News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Examples of routing genius.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »
John:

This is a great question and I want to think about it for a while before I have a good answer.  I don't agree with a lot of the examples.

I think the front nine at Crystal Downs is some true routing genius, but it's often the case that what looks like genius from the outside is really just a matter of necessity.  Let's assume that the clubhouse location and the property boundaries were a given.  The only holes that are really conventionally obvious to route are #1 and #6 with their good, visible green sites.  But #2 and 3 follow on easily from #1, and then #4 green already existed, so MacKenzie used it even though the fairway sloped the "wrong" way for the dogleg.  The one really counter-intuitive hole is #5 ... but I suspect that routing it was just a matter of the necessity of getting from #4 to #6 within the available space.

I do think a lot of Donald Ross's routings are genius.  Seminole is a great example of using a couple of natural features as often as possible, and in as many different ways as possible.  But lots of Ross's routings are just cool to follow on paper, the variety of holes and playing directions that he achieved on often rectangular sites, just by introducing a diagonal into the routing somewhere along the way.  Most of us start from one property line or another and the tendency is to route parallel holes over from one edge.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
How about Donald Ross at French Lick?  The fact that a course is even laid over that terrain at all is pretty genius to me.  Ross's courses are consistently the most well routed I've played.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:44 AM »
One of the greatest routings I have ever seen is Mike Strantz' Caledonia Golf & Fish Club in Pawleys Island, SC. It flows seamlessly from hole to hole (with the exception of #9) on an extremely small site. The genius is the way the routing maintains a feeling of spaciousness when there really is none. The golfer never feels confined and the course always has a sense of peacefulness... which is hard to achieve on a small piece of property. There are no parallel fairways and every hole has a unique feature or appeal.

I can't think of another course that has consistently impressed me as much with its routing as Caledonia.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
Mike - interesting post re Caledonia, as when I first read John's question my first thought was: how are we measuring 'genius'? Is it by the number of great/very good holes the routing created/brough to light?  (And if so, do we mean great/very good holes in absolute or relative terms - i.e. are the best holes out there truly great, or are they great only in the context of an average site, and thus  examples of holes that are as good as they could be because of excellent routing?) Is it by the flow and walkability of the course,  even if a great hole has to be -- or seems to have been - sacrificed? Is it, as you suggest re Caledonia, a routing that gives us good golf holes and a good walk, while at the same time creating an overall feel and mood (in that case, spaciousness) despite all sorts of limitations (in that case, a small site)?  I think most architects would say: a genius routing produces the greatest number of great holes possible on a given site. I understand that - maybe even accept that.  But it can't be the only meaursing stick.

Peter   

Alex Miller

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
I think Riviera has tuly genius routing. The course weaves around itself and flows from canyon wall to barranca and back again. There is a great deal of change in direction and some great viewing spots and golf holes were created by having the clubhouse where it is.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »
I think Riviera has tuly genius routing. The course weaves around itself and flows from canyon wall to barranca and back again. There is a great deal of change in direction and some great viewing spots and golf holes were created by having the clubhouse where it is.

Where exactly is the genius in the routing at Riviera?  Start at the clubhouse and return both nines at the clubhouse, check.  Use the property borders as hazards, check.  Put green sites on the far end of the barranca, check.  Given the constraints of the property who would have done anything different?  How could they?

Now the course itself is perfect, the routing however, even a hack would have seen.

Alex Miller

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »

Where exactly is the genius in the routing at Riviera?  Start at the clubhouse and return both nines at the clubhouse, check.  Use the property borders as hazards, check.  Put green sites on the far end of the barranca, check.  Given the constraints of the property who would have done anything different?  How could they?

Now the course itself is perfect, the routing however, even a hack would have seen.

I think there is probably less to work off of in finding the routing there. How is it obvious? Because of that property Thomas could've done anything he wanted, but IMO he brought out the best of what he had through the routing. It may seem like the obvious choice now, but that may be a testement to how good the routing is. It's not like he had massive landforms to fit holes into; he had a canyon with clear borders, but in the middle of it he could've done anything.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
Alex,

I find it difficult to call it a genius routing when the first tee and 18th green were a given.  The use of the barranca is textbook.  The use of the property borders is pure Bendelow.  Where do you see genius?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
I think we need to reintroduce the armchair architect competition.

