News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan Kelly

Yeah, and he never says (or even thinks): "That was a heck of an approach we hit. Pity you missed that little putt."

Outside Dick's sporting goods yesterday, my daughter Rose and I saw a guy with a two-dog team of terriers pulling a homemade Santa's sleigh, with Santa aboard and jingling as they went. Just about as cute as King the caddie!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kris Shreiner

No Jim...you didn't?! And right before Christmas so all of the last minute gifters can put in their order for "Caddie-pooch." The animal rights people would have a field day with this one. Hell, more people care about pets being well-treated than caddies from my experience.

Thanks for the humor though...I needed it today. Sadly had to put our black Lab golf-dog to sleep yesterday. "Struie" (yup, named after the wee course in Dornoch) ended his days just shy of his eleventh B-Day, which is New Year's Eve. He was a awesome pal and will be sorely missed by all who encountered his wonderful ways. He was my first dog (the Mrs. has had them all her life) and if I'm lucky enough to ever have another half as good as he was, I'll be very blessed.

Cheers mixed with some tears,
Kris :'(
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jim_Kennedy

Dan,
Many years ago I lived in the frozen north of upstate NY, near st Lawrence Univ. At the time I had two German Shepherds who made a game out of stealing the firewood and spreading it around the yard as I chopped it up. It was easy for me to teach them to carry it over to the house and drop it in the shed by paying them off with treats, although I failed in my attempts to get them to stack it up.  ;D

Jim_Kennedy

I don't know Kris, the time may be ripe to reintroduce our canine friends to the golf workforce. There are numerous articles suggesting the efficiency of dogs in this capacity, here is but one.

http://tinyurl.com/cmmgpu4

edit: too bad about your Lab.

Pete_Pittock

the caddy just cost him a two stokes penalty.

Jim_Kennedy

;D ;D ;D

Only if they've developed sign language.  ;)

Doug Siebert

I'd rather have a dog forecaddie.  Dip the ball in something strong smelling and have him run after it when you hit it and locate it for you, via smell if necessary.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Bob_Huntley

No Jim...you didn't?! And right before Christmas so all of the last minute gifters can put in their order for "Caddie-pooch." The animal rights people would have a field day with this one. Hell, more people care about pets being well-treated than caddies from my experience.

Thanks for the humor though...I needed it today. Sadly had to put our black Lab golf-dog to sleep yesterday. "Struie" (yup, named after the wee course in Dornoch) ended his days just shy of his eleventh B-Day, which is New Year's Eve. He was a awesome pal and will be sorely missed by all who encountered his wonderful ways. He was my first dog (the Mrs. has had them all her life) and if I'm lucky enough to ever have another half as good as he was, I'll be very blessed.

Cheers mixed with some tears,
Kris :'(

Kris,

I am sorry about Struie but you had him for almost eleven years and in the large dog world, that is pretty good. Get another puppy quickly.

I have had probably close to twenty dogs in my life and at the end of their lives vow not to go through the experience again. However, how can we live without a dog?

I think it would be a geat idea to have an O/T thread on dogs of Golf Club Atlas. If I knew how to post a photo of my dogs I would do so but I am reluctant to take Mike Benham's time doing it for me.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

Bob:

Email me all of your pics at brian.sheehy@firstcounsel.com and I'll be very happy to post them.

Will the thread be about our dogs generally or does there have to be a golf element??

Cheers,
B.

Brian,

If it is posted as OT I don't think a golfing theme is necessary.

Bob

Brian,

If it is posted as OT I don't think a golfing theme is necessary

Adam Clayman

I, like Kris, am opposed to animals being used as caddies. It's insulting to real caddies. We were playing trivia yesterday, and a Q came up about a course that uses these ______. I knew the answer was Llamas.

Kris, very sorry for your loss. I like Uncle Boab's advice.

