News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Twin Cities to Yellowstone Road Trip: Where to Play?
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
I'm planning on making a road trip to a friend's wedding in late May in Big Sky, Montana and am going to try to see Yellowstone while I'm in the area. Of course, I'd like to pack my sticks in the trunk and would want to play anything on the route worth seeing. Candidly, I'm not all that familiar with golf in the Dakotas, Montana, or North Wyoming so I was hoping those that are could recommend a few courses within a reasonable distance of my driving route.

Thanks in advance!
H.P.S.

Rick Shefchik

Re: Twin Cities to Yellowstone Road Trip: Where to Play?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »
Pat, if I were headed that way, I'd want to swing by the Links of North Dakota (Red Mike). Never played it -- even for a Twin Cities guy, it's just too far out of the way -- but when it opened it was considered part of the new movement toward linksy, minimalist golf and I always wanted to go there. I've often heard it's not in the best of shape, but with the oil boom around Williston, maybe it's getting more love.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Crowley

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Pat,
Definitely play the Links of ND. Played it on a GW trip about 5 years ago and loved it. Check out current conditions to be sure it is still being well maintained.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »
Not sure about the first 1,005 miles of your trip but in Bozeman (about 40 miles from your destination in Big Sky) Black Bull is worth a play.  It's a Weiskopf course, linksy, walkable -- was meant to be in a housing development but there are very few houses that have been built so the surrounds are surprisingly lovely.  It's private but shouldn't be too hard to get on with a bit of charm.  The course at the Yellowstone Club (also Weiskopf) is not as good as Black Bull imho and is not easy to get on (unless you know a member).  The public course in Big Sky is a Palmer design from the 70s and hasn't been touched since.  If you're itching to play it's a way to scratch that itch.  Walkable and lovely vistas! (if you want other info about Big Sky, pm me).

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »
Pat:

Rock Creek CC is not far off the interstate in Deer Lodge, MT. Hard to get to, because it's nowhere, but if you're that close, worth seeking out?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »
Pat, if I were headed that way, I'd want to swing by the Links of North Dakota (Red Mike). Never played it -- even for a Twin Cities guy, it's just too far out of the way -- but when it opened it was considered part of the new movement toward linksy, minimalist golf and I always wanted to go there. I've often heard it's not in the best of shape, but with the oil boom around Williston, maybe it's getting more love.

I would imagine that going as far out of the way to hit the Links of ND would be about the same as going out of the way to cross Nebraska instead. I hear there is some good golf in Nebraska.
Just drawing straight lines through LND to West Y on Google Earth gives 973 miles from the TC. Going through Mullen gives 977 mi.

The most direct route is through SD. The courses that have gotten some ink here are Red Rock in Rapid City, the course at Devil's Tower, and of course Sutton Bay, which has problems with land shifting and needing to build a new course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
Pat:

Rock Creek CC is not far off the interstate in Deer Lodge, MT. Hard to get to, because it's nowhere, but if you're that close, worth seeking out?

Rock Creek is about 3 hours past Yellowstone to the west.  I feel like it's worth the extra miles, but that might be hard to agree with after a 1000-mile trip.

I played the three courses on the North Dakota trail last summer.  Links of North Dakota was disappointing for me, but also of note is that it's a couple of hours out of the way to the north of the route you'd be taking.  Bully Pulpit, which I liked better, is about five minutes off I-90 so it is right on your way.  Hawktree in Bismarck is also closer to your route, depending on what you think of Jim Engh designs.  [If you have never played one of his courses, it's a good sample.]

I have not seen the Weiskopf course mentioned near Bozeman.  Note that some Montana courses [especially those around Big Sky] are at pretty high elevations and may be just waking up from winter, even in late May.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
Spanish Peaks is a Weiskopf design in Big Sky that is my favorite course in the area and well worth playing.  Moonlight Basin Ranch is a new Nicklaus course in Big Sky that opened up 9 holes a year or two ago; but they filed Chapter 11 so I'm not sure whether they are offering any golf there or not right now.  The Big Sky Resort course (Arnold Palmer design) is OK, but nothing special (last few holes are good).  Black Bull in Bozeman is worth playing, but isn't as good as Rock Creek Cattle Co. or Spanish Peaks.  I rank it about the same as Jack Nicklaus' black sand Old Works course in Anaconda (150 miles from Big Sky).  If you end up going through Northern Wyoming then I'd stop at Powder Horn in Sheridan.  It is a 27 hole facility that consistently ranks among the best public tracks in the Cowboy State.    

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »
Tom is correct about pushing your luck with late May in Big Sky, I believe that Spanish Peaks is at 7000 feet elevation.  Most courses up there hope to open Memorial Day weekend but aren't always successful.

