News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Byron

The Architects Golf Club - New Jersey
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »
Just played this course today (43 deg/ 20mph wind weather here in New York) - it is a course in NJ that is enjoyable and walkable.  We may have been the only match out there today as golfers in this area avoid winter golf.

http://www.thearchitectsclub.com/2007/index.php

Course was built in 2001 and each hole notes a golf architect which is a nice thing to do - A.W. Tillinghast, Donald Ross and Alister MacKenzie etc

But it was great and a nice challenge. given the time of year yet I noted it was slightly warmer in Edinburgh today, so I hope that means the Scots were playing also!

And I love winter golf!

Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Patrick_Mucci

Re: The Architects Golf Club - New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:36:15 AM »
Jon,

It was tremendously windy today in Northern NJ, how  did you manage in combo with the cold ?

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »
Jon,

how did the course blend as a whole? The idea seems very appealing, at least, much more appealing than what's being done by Brian Curley at Mission Hills  ;D.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
It's an enjoyable course with a really boring 18th hole.   

PS - It was very cold and windy on Saturday.  How many layers were you wearing?  40F and 30 MPH winds aren't fun to me :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »

PS - It was very cold and windy on Saturday.  How many layers were you wearing?  40F and 30 MPH winds aren't fun to me :)

I love winter golf, but it was feaking cold out here here in Eastern LI.
30 mph winds, in the 30's most of the day with snow flurries.
Well done.
I am playing 9 today though as the wind has calmed
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »

I love winter golf, but it was feaking cold out here here in Eastern LI.
30 mph winds, in the 30's most of the day with snow flurries.
Well done.
I am playing 9 today though as the wind has calmed

+1 for winter golf. 43 is balmy but throw in a 30 mph wind and it is not for the feint of heart. Last winter was paradise for winter golf in Connecticut. Most years the go to spot is Shennecossett on the shoreline in Groton but there were courses open all over the place. Let's hope for a repeat performance. :)

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Tim,
43 today for a high
5-10 mph wind.
I hope you got out to Shenny today

Beautiful day of golf at Goat Hill.
dressed properly and with hand warmers was quite comfortable
Firm and fast and course in peak Goat condition
$5 honor box -hard to beat the value
Our 7 some, which included an 8 year old, a 10 year old and two 13 year olds played 13 holes in less than 2 1/2 hours,
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:19:43 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Byron

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
Played 18 at Architects again today.  It was one of the most enjoyable rounds of the year.  A few other golfers there also but we pretty much had it to ourselves.

The course is fun.  Lot's of entertaining holes, fun to play, nice fairways to go for. Walkable, not too many trees (unlike way too many courses in the Northeast) and greens in good shape.  Each hole has architectural virtues but in a good way.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back