News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: What are you more likely to do?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 12:49:07 AM »
I am very comfortable asking another man to go golf with me, eating and movies just seems too intimate.  I mean really, why do I care how he chews his steak.  I never know where to sit when going to a movie or dinner with a buddy.  This is why I had a family, to eat, to worship and to sleep.  Golf, gambling and the occasional drink not associated with golf or gambling is the time I enjoy with others.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
Joe,

I never thought going to play golf as a single meant being alone. Years ago when I made my first trip to Ballybunion I wasn't there more than a few hours before making friends I have had for 25 years.

Then, too, going to local munis as a single has meant getting fixed up with all sorts of interesting people.

Best experience may have been one that started out not so good. I went to play Black Wolf Run for the first time and got matched up with two people who said they had only played golf once in their lives. When I asked why they had chosen to play Black Wolf Run they responded by saying "they heard it was a good course". Hard to argue with that logic  I responded trying my best to be polite after seeing they could barely hit the ball.

But, God intervened. Just as we were leaving the 1st tee the starter said a fourth person would be joining us who turned out to be a really attractive young woman who also proved to be a good golfer.

I had planned to walk, but fortunately this woman invited me to jump on her cart after the 3rd hole.

Well, we got along well enough to make a bet on the eighteenth tee for dinner afterward with me giving her one stroke.

We both made 5 giving her the win and me paying for dinner with a rather charming lady. It was a win-win!
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
I have played golf my entire life, or at least the last 44 years, and always felt sorry for the poor soul who I saw golfing alone.  This thread has made me both melancholy and sad for the people who find solace in seclusion.  Where is the joy is loving something that is not shared?  It is either the loneliest of lonely's or a lie to ones inner self.  I apologize for you to yourself.

JakaB,

What you don't understand is that some are at peace with themselves and enjoy just being alone with the golf course, while others seek solace from the the outside world in the quite solitude found on the golf course.

Sometimes there's an ethereal experience that can only be found when one is isolated on the golf course. 

The worst of it all is considering the fine places most of you are playing alone.  Really?, you didn't know anyone who may have wanted to tag along.  

I know an inordinate number of people and am not at a loss for a game, but sometimes I prefer to enjoy the golf course by myself.

How selfish is that?

It's not my job to entertain other golfers.

I'm there for my own enjoyment, not to please others

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »
I have played golf my entire life, or at least the last 44 years, and always felt sorry for the poor soul who I saw golfing alone.  This thread has made me both melancholy and sad for the people who find solace in seclusion.  Where is the joy is loving something that is not shared?  It is either the loneliest of lonely's or a lie to ones inner self.  I apologize for you to yourself.

JakaB,

What you don't understand is that some are at peace with themselves and enjoy just being alone with the golf course, while others seek solace from the the outside world in the quite solitude found on the golf course.

Sometimes there's an ethereal experience that can only be found when one is isolated on the golf course. 

The worst of it all is considering the fine places most of you are playing alone.  Really?, you didn't know anyone who may have wanted to tag along.  

I know an inordinate number of people and am not at a loss for a game, but sometimes I prefer to enjoy the golf course by myself.

How selfish is that?

Patrick,

I have both studied and admired you for years on end and know that you are if anything an honest man.  I can see you hitting balls or practicing alone, as I did today, but I can not see you playing this game alone with no witnesses or ears to both see and listen to your interesting and informative opinions.  Not to mention the beauty to which you must strike the ball.  Come on man, really, out of 100 rounds you may play in any one year how many full 18 holes are played in the absence of an audience?

Paul Gray

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 08:16:27 AM »
I have played golf my entire life, or at least the last 44 years, and always felt sorry for the poor soul who I saw golfing alone.  This thread has made me both melancholy and sad for the people who find solace in seclusion.  Where is the joy is loving something that is not shared?  It is either the loneliest of lonely's or a lie to ones inner self.  I apologize for you to yourself.

JakaB,

The worst of it all is considering the fine places most of you are playing alone.  Really?, you didn't know anyone who may have wanted to tag along. 

How selfish is that?

Patrick,

I'll try not to choke on my own words whilst writing this ( ;) ), but I couldn't agree with your sentiments more.

A summers' evening on a links with just your own thoughts for company is the best place I know for serenity and self-effacing humility.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
Paul,

I feel your pain  ;D

But then again, everyone is entitled to my opinion  ;D

I'm glad to see that you finally got your computer password protected ;D

A woman whom I like, but constantly disagree with, mostly in fun, in exasperation said to me, "you're impossible and there's nothing we can agree on".  I said, "you're wrong again".  She said, "how so ?"  I said, "Suppose hurricane Sandy hit your area hard and you had to evacuate and the only available hotel was sold out with only one room available, with twin beds, and you had to share it with two strangers, a man and a woman.
Into whose bed would you go ?"  She said, "The woman's of course". To which I said, "you see, we finally agree, so would I"

JakaB,

I didn't say that I preferred playing alone, but look at it this way.