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »
Pat:

Rock Creek is about 3 hours past Yellowstone to the west.  I feel like it's worth the extra miles, but that might be hard to agree with after a 1000-mile trip.

But Deer Lodge is only 100 miles approx. past Bozeman. With Montana speed limits, that's about an hour's drive. :D

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »

[/quote]

But Deer Lodge is only 100 miles approx. past Bozeman. With Montana speed limits, that's about an hour's drive. :D
[/quote]

Oh how I miss the days of not having a speed limit when driving in Montana!  We have a cabin outside of West Yellowstone and as soon as I crossed the border from Idaho to Montana it was peddle to the metal time!  At night the speed limit would drop to 55 mph which was a brutal adjustment to make haha

Dave McCollum

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
All of the courses I was going to reccomend are already listed above.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
If you took I 90, Valentine and Sutton Bay would be close to the route.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
Click on the link in the signature line of this post to see a map linking to threads on this site.  Click on the points on the map to see lists of links.  

Sutton Bay was well received.  It's not a course that I know personally but the review casts it as another destination course in the middle of nowhere. 

Edit: There's an interesting cluster of courses reviewed around Jackson Hole, if you are planning to stay for awhile.
Dave
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:25:46 PM by David Harshbarger »
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
The drive into Yellowstone from the northeast is one of the most dramatic and beautiful in America to the extend that weighs in of golf.  I did it in late day sun as well as early morning sun. It takes your breath away.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
The drive into Yellowstone from the northeast is one of the most dramatic and beautiful in America to the extend that weighs in of golf.  I did it in late day sun as well as early morning sun. It takes your breath away.

I'm assuming this is about Beartooth Pass from Laurel Mt. to Cooke City Mt. It is ranked top 3 in the US for crossing mountain ranges along with Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park and the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park. I also enjoy the northern route across the Big Horn Mountains out of Sheridan to enter the park from Cody Wyo.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Johnson

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Pat

If u can get on Yellowstone club do it.  It's a discovery land property so I know I will get ripped for even suggesting it. But still definitely a good way to spend a few hours

One of the most beautiful courses I can remember.  Actually a great way to see the scenery since the course will likely  be empty.

Typical weiskopf design but a bunch of half pars make it fun.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
Actually, in May you may need to inquire about whether certain roads into the park are open. In particular you will need to inquire about the Beartooth highway into the northeast corner of the park.

The entrance from West Yellowstone will most likely be open, but the whole park may not be open.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »
GT I agree on the road from Sheritan, Wy as well. but the Beartooth blows it away. I think both top the road to the Sun in Glazier. i did all three this summer.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 08:37:29 PM »
Click on the link in the signature line of this post to see a map linking to threads on this site.  Click on the points on the map to see lists of links.  

Sutton Bay was well received.  It's not a course that I know personally but the review casts it as another destination course in the middle of nowhere. 

Edit: There's an interesting cluster of courses reviewed around Jackson Hole, if you are planning to stay for awhile.
Dave

David,

That's a nifty tool. Any way to get it more accessible? I had no idea that existed until now.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
Pat,

Like Tom mentioned, Bully Pulpit is just off I-94.  Perhaps you could take I-90 on the return trip and stop to play Red Rock in Rapid City (which is pretty close to Mount Rushmore I believe).

Huntsman Springs is 85km's as the crow flies SW of Yellowstone, or you could venture northward to Rock Creek / Old Works / Canyon River.

TK

David Harshbarger

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
Jeb,

Think of it as one of the many Easter Eggs you find on this site.  Glad you like it.

Dave
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tony Weiler

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
If your route is I-94, you may want to play Hawtree in Bismarck as it is worth it.  Not minimalist or very walkable, but a good track.  I would also recommend The Links of ND but as others have mentioned it is a bit out of your way.  Bully Pulpit in Medora is right off I-94 as well.  I may have to start another thread (so as not to hijack this one) and ask Tom Doak why he was disappointed in The Links and liked Bully better, as I certainly don't see that.  Anyway, many other good suggestions, but not sure I'd drive through SD from the Twin Cities to get to Yellowstone. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
... not sure I'd drive through SD from the Twin Cities to get to Yellowstone. 

Surprisingly mapquest agrees with you. Mapquest puts it about 40 miles longer through SD. However, they go straight south on 35 to 90, whereas I would have headed off through Mankato and saved 30 of those miles. The route through SD gives you Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Devil's Tower. Whereas the route through ND gives you, well ND. ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »
... I may have to start another thread (so as not to hijack this one) and ask Tom Doak why he was disappointed in The Links and liked Bully better, as I certainly don't see that.  ...

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Bully has a lot of valley bottom play with a three hole loop into the badlands that is such a difficult walk they park free carts for people to take on the loop. LND has a lot of up, down, over, around, and through terrain that is not a difficult walk.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back