News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Re: New Orleans - Should I even think about it?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »
Archie, I'm there a little longer than 2 or 3 days. Plus, I don't see any reason both can't be had. I've never played in the delta and would be remiss to miss. Even if the terrain isn't conducive for great golf, seeing how designers handle that obstacle should be an edumacation.

Adam,

Give us your coordinates and space time windows and ms sheila & I may fly over to golf & have dinner... though last time we were there a year or so ago, NOLA was only a shadown of what it once was... our fav restaurant was gone, prices high,  and we felt like a target...

sev
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 04:27:08 PM »
I get to NOLA frequently as my wife is a native, (Academy of the Sacred Heart girl).

My GF is a Domincan girl.

Metairie is a great old Raynor course.  All the template holes.  Not much going on that piece of ground, but a wonderful membership and a fun round of golf.  Don't miss the Grillades and Grits!

I think Audubon Park is the most interesting golf experience in town.  Not much of the John Bartholomew bones remain, BUT they do celebrate him and his legacy.  The clubhouse is fantastic, set amid beautiful live oaks.  And if you're serious about the future of golf (and Adam, I know you are) then it's very interesting to see this 4200-yard, par 62 track.  It's in great condition, and you can get it around pretty quickly at Audubon, which leaves more time for NOLA.  I was there the day it reopened following Katrina (this would have been after Christmas, 2005).  Grown men were crying like babies.

Other than that, check out the Ron Garl re-design of Lakewood CC, on the West Bank.  Lakewood hosted the PGA Tour for 26 years.  The course is now owned by the New Orleans Fireman's Pension Fund.  Some people like English Turn.  I don't.

In terms of good NOLA culture, spend an afternoon walking up and Magazine Street.  More of a local spot than the Quarter or even St. Charles Ave.  Stop in at Octavia Books - one of my favorite bookstores in the world.  I think Guy's Po-Boys are the best in town (the beef w/ debris is out of hand good).  Lots of cool shops and stops as you work your way up Magazine from the Audubon Park side toward downtown.

Grab some crawfish at Frankie & Johnny's while you're in the area.

In terms of a premier dining experience, it's Galatoire's all the way.  By a mile.  Commander's is good but not great, IMO.  Court of Two Sisters is good but not great.  Muriel's is really good.  But Galatoire's is GREAT.  Lunch is also a good time to head in and get a good table for one of the best culinary experiences in America.  The Crab Yvonne is unbelievable, and so is the Redfish.  Modern restaurant:  Jacque-Imo's on Oak Street.

Oysters = Felix's or Acme Oyster House.  For good jambalaya, gumbo and other "down home" cookin', I like Mother's on Poydras.  My GF prefers Mandina's on Canal.  Both are killer, although you certainly pay a destination tax on either of them.

Music:  Tipatina's on Tchopitoulas, Maple Leaf, Rock and Bowl.  Insider's special - Le Bon Temps Roule (Magazine St).  Smoky, sweaty little room.  Incredible unannounced late-night appearances. 

Did I mention that I LOVE New Orleans?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »

You will thank me later, but if you happen to be spending a Tuesday night in NOLA, you absolutely must go see the Rebirth Brass Band (Grammy award winning) at the Maple Leaf bar. It is at their "home court" and beyond fantastic. 

This is an excellent suggestion, as is McBride's to see Kermit. On the high end besides Galatoire's I will add August, Cochon and Herbsaint. Besh and Link have got it going on big time right now.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »

You will thank me later, but if you happen to be spending a Tuesday night in NOLA, you absolutely must go see the Rebirth Brass Band (Grammy award winning) at the Maple Leaf bar. It is at their "home court" and beyond fantastic. 

This is an excellent suggestion, as is McBride's to see Kermit. On the high end besides Galatoire's I will add August, Cochon and Herbsaint. Besh and Link have got it going on big time right now.

When I was in New Orleans or the Golf Industry Show a few years ago, the one high-end meal I had was at Cochon. It was really, really good. Some of the charcuterie they served would have been impressive in France.

Having said that, my favourite experience of all was getting a muffuletta from the Central Grocery. I went and sat on the levee in the sunshine -- it was about 20C, at the end of January -- to eat it. Eating my sandwich, watching the ships heading up and down the river...special vibe.

The morning I checked out of my hotel to head home, at about 0630, I was standing in the parking lot waiting for a cab to the airport. Two young guys, late teens or early 20s, screeched into the lot in an SUV. They got out, clearly steaming drunk, and a young black woman, dressed in very little, and that made of leather, followed them. Two sides to every town...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
The muffaletta at Central is excellent, Adam. The standard. And sitting on the Moonwalk along the river can't be beat. But just between you and me: the muffaletta at Cochon Butcher, next door to Cochon? My God.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back