News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Birkert

"Creating Classics: The Golf Courses of Harry Colt"
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
by Peter Pugh and Henry Lloyd.

I've just placed an order for this book, looks like it will make great reading. I was only very recently made aware of it and thought that others might be interested too.

It looks like it's published this side of The Pond so I'm not sure how available it will be in the US.

Paul_Turner

Re: "Creating Classics: The Golf Courses of Harry Colt"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Hmmm I wonder if this DG has been a useful body of research  ;)
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
I think I read on here that it is a very limited book as to the scope of courses covered. But the idea and cover looks cool.
H.P.S.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 12:34:27 PM »
They originally planned to publish right now in time for stockings!

I had said  that I thought Mr Pugh was something to do with Stoke Poges but checking what notes I have, I've got no idea how I gained that impressoin, he's the MD of the publishing company. :-[

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »
I recently purchased this book for only AUD 20 in a bargain book shop in Melbourne's boxing day sales. (books4less on Elizabeth and Bourke if anyone is interested)

I mainly purchased this for the pictures but started to read the odd description of the courses as there is a lot of quotes from Darwin used to describe them.  In the Stoke Park (Poges) section it is mentioned that the par 3 7th was the inspiration for the 16th at Augusta National.  This confused me as the 16th is no longer the MacKenzie original at AGNC, but in creating classics it is written as if stoke parks's 7th was the inspiration for the current 16th.  A quick look at Daniel Wexler's in my opinion piece confirmed that it was indeed the original 16th which was inspired by stoke parks 7th.  It is even more confusing as they talk about crossing a diagonal hazard and the green of the 7th having a similar slope to the current 16th.

Just wondering if anyone else who has read the book noticed this and what your general impressions were of the rest of the book?

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:37:06 AM »
Ross,

Like you I bought a copy for $20 and for that it is good value. 

The reviews on here were quite scathing at the time of release with the general feeling being that it had been rushed and featured too much copy and pasting with the authors not having a decent grasp of the subject matter.

Personally,  I thought it was a bit worse than that with many of the course summaries being pretty much unreadable. 

The pictures are good though. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »
Dave,

Agreed it has pretty pictures and the words are worth less than nothing and add nothing to the study and discussion of Harry Colt.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
Does anyone have Colt & Co. by Hawtree?  If yes, has anyone found it worth seeking out?
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »
I found the book lacking in judgement. For instance, it lists Alwoodley as one of his courses, yet acknowledges his lack of participation in the design process.  Like others, I thought the pictures were the best part.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
Does anyone have Colt & Co. by Hawtree?  If yes, has anyone found it worth seeking out?

It does have something that the new one lacks, mainly due to the fact the author knew his subject.  Much of it was filted by (ahem) Lord.  But nless you have a lot of money sitting around I couldn't really recomend it as a must buy either.

I'm still hoping that one day...
Let's make GCA grate again!

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
"I'm still hoping that one day... "

Me too.

Bob

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
The more I read it does seem you would be better off reading Darwin's book with "creating classics" open on the right page for some visual effects.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back