News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Mainland US - Golf Course Superfecta
« on: December 28, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
No, not what you're thinking. Doesn't include any of GD's or GW's or GM's top-anything.

However, it does include the four golf courses that are considered the most nothern, southern, eastern and western places to play in the lower forty-eight.  ;D

N - Angle Inlet GC -  Angle Inlet, Minn. (this one has sand greens)

S - Key West GC, FL.

E - St. Croix GC -  Calais. Me.

W - Old Bandon Golf Links - Bandon, Or.

Has anyone played all of them? I would guess that someone here might have 3 out of 4, but who has ever been in Angle Inlet, let alone played golf there?  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Rick Shefchik

Re: Mainland US - Golf Course Superfecta
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
Here's a Minnesotan (Twin Cities area) who's never been to Angle Inlet. As they might say in Maine, you can't even get there from here.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
Rick,
You can't even drive there without crossing the border, twice!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
Angle Inlet is north of all the great lakes...amazing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »
Probably easier to get to Angle Inlet by boat and stop and get a limit of walleyes on the way to and from! Golf with a shore lunch. Outstanding plan.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Rick,
You can't even drive there without crossing the border, twice!

Sounds like they need a bridge.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
Suspension bridge from Cypress Point might work...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »

I was referring to the infamous bridge to nowhere.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
Years ago, there was a foursome that went and played the "superfecta" for 18-hole courses in the whole world -- northernmost, southernmost, easternmost, westernmost, and also the highest and lowest.  I can't remember some of them now, but the southernmost was at Invercargill, New Zealand; the highest was La Paz CC in Bolivia, and the lowest was Death Valley Resort.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

I was referring to the infamous bridge to nowhere.

i was referring to the Cypress Point bridge...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
Years ago, there was a foursome that went and played the "superfecta" for 18-hole courses in the whole world -- northernmost, southernmost, easternmost, westernmost, and also the highest and lowest.  I can't remember some of them now, but the southernmost was at Invercargill, New Zealand; the highest was La Paz CC in Bolivia, and the lowest was Death Valley Resort.

Planet Golf says:

• Most northerly course: Sondie Arctic Desert G. Cse., Kangerlussuaq, Greenland.
 • Most southerly: Ushuaia G.C., Argentina.
 • Most easterly: Tonga G.C., Nukualofa, Tonga.
 • Most westerly: Faleata C.C., Apia, Samoa.

Everything above the white lines in this photo is Canadian. Angle Inlet GC is the letter "B", the blue line represents the drive up from the Twin Cities (7.5 hrs).  It's 15 miles across the aptly named Lake of the Woods, represented by the red line. 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:12:19 AM »

Planet Golf says:

• Most northerly course: Sondie Arctic Desert G. Cse., Kangerlussuaq, Greenland.
 • Most southerly: Ushuaia G.C., Argentina.
 • Most easterly: Tonga G.C., Nukualofa, Tonga.
 • Most westerly: Faleata C.C., Apia, Samoa.

Everything above the white lines in this photo is Canadian. Angle Inlet GC is the letter "B", the blue line represents the drive up from the Twin Cities (7.5 hrs).  It's 15 miles across the aptly named Lake of the Woods, represented by the red line. 

Minnesota is facing a perpetual budget crisis, as is almost every other state. I hereby formally propose that the great state of Minnesota sell off the Northwest Angle to Canada. Very few Minnesotans live there; far fewer of us will ever go there, assuming we could figure out how to get there. Those who do live there would never know the difference.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
Rick,
 ;D

120 + - sq. mis. of land,  should bring a nice price.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:32:03 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Prime vacation land, Jim. The revenue from the sale should keep the lights on at the state capitol for at least a couple of days.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
Angle Inlet photo.  I'm sure raters will look other way on conditions. The population of 152 must enjoy the game.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back