If you're married and madly in love and attracted to your wife, do you occasionally enjoy just being by yourself ?
It doesn't mean that you don't love her or that you don't want to be with her, but sometimes you just need your space.
You need to be alone.  You need to be with your own thoughts and no distractions.
Well sometimes, you just need to be on the golf course by yourself.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've sat/stood and just enjoyed being out on the golf course by myself, mostly in the late afternoon, drinking in all around me, watching the deer come out to graze, looking at the longer shadows and the features exaggerated by the setting sun.
There's an inner peace that overwhelms and calms the spirit, it's quite special.
You should try it on a course you love.  You won't be disappointed.

P.S.   we should play one day this Sping/Summer
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:56:56 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
Patrick,

Yes we should play, thank you. I think the playing alone argument falls flat on it's face when the very same people openly admit that they would prefer to have their dog along. They don't want to be alone, they want to not be bothered by other golfers. There is were I see the selfishness in the single golfer.

Even your kind gesture to me over the Internet that we should play someday brightened my morning. We should all do they same for a friend or stranger before we head to the first tee.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
I like walking a course alone. Taking a few pictures or just trying to soak it in. But playing golf? Never alone. Why would you do that? Do you play tennis alone? Play basketball alone? Play a game of horse alone? I guess if its just about working on your game, then it makes sense. But to me playing golf and checking out golf courses are two different experiences. 

Ivan Morris

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »
I'll eat on my own anytime, anywhere when I'm hungry but I don't enjoy it. I love playing golf on my own - but only if the course is clear. It makes me feel as if I own the place! One of my favorite stories is turning up at Royal Birkdale in the early 1980s alone. There was nobody to accompany me but I was offered a caddy that turned out to be Alfie Fyles, who caddied for Gary Player and Tom Watson in The Open. When we reached the second tee, I asked him if he wanted to play. He didn't hesitate and we played for half his fee. He never once miss-clubbed me and I managed to play very close to par and beat him by 2/1. We went out for a second 18 and I won again! He was as pleased as I was and, of course, I gave him the full fee.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:43:31 PM by Ivan Morris »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »
Go as a single to a golf course?

or

Go to dinner and sit as a single?

Why?

It depends on how nice the weather is, what time of day it is, and most importantly how hungry I am...

As a road warrior I too do both on almost a daily basis.  I have no problem with either, but when I am on the course as a single I am usually hoping that the groups I catch up with are open for me to join up with them as opposed to just play through.  

However I don't normally just walk up to a table with two or three people in a restaurant and ask "Do you guys mind if I join you?"   So I guess based on that I must prefer eating alone to playing golf alone.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
Some of you have listened to me play golf before, so it may not surprise you that it's almost NEVER a solo performance. Too boring. All this chatter about the peace and transcendance achieved while golfing alone is lost on me. As for eating alone?  I'll do it with a copy of the NYT, which is technically alone...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:11:16 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BHoover

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:15 AM »
I will play alone if necessary, but I usually get bored playing solo. I would much rather play with a group and have some sort of game. It doesn't have to be much, but my attention Spanish is limited unless I have something on the line.

As for eating alone, I do it all the time. What I won't do, however, is drink alone.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
I used to be condescending towards golfers playing solo. 

I'm a sociable guy but I now play about 1/3 of my golf alone - it's great.  It's like going for a run but far more interesting. 
@Pure_Golf

Greg Taylor

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
Showing up as single and hooking up with random strangers... I actually respect your commitment to the game and I do the same.

Eating alone - unless on business - isn't enjoyable. Better to order the crap pizza from room service.

Alex Miller

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »
I have no problem playing alone, but I often use it as a means of working on my game. Golf is certainly more fun with other people for me, but I've walked out as a single and played with strangers and sometimes even by myself. I don't think there's anything "sad" about it if you love what you're doing.

I've never eaten alone in a restaurant or gone to the movies alone. Different strokes for different folks.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
Patrick,

Yes we should play, thank you.

I think the playing alone argument falls flat on it's face when the very same people openly admit that they would prefer to have their dog along. They don't want to be alone, they want to not be bothered by other golfers. There is were I see the selfishness in the single golfer. [

Years ago I ran into Archie Baird at Gullane.  He had his dog tethered to his bag.  As he was about to tee off I approached him and told him how lucky he was to be able have his faithful companion accompanying him for the round.  I told him that I would love to have my Alaskan Malamute and German Shepherd accompany me, but that it's rarely acceptable in the U.S.  
For someone who loves dogs and golf, walking 18 with your dog/s is special.  If you're not a dog lover, you won't understand the experience

Even your kind gesture to me over the Internet that we should play someday brightened my morning.

