News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Our Era
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
Every Era can be an improvement on the previous era, but almost always there is a difference. I have nothing against progress, and new courses of our Era can reflect this.

I believe also there’s a place for preserving some of the more typical efforts of our forefathers, particularly the good examples.

When in 50 years all Gil Hanses’s bunkers are squared off, and Tom Doak's routings are altered in the name of progress, will this be a good thing?

Does the banner of progress have a carte blanche to change EVERYTHING?

Personally I like to see examples of history and tradition in the landscape, and I also like to see brave new world originality. There’s room for both.

Couldn't agree more, John...

Hence I would like to see the best of pre-1900 design preserved (not many of these exist in near original form), the best of Golden Age designs preserved (more of these exist but still fewer than you would expect), some post-WWII RTJ style stuff, original Dye... right up to the best of Doak & C&C... Preserve some Desmond Muirhead... Preserve anything that was original for its time and/or great... Mess around with the rest...

Mac Plumart

Re: Our Era
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
Seems like MacKenzie brought great architecture to Australia and Alison the same but only Japan.

Is another component of our current era bringing great architecture to China?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back