News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

What are you more likely to do?
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
Go as a single to a golf course?

or

Go to dinner and sit as a single?

Why?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John McCarthy

Re: What are you more likely to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
I play about half of my rounds as a single.   A quick round at dawn lets me work all day.  . I won't get the value of eating a fancy meal by myself. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Bill Seitz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
Definitely go as a single to the golf course.  I can eat at home.  I can't very well play golf at home.  This analysis holds for concerts vs. movies as well.  I tend to go to a lot of concerts by myself (probably due to my musical tastes), but I never go to movies alone.  But I can wait for a movie to come to cable or DVD.  I have limited opportunities to see the particular live bands that I want to see. 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
I do both.  Most of my GBI golf was as a single or randomly paired.  Most of my dining is with a book.             

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
What a great question! I absolutely HATE to eat alone, yet feel perfectly showing up to course as a single.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
I can always hook up with someone at the club to play with- if I do that in a restaurant my wife will have my head on a platter! ;D

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
Golf course. When I have to dine alone i will do so at the bar because I find the interaction with the waiter/waitress awkward.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »
Depends on how long it's been since I last ate.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
I've spent my entire life wishing to be left alone and now that I got my wish it ain't all that I thought it would be.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
Much of my golf is alone in the evening.  I love the opportunity to walk the course in  the quiet and practice and play.
I enjoy lunch alone but would rather eat the evening meal with someone.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Joe,

Certainly prefer to golf alone than dine alone.  In fact, quite often I would rather play golf alone instead of in a group, granted the course has to be relatively empty to truly enjoy the experience. 

TK

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »
I'm much more likely to play as a single, which I quite enjoy as long as there's no wait.  I rarely go out to dinner alone.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »
I've played a few well regarded courses alone, and I've gone to some nice restaurants when on a trip, alone.  If the quality is good, I rather enjoy the experiences alone.  I don't mind just going out alone to golf or eat when the opportunity is such that no one else is around with whom to participate.  Sex, not so much...  ::) :-\ ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »
The running joke in my apartment is that I always eat alone. So I certainly don't have anything against it. But golf alone is one of the most enjoyable experiences on the planet, with one of my best memories being a round in solitude at Cape Kidnappers.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Martin Toal

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »
Happy to play as a single, provided I am not stuck in a procession of 4 balls and it takes all day. If the course is even slightly busy, much better to be paired up, though.

Equally happy to eat alone, e.g. when travelling on business.

Brian Finn

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
Interesting question...

I have rarely hesitated to go to the course alone, whether hoping to find a game or intending to fly solo.  I have met many interesting people over the years, and find both the social aspect and friendly competition rewarding.  Having said that, I have had some of my most enjoyable rounds on my own, both while traveling and at home.  This past Summer, I regularly went out Sunday evenings for a solitary game, and loved every minute.  I suppose it is the closest thing to meditation for me, and I love being able to walk the course at my own pace, usually finishing in under 3 hours.

In terms of dining alone, I must admit to being pretty self conscious about it.  I am not exactly sure why, but I typically go the bar route (or even just order room service when traveling) when eating out on my own.  The only thing I might enjoy as much as playing a great golf course is enjoying a good steak, so perhaps I should get over it. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jim Sherma

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
I can enjoy both golf and dining by myself.

It's a different question if I know I'm going to be randomly put together with someone. I think I'd much rather golf with other golfers I have not met yet. However, it would be interesting if restaurants filled in foursomes, as a single could probably meet some interesting dinner companions. I wonder if anyone ever brought their dying rabbit to Le Bec Fin or other fine restauarant?

John Foley

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
I do both and do them quite a bit.

On the golf route I will play at my home course a bit as a single but playing when I travel it's planned as a single but many times I'm put into a group or paired with another.

On the eating side, when I am on the road for work much of the time it's the only way I get a meal. When at home though I will grab a friend.

My question to the professor is why the question?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »
I'm comfortable with both, but prefer the comraderie of being with others.............. sometimes,......... depending upon who they are  ;D

Stephen Davis

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
I am another who frequently golfs as a single. I play the majority of my rounds alone. If I didn't go for a round as a single, I would never get to play.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »
I have played golf my entire life, or at least the last 44 years, and always felt sorry for the poor soul who I saw golfing alone.  This thread has made me both melancholy and sad for the people who find solace in seclusion.  Where is the joy is loving something that is not shared?  It is either the loneliest of lonely's or a lie to ones inner self.  I apologize for you to yourself.

The worst of it all is considering the fine places most of you are playing alone.  Really?, you didn't know anyone who may have wanted to tag along.  How selfish is that?

Stephen Davis

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 11:55:53 PM »
John,

I can understand where you are coming from and really enjoy the times I am able to golf in a group. However, there are many times that others are too busy or don't want to golf in the current conditions. Also, there are those times when a little mediation is wanted/needed. I have found that a few hours on the course with my thoughts is often very beneficial.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »
John,

I can understand where you are coming from and really enjoy the times I am able to golf in a group. However, there are many times that others are too busy or don't want to golf in the current conditions. Also, there are those times when a little mediation is wanted/needed. I have found that a few hours on the course with my thoughts is often very beneficial.

Why do you think you don't have a game?  I'm playing tomorrow in Indiana and our biggest problem is cutting the number below 6.  Golf is meant to be played in the company of others, it is far to easy a game without witnesses.  I know that not a single person on this board is more abrasive, hateful or judgmental of others more than me, as I have shown time and time again, yet I never play alone.  What is the problem?  Are you really that scared that someone may see how much you suck, or that selfish to share a failure or congratulate an accomplishment.  You guys have some explaining to do.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »
I never go to a different course by myself, I go to my course all the time by myself. Most times it's in the evening so I'll hit some balls and then go walk the first 4 holes until dark. Earlier in the day even if I go out by myself I find a group I know to hook up with. Unless I'm fighting dark I hate playing golf alone.

Sometimes I will go to a restaurant by myself but this is usually only if my girlfriend is out of town.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
playing golf alone can be blissful - at times. However, eating alone is...well just depressing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back