Well, we've come to know each other over the years on GCA.com, so the best place to finally meet would be on the golf course.
Come East this Spring

We should all do they same for a friend or stranger before we head to the first tee.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
for golf, i'd say 90% of my golf is without a traditional tee time.

About half is in a standing Saturday or Wed afternoon game where everyone just shows up at a certain time and makes pairings.   The other half is usually by myself late at night.   end up pairing up with someone about half of the time (which are almost always the same people) so that is almost kind of like a standing game.

I think one of the big reasons for belonging to a private club is the ability to show up without a tee time in advance.

As for dining, I travel a bunch for work as well so i have no issues with eating by myself.   I will usually eat at the bar if I dont have much to do (and can be a little social with bartender or other patrons).   If I have a bunch of work to do, I'll usually ask for a table.

Occasionally, I will also insist on eating lunch alone when I am in the office just to get away for a little bit.

I've noticed that with the advent and explosion of iThings, more and more people are also eating alone since there is less aloneness if one is imersed in facebook, twitter, GCA, etc.

For movies, I am pretty in the minority.  Its the one activity of the ones listed which I PREFER to do alone.   Maybe its because of my proclivities I always show up 20 minutes late to miss trailers and hate it when people try to talk to me during it.

I'll also go to a decent amount of sporting events alone.   I have a partial season ticket plan (2 seats)  for the Timberwolces but will buy a bunch of other games as single seats.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

My question to the professor is why the question?

John:  I had this gut feeling this could be an enlightening thread with nobody indicating the last top 100 course they played or desire to.

And since your post I've not been disappointed.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
A Two Ball or Four Ball Match is my preference. Nothing better then giving someone a two footer for bogey instead of watching them grind over it (unless they need it to win the hole).

Far too much stroke play in the states has hurt pace of play.

A solo round is ok as long as I can keep the voices in my head from talking in my backswing.

I have two children under 3 so solo dinner or entertainment is rare.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »
Patrick,

Yes we should play, thank you. I think the playing alone argument falls flat on it's face when the very same people openly admit that they would prefer to have their dog along. They don't want to be alone, they want to not be bothered by other golfers. There is were I see the selfishness in the single golfer.

Even your kind gesture to me over the Internet that we should play someday brightened my morning. We should all do they same for a friend or stranger before we head to the first tee.

JaKa-The veil of your cold exterior has been pierced. Mush! ;D

Stephen Davis

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
I like walking a course alone. Taking a few pictures or just trying to soak it in. But playing golf? Never alone. Why would you do that? Do you play tennis alone? Play basketball alone? Play a game of horse alone? I guess if its just about working on your game, then it makes sense. But to me playing golf and checking out golf courses are two different experiences. 

Don, it is not a proper comparison. The previous sports are sports where the competitor is the opposing team or player. Golf is a sport where the main opposition is the course, not the person you are playing with. I like what Patrick said above (highlighted in Mucci Green)

I really enjoy playing with a group, but I equally enjoy playing solo.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
While I enjoy the fellowship, I would be perfectly content to play alone the rest of my life.  I grew up that way, where I was not welcomed to join the men in a time when off-color jokes and cold beer were off limits for young boys.  The only time I was allowed in the bar (ironically, in a dry county) was to claim my club championship trophies.  I have always found the course to provide more than adequate competition and recently I have come to place a great premium on quiet.  I've traveled to Scotland alone, and I'll probably head down to Streamsong next month alone.  

That said, I would hope that none of you I've had the privilege to play with would consider me poor company, and I look forward to our next round together.

Mike  

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:26:38 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:58:56 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Nah, I don't play alone unless the course is special and convenient.  I spose its the same for eating in restaurants.  i don't mind going into diner alone, but not a proper restaurant. 

I know I have said this before, but I am totally lost on the course as a competitor as Stephen describes.  To me the course is the playing field and competitors are other golfers.  I can see hitting shots as practice and imagining some sort of battle with lord who knows who, but not with the course.  this probably explains why I don't go ga ga over the artsy fartsy aspects of gca.  I am far more a nuts and bolts kinda guy who focuses much more on the design elements rather than the shape of a bunker or how well groomed the grass is.  Sure, I appreciate cool artsy fartsy stuff now and again, but that is all side show bob stuff that isn't going to make or break my day.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »
To each their own.

Here's hoping that all of you have someone (or some people) to dine with during this holiday season.  And if you're lucky enough to be playing golf, may your companions, whether human, canine or rabbit, be kind in spirit. 

And if you chose to play alone, I hope the solitude brings peaceful thoughts.

All the best,

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back