Here's one of Pablo.  He just turned 8 and I never brought him golfing until about 15 months ago. He was so hardwired to chase balls, I thought it fruitless. Well, after only one training round, where all we did was distract him from the golfer as he swung, he has accompanied me 95% of the time. And never chased a single ball/ Squirrels are another matter. Btw, I've golfed more in those 15 months than I ever did on the peninsula.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim_Kennedy

Symbiosis -  "I'll steer, you pull"

Even Mickey thought they were a good idea.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx9fRL-b8pk
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:36:40 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Kris Shreiner

Thanks men for the kind sentiments. A dog gallery is a great idea, OT of course...unless there is a golf tie -in! I must say I have a great fondness seeing well-behaved dogs on-course. It happens quite often in the UK and especially on the rural courses, just has a rightness about it.

All the best gang in 2013!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Adam Clayman

Kris, You'd be surprised at how many people have never heard how common dogs are on golf courses.

But then again, Many people don't have a clue on how to raise a well behaved pet.

only a well behaved dog should be brought along for a round of golf.  I laugh everytime Pablo stops, stands perfectly still, until the player finishes their shot.  I know more than a few people who could take lessons from Pablo. And he's never read the first page of the rulebook, either.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Kelly

Kris, You'd be surprised at how many people have never heard how common dogs are on golf courses.

But then again, Many people don't have a clue on how to raise a well behaved pet.

only a well behaved dog should be brought along for a round of golf.  I laugh everytime Pablo stops, stands perfectly still, until the player finishes their shot.  I know more than a few people who could take lessons from Pablo. And he's never read the first page of the rulebook, either.

As far as you know!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jim_Kennedy

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:27:26 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Adam Clayman

Dan, Is that a necessary caveat when opining? Everything I know is as far as I know.

Oh, wait.... You were talking about Pablo reading.....  cute.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:02:55 AM by Adam Clayman »

Jason Hines

I would love to take my hounds with me on the course, however that would be beneath most of the membership at my club here in the big city.  One of the best threads on GCA was when Brad Swanson took his puppy to Wild Horse in Nebraska.

Brian, I am not a big OT thread promotor but great idea for a year end thread.

Kris, we lost our big golden retriever this year and I was surprised at how much we still miss him.  Most people that have not owned a dog, (they own us at times) never seem to understand.  I grew up in the country, hunting, seen a lot in the business world, traded commodities, etc. but get emotional every time our dogs have to leave us.

“We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet; and amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us. --”

Jason Hines

Meet the next Caddy of our family, “Dexter”.  A German Shepard Mix Rescue Dog from a kill shelter.  We adopted him this afternoon, this thread was the final nail in the coffin to pull the trigger.

John Mayhugh

Thanks for the laugh, Jim.  I could just see my clubs taking off in pursuit of a squirrel.  In the few times I've been able to take my dog out for a round, she has made a pretty good spectator.

Sorry about Struie, Chris. 
I'm sure Dexter is grateful for this thread, Jason.

Jason Thurman

Retweet.

I enjoy having my dog on the course or at the range, though it's a very rare experience. He's only 25 lbs, so I tether him to the bag. It's not really necessary as he's very well trained, but I'm not a big fan of dogs off-leash. He's also extremely quiet, and probably barks about 20 times a year total. He's never made a sound on the course.

As much as I like playing with my own dog, though, I'm happy to give up the option to do so on a frequent basis if it means that I also don't have to be on a course with other people's dogs. I love dogs, but find too many of their owners incompetent.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JLahrman

Going through life without a dog...what would be the point?

Jim_Kennedy

John,
A thread about caddie-dogs could only be in fun.

I do hate it when they putt better than me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bemycd2EbT0

damn show-off  ;D

edit: nice to see this thread had the positive effect of being the last prompt Jason needed to adopt a destined-for-doom pup.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:28:01 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Brian_Sleeman

Noonan has been on a few great courses, including 100 yard games of fetch at Crystal Downs, but he perfected his caddie abilities on Greywalls.  Here he has found an off-season divot on one of his hikes and is attempting to replace it:

I haven't taken him onto the course while I've played - yet.  But he has always carried himself well, and even offered to take the blame when Judge Smails had his unfortunate "flying putter" incident...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back