News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Re: What are you more likely to do?
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
I, like many, don't have a problem playing golf as a single. I actually doing reasonably often, maybe once every week or two during the gold season.

I frequently head out to play a couple of nights a week after work. Sometimes I have something set up. Other times, I show up and play. It's the beauty of being a member of a club.

I guess part of the reason why I play as a single is because I don't have a lot of patience for practice. I want to hit some balls to get loose, but that's about it. I'd rather play nine holes than practice for 90 minutes.

I used to travel a bunch for work and had no issue eating by myself. I actually now enjoy eating lunch by myself and reading stuff on my iPad. It's nice to have a short break from everything.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »
Barny, whenever you start a thread, I always look for the underpinning - almost as if you're not introducing an honest query, but setting everyone up before detonating an intentionally provocative statement or a vector through the guardrail and over the ledge.

It is amusing to read you crow about the difficulty of cutting down your regular golfing suitors to six; I guess ol' Barny drops the hanky and the Rust Belt elite stand in line to throw balls in the air and flip a tee with you. Poor Stephen, well there must be something seriously wrong with him because even a crazy schizophrenic in Hoosier country has no problem getting a game. The data point you left out is that your regular coterie have never met Mr. Hyde - nor have a clue he exists.

Personally, when I go out to dinner alone - usually in a strange city on a business mission - I ask the hottest looking stewardess where she goes out when stuck for the night and go eat at the bar there. Sometimes I meet a fascinating person and sometimes not, but the worst outcome is a nice dinner, enough vino to soothe my jangled nerves and a time investment of no more than 90 minutes.

Playing as a single is largely dependent on context and circumstance. If I'm doing a G.D. rating, chances are I'm with another rater or a member of our Treehouse. If not, the Golf Professional is usually kind enough to arrange a game with a knowledgeable member with some insight into the history of the club. I've made some terrific friendships this way - most of the time they eventually appear on my doorstep so we can repeat the fun at Olympic.

Wandering out alone to a CCFAD or public track is something I avoid at all costs. The problem is that, similar to flying coach cross-country, the chances of being stuck with a chatty dullard for five hours increases exponentially when leaving the private sector. Yes, there have been a few lucky draws over the years - in coach class and places like Doak's track at Riverdale - but after suffering through a series of five and a half hour death marches with middle-management cubicle refugees sneaking away from a plastics convention, I'd rather pound nails in my johnson than cast my fate to the whims of daily fee purgatory.

Lest I am branded a snob (again) or a puerile wingnut (again, though it was a funny insult), there are few better experiences in life than a late-afternoon wander at a delightful, low rent muni with my childhood friends. This can include left-handed cigarettes and beer cans stuffed in my golf bag, but it is guaranteed fun. Even at a fancy CCFAD, the odds are too thin to take a chance filling out a foursome of corporate clowns . . . . I must be getting old.  

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:41:49 AM by Gib Papazian »

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:58 PM »
I'm far more likely to play golf alone than eat alone.  To me, food is fuel. I enjoy dining in the company of friends, where companionship rather than eating is the focal point of the activity, but dining alone holds no interest.  

In contrast, I consider golf to be intricate and interesting on a variety of levels: mental, physical, and quasi-spiritual. Even if I'm competing, I regard the challenge of the game to be me vs. the course or me vs. myself. I enjoy the companionship of others, but I also enjoy the solitary pleasures of the game itself.  The fact that I've lived for more than half of my life on a course that's regarded as exceptionally scenic and masterfully designed, and which is often nearly deserted, means that playing solo has been an appealing and convenient option.

As for the "quasi-spiriitual" remark, I'm tempted to say that on my bad solo rounds my "companion" feels like the God of the Old Testament, and on good rounds it's the God of the Gospels.  Truth is, on most of my solo rounds, I just feel profoundly grateful to be alive.  As I do when I'm playing with others.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »

It is amusing to read you crow about the difficulty of cutting down your regular golfing suitors to six; I guess ol' Barny drops the hanky and the Rust Belt elite stand in line to throw balls in the air and flip a tee with you. Poor Stephen, well there must be something seriously wrong with him because even a crazy schizophrenic in Hoosier country has no problem getting a game. The data point you left out is that your regular coterie have never met Mr. Hyde - nor have a clue he exists.

