News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

C. Sturges

Northeast Ohio closes another golf course, Aurora Golf Club
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
Very sad news this Christmas day as another classic golf course closes its doors, the Aurora Golf Club.  Designed by Bertie Way, the property will go back to natural space, just as Acacia Country Club.  Sorry I do not have any pictures at the time, but here is the link: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/12/aurora_secures_47_million_fund.html#incart_river
All I can say is that it was my favorite course in the area that still has 5-6 courses in a few miles, but Aurora was the most fun to play and made you think the most, or at least in my judgement.
Happy Holidays and go play an old course before it goes back to the land...

Ronald Montesano

Re: Northeast Ohio closes another golf course, Aurora Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
sad as it is, natural space is better than developed space. maybe it's a kharmic trade-off for Sharp Park going our way.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Wow Chris...sad news indeed.  Unfortunately (as you know from our playing escapades these past two years) there are way too many "cheap" golf courses around the NEO area and these gems just cannot make ago of it.

Guess we better get out there next season and hit 'em hard...you never know which will be the next to fall!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

C. Sturges

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
Evan,  That is what I was thinking!  I also think people need to play more golf courses to spread there golfing dollars around. To bad there is snow on the ground today or I would.  What are your plans this week/weekend?  If it stays cold we could go make some turns?
chris

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
CSturges,

The article indicate recent purchases, was the club in financial distress ?

Was it ever owned by the members ?
Or was it a public golf course with a private owner

2.5 million for 186 acres sounds like a bank sale in 2009, had a bank taken it over ?

C. Sturges

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »
Pat,
The course sold a couple years ago, when it was private.  There are two other private clubs within a mile of Aurora Golf Club, that where built in the 90's as housing developments.  Many of the members left at that time to move to the new and greater courses, but with less architecture.  But I have learned that is not what the majority of golfers want.  As the membership declined the club was finnally sold, I am not sure if it was bank owned or not.  Many people I know in the area did not like the course because the greens had strong undulation and thought it was unfair.  It also needed to have many trees taken out(may hundreds!)  At this point it was easier for the membership to charge clubs, with no or very small money needed up front to join the other clubs.  To many courses in a small area.
The good news is atleast it is not going to be more Mcmansions.
chris

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »
My father spent his summers here as a young man as the Paddock's who owned the course in the 1950-1960 (maybe later) also owned the club in Mt Dora where he lived.  The pro at both the courses was Stan Kusnick who treated him like a son.  He started his career in the golf business as an assistant pro, to Stan.  This picture hangs in his office.  In the 1950's the course was pretty raw and difficult.

This is  a picture of the fifth hole.  We knew the club was on hard times, I thought yesterday's news about Acacia may have helped a bit although not in real close proximity.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
Chris,

I am not familiar with Aurora Golf Club, but am sorry to hear this news.

Still, I have long felt that the Cleveland area is special in the world of golf: it has a large quantity of decent, affordable golf. Here I am not referring to the obvious places like the Metropark courses Manikiki or Sleepy Hollow. 

Instead, I mean the many "mom and pop" courses that offer very little for golf architecture students but provide real insight into what is necessary to grow the golf industry.
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Mike,

What a neat photo showing a great use of a stream.

C. Sturges

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »
Tim,  very true about the number of mom and pop courses in northern Ohio.  I played about 30-40 new ones for me this year and still have over fifty to go.  These are all within two hours or less.  Some have very little to learn from, but many have something to make you think about going back.
Mike, have you played many of Paddock's other courses?  His older courses are a lot of fun.  I have played most of his courses in northern Ohio, but still want to see a couple near Dayton, and the one I want to see the most is Westwood CC in St. Louis.
chris

Nate Oxman

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »
Is this effective immediately? Will the course be open at all in the spring?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
With regard to other courses in the Aurora area, has anyone played the private Hudson Country Club?   My boss was a member in the '80's but I was never invited to play.   :P.   Is it still open?  What background, what quality?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
Any word on Fowler's Mill? Are they still open?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

C. Sturges

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »
Jay,  I have not heard anything about Fowlers Mill closing again.  I hope they stay open!

Bill, Hudson is still open.  If I had ten rounds they would all be played at Aurora.  Not sure of the history.

Hope others will reply with more info.  Dean?
chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back