enjoyable to me than just attempting not to hit it in the woods.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:22:02 PM by Chris Buie »

hhuffines

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:21:25 PM »
Chris, thanks so much for this - very exciting stuff!  Any word on plans the Pinehurst folks will have for the course Nicklaus was working on?  I'm guessing it is close to the CCNC Cardinal.

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »
I gave it a shot Chris:

It looks like it only borrowed a few existing corridors, most or all going in the opposite direction of the old version.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:26:10 PM by Jim Colton »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
Chris,and Jim, Thanks for the overlay.
There were some great corridors at The Pit.

Chris Buie

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »
I don't think we'll be seeing any more Nicklaus courses in the area for a long time. A lot of people enjoy Legacy which he helped his son with though, BTW. I don't recall anyone telling me they didn't enjoy Legacy, actually.
No. 9 is very close to CCNC. You could easily hit a 9 iron from the 13th hole to the course over there. I wouldn't recommend that though.  ;)

Nice work Jim!

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »
Thanks, Jim - that's great stuff! 

I was wondering if they were going to abandon the "water" stretch from Pit 11-13 - and glad that they did.  11 & 13 were horrendous tee shots, and 12 was fairly cookie-cutter, I thought.

Upon examining the overlay, it is a completely new course. Whatever Pit corridors were kept were reversed.  For example:

- #1 looks like Pit #17 reversed
- #5 borrows 1/2 of Pit #8 reversed
- #6 - Pit #9 reversed
- #9 borrows 1/2 of Pit #15 reversed
- #11 borrows 1/2 of Pit #13 reversed
- #17 actually reverses the Pit driving range
- #18 - Pit #18 reversed

I find the reversals most interesting on #5 and #17, as I envision some very uphill approach shots. 

I also tried to determine which greensites, if any, are being maintained.  The only possible ones I see are Pit's 15th (Par 5) and 16th (Par 3), which may be utilized on the new 2nd & 8th (both short par 3s).

Chris,

I remember that there was another course that was started and abandoned on this property (North of the Pit front 7 and in lower left of Jim's overlay).  Was this portion of the property not deemed as good as the portion used, or are there future plans for this section of the property?  It would seem like another 18 could easily be added over the Pit front 7 and in the partially cleared area.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
That will one day be Pinehurst #10. I'm certain that the resort purchased that land as well. Did The Pit ever consider expanding to 27 holes? The roughed-out course resembles a 9-hole addition.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
This is very exciting, as there's currently only 1 course on the resort proper that I'm keen to play again.  Combined with the restoration of Mid-Pines and Dormie, getting back down there is becoming even more enticing.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris Buie

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
Kevin, I'm not sure what the plan is for that area. They could do any number of things with it. I've heard various things but we'll just have to wait and see. I can tell you that it is a good team at Pinehurst these days so I'm not concerned. Same thing at Mid Pines with Kyle et. al. There are a lot of good shepherds around these days.  A pity that is not the case everywhere.
The partial course that you can see in the aerial happened round about the late '90's I think. That was for Pinehurst - not as an adjunct to the Pit. I remember seeing a plan for virtually an entire town there in that general area. Then 9/11 happened.
Prior to that - in the '60's - there was going to be a course there named Old Yadkin, I think it was. It was going to be done by Peter Tufts (Richard's son). He built 7 Lakes instead.
Before that Frank Maples (Ross's right hand man) did his one and only design for that area. Unfortunately, the Depression put a stop to that. It was going to be I very large complex called Montevideo with an elaborate hotel. The remnants of the entrance are still around - on a side street.

David Schofield

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
That will one day be Pinehurst #10. I'm certain that the resort purchased that land as well. Did The Pit ever consider expanding to 27 holes? The roughed-out course resembles a 9-hole addition.

I read somewhere that the clearing north and west of the Pit was going to be Pinehurst #9.  Perhaps someone here could confirm that.

I'm surprised that they are moving the clubhouse from where the Pit's was.  If they used holes #5, 6, 17 and 18 as #1, 9, 10 and 18 they could share a clubhouse with future #10 spiraling off to the northwest.  Of course, this would keep the hazardous waste dump in play...  Sharing a clubhouse would be better from an operations standpoint, no?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
Not if they continue to print money...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back