Gib,

This made me laugh. You make a good point and I think that some serious introspection on my part is due ;)

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
I like walking a course alone. Taking a few pictures or just trying to soak it in. But playing golf? Never alone. Why would you do that? Do you play tennis alone? Play basketball alone? Play a game of horse alone? I guess if its just about working on your game, then it makes sense. But to me playing golf and checking out golf courses are two different experiences. 

Don, it is not a proper comparison. The previous sports are sports where the competitor is the opposing team or player. Golf is a sport where the main opposition is the course, not the person you are playing with. I like what Patrick said above (highlighted in Mucci Green)

What you don't understand is that some are at peace with themselves and enjoy just being alone with the golf course, while others seek solace from the the outside world in the quite solitude found on the golf course.

Sometimes there's an ethereal experience that can only be found when one is isolated on the golf course.

I really enjoy playing with a group, but I equally enjoy playing solo.
Stephen,
Speak for yourself. I play matches against other golfers while we both try and find the best way to navigate the course in search of a victory. I realize I'm in the minority, and I'm not trying to act like some sort of purist or draw attention. But while I enjoy the course, I enjoy it better if it leads to an interesting match. That, I can not do alone.

Kevin_D

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
As someone who often plays golf with others as well as alone, I figured I'd chime in.  I relish the Saturday and Sunday morning rounds played as a match, for some nominal amount that seems like the Most Important Thing In The World to win at the time.  The competition, pressure, camaraderie, and natural flow of a fast-playing foursome is one of the best things there is in life.  However, I also often play by myself for 9 holes or so after work, and love that too.  The peacefulness of playing golf alone in beautiful surroundings for a couple hours with nothing to think about except how I am going to play the next shot is better than 100 hours of intense therapy with the best shrink in New York.

Meals I generally prefer with others, unless while watching a sporting event.  I'd rather be depressed about how awful the Eagles are by myself!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 11:26:11 PM »
I like walking a course alone. Taking a few pictures or just trying to soak it in. But playing golf? Never alone. Why would you do that? Do you play tennis alone? Play basketball alone? Play a game of horse alone? I guess if its just about working on your game, then it makes sense. But to me playing golf and checking out golf courses are two different experiences. 

Don, it is not a proper comparison. The previous sports are sports where the competitor is the opposing team or player. Golf is a sport where the main opposition is the course, not the person you are playing with. I like what Patrick said above (highlighted in Mucci Green)

What you don't understand is that some are at peace with themselves and enjoy just being alone with the golf course, while others seek solace from the the outside world in the quite solitude found on the golf course.

Sometimes there's an ethereal experience that can only be found when one is isolated on the golf course.

I really enjoy playing with a group, but I equally enjoy playing solo.
Stephen,
Speak for yourself. I play matches against other golfers while we both try and find the best way to navigate the course in search of a victory. I realize I'm in the minority, and I'm not trying to act like some sort of purist or draw attention. But while I enjoy the course, I enjoy it better if it leads to an interesting match. That, I can not do alone.

Don,

I don't really know what you mean by the phrase "I'm not trying to act like some sort of purist or draw attention", but I can see what you are saying about the way you play your matches, but it is still the course that you must navigate in order to be victorious. The fact is that in golf the opposing player has no ability to affect your shot except for what ability you mentally give them. It is not like this in tennis, basketball, football or just about any other sports. If a QB misses a pass, it is often because of pressure or physical impact that caused the arrant pass, in tennis if a player is not able to return a shot it is often because the opposing player played a shot that was too difficult to return. This is not the case in golf. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »
Golf is far easier a game playing alone just as it is more difficult playing when your scores are published in a local paper. While playing with a young child, of my own, I have both struck a hole in one and birdied the first five holes in a  round. What makes golf difficult, not unlike that tree that falls in the forest, is reproducing a smooth swing in front of an audience. it is such a simple game, not unlike public speaking, if no one is watching.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 11:51:18 PM »
Golf is far easier a game playing alone just as it is more difficult playing when your scores are published in a local paper. While playing with a young child, of my own, I have both struck a hole in one and birdied the first five holes in a  round. What makes golf difficult, not unlike that tree that falls in the forest, is reproducing a smooth swing in front of an audience. it is such a simple game, not unlike public speaking, if no one is watching.

While I would not go so far as calling golf an easy sport (you must be a far superior player than me), I will agree that it is easier to play solo. This has very little to do with what your player partner does and everything to do with the added pressure you put on yourself to perform.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
Stephen,
While I can certainly play for a safe par when my opponent has hit it to a foot, or try a heroic shot when he has dumped it in the water, the fact is, I AM trying to put pressure on him when I can and I will sometimes react to what he has done. I'm not trying to post a number, I'm trying to beat him. That is match play golf and I can't do that by myself. 

Stephen Davis

« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2012, 12:19:11 AM »
Stephen,
While I can certainly play for a safe par when my opponent has hit it to a foot, or try a heroic shot when he has dumped it in the water, the fact is, I AM trying to put pressure on him when I can and I will sometimes react to what he has done. I'm not trying to post a number, I'm trying to beat him. That is match play golf and I can't do that by myself. 

You are correct. I guess I don't play enough match play because I don't really think about golf in this way (which I guess goes back to the fact that I play the majority of my rounds alone).

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
Stephen,

As someone who also plays a lot of golf alone, and cares about my score when doing so, I'd recommend match play when you're playing with a friend who wants to have a game.  I like the contrast, and I like not letting a bad hole spoil a round.  Also, although I'm not very competitive by nature, if my friend makes a 10-footer and I've got a 5-footer to win or halve the hole, it's more fun (and entertaining in the retelling) than having to make it merely to save a stroke on the card.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »
I love to eat, and I love to play golf, and I am happy to do either in a group, or by myself........

Played 36 solo yesterday, although I had a caddy for the first 18, total time expenditure, about four and a half hours.

Went out again this morning, just me and my iPod, played 18 in less than three hours,once again on foot.

You gotta love Christmas in the south!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
Didn't Woody Allen say, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Don't knock solo rounds; it's golf with someone I love!"?

Well, close enough...
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Sherma

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
I believe that there is a big distinction that has not been explicitly made here.

There is a big difference going out to a course that's fairly empty (private club or early morning/evening on some publics) with the intent to play by one's self and going out to a course as a single with the assumption that you'll be joined up with others. i do the first fairly often, but the latter quite rarely. It has to be somewhere special to entice me to play a round with strangers as opposed to getting a good practice session in.

The eating comparison would be going someplace and sitting in a dining room alone as opposed to sitting at a bar (I am leaving out the Italian family style restaurant as I doubt there are many around, the only one I ever ate in was in Little Italy in NYC).

Looked at this way, I am much more likrly to intentially play a solo round and eat by myself at the bar then choos to be joined up with a group (Agreeing with much of what Gib said in terms of leaving open the possibility of picking my spots on this) and eat by myself in the dining room.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
I'm like a lot of you. I used to fly every week for business. I'd bring clubs and was happy to see new courses playing as a single or getting paired with locals. I also had to get used to eating alone, and I damn sure wasn't spending my per diem on room service pizza when I did. If I got $55 a day for food, I used no less than $54.73. Sometimes that would mean going to a pretty nice spot and sitting at the bar. Admittedly though, I would never go to a restaurant alone when not out on business or something like that.

I've met some great people, eaten outstanding food, and played some fabulous golf courses.

My life has no shortage of socializing in it. I'm a healthcare quality coach, and spend most of my time teaching classes, giving presentations, strategizing in meetings, explaining new concepts to doctors and nurses, and managing projects with my clients. I have a wonderful wife who hates being or hearing quiet. I spend an inordinate amount of my life "on," and occassionally it's nice to turn everything off and go do me. When that happens, I'm happy to sit on my couch and watch The Wire or an NBA game alone, just like I'm happy to go to a golf course alone. If it's a nice day out, I prefer the latter.

I don't play alone often, but I completely enjoy it when I do. Not more than playing with a group, but differently than playing in a group.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back