With a real site that someone could offer up.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
Thoughts on the following as "genius" routings...

Old MacDonald;

Shoreacres;

Rock Creek;

Seminole;

Tallgrass;

this one...http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46654.0.html
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Davis

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
Cypress 15 and 16 no, Pebble #8 doubt it, Augusta 11 - 15 just maybe, Sand Hills 7 and 8, nahhh....what is routing genius? 

This strikes me as interesting starting statement. Arguably some of the best holes in the world, although I don't know the Sand Hills holes. So why are they not routing genius and I'm surprised no-one commented on this to start with? If they are not then perhaps there is no such thing unless your claim is that any idiot would of found them and put holes there?

Could you please define the parameters involved with routing genius in this exercise?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »
John,

I couldn't agree more re: Riviera or to use another example, Plainfield.  Those routings had so many variables nailed down before the first stake was in the ground that I could see most architects routing in similar fashions.  

I think Oakmont has some real genius based on the use of high points.  Like the green at 3, fairway on 7, or green at 17 to use a few examples.  

Considering that not the clubhouse, infrastructure or property lines were laid out, it will be interesting to see how the new course at Dismal River is received from a routing perspective.  IIRC, Brad Klein had some very nice things to say.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:22:09 PM by Ben Sims »

Ben Sims

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Augusta 11 - 15 just maybe

John,

I realized how bold the 11-15 routing at AGNC is when I saw #13.  That is a crazy solution to the problem.  Easily the most obvious way to route that area would be to head straight back uphill near what is #13 tee towards #14 green.  Then the tremendous green site at #13 could be approached from the obvious angle.  But turning the hole as aggressively as they did, accepting the severe sideslope, and approaching that green site from a sideways angle is pure genius.  It made one the the best par 5's in golf.   

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:20 PM »
I would agree with Shoreacres.  The use of the ravines is simply brilliant.  
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
Cypress 15 and 16 no, Pebble #8 doubt it, Augusta 11 - 15 just maybe, Sand Hills 7 and 8, nahhh....what is routing genius? 

This strikes me as interesting starting statement. Arguably some of the best holes in the world, although I don't know the Sand Hills holes. So why are they not routing genius and I'm surprised no-one commented on this to start with? If they are not then perhaps there is no such thing unless your claim is that any idiot would of found them and put holes there?

Could you please define the parameters involved with routing genius in this exercise?

David,

Perhaps the best example of a lack of genius required for discovering a hole is the 16th at Cypress.  The 8th at Pebble seems the same.  I would love to hear an example of routing utilizing an ocean that couldn't have been discovered by any small town garden club beautification committee.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

I have never played Shoreacres but have been on property.  Please give me an example where the use of a ravine is not textbook.  Did Raynor locate the clubhouse because he felt the ravines made for better golf than the lake.  Now that would be genius.

Alex Miller

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

David,

Perhaps the best example of a lack of genius required for discovering a hole is the 16th at Cypress.  The 8th at Pebble seems the same.  I would love to hear an example of routing utilizing an ocean that couldn't have been discovered by any small town garden club beautification committee.

Not to take anything away fom those two holes, but I agree with you here, John. It was with this same thought process that I figured Riviera was a great routing. Am I missing something?

I think holes 2-13, the part that may require greater skill in discerning what holes go where and what should be featured is the best part of CPC's routing. It's been discussed many times, but it's pretty surprising just how much you climb from 2's tee to 5 and 8's green.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:53:46 PM by Alex Miller »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
The genius of the 8th at Pebble was finding the 7th, which created the awkward and mysterious drive and then walk up the hill to reveal the jaw-dropping edge of the cliff 2nd shot.  An averagely good archie would have built a tee behind the 6th green to play along the top of the cliff and left what is now the 7th green as a tanning salon for the seals.  Finding another 150 yards for a hole on the property (to replace the 7th) would have been child's play.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:01:46 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
John, are you saying that if the property is a simple one, if an architect routes the best possible golf course on it, it still isn't a great routing because it was easy? Or are you just saying a routing has to be out of the box to be great?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
I have long thought that if there is one major shortcoming of GCA's discussion group it is discussion -or lack thereof - of routing.

My belief is that it is possibly the hardest important golf architecture subject to discuss and some of the responses here illustrate this point. For example, John K asks what is so great about Riviera's routing and, at least thus far, nobody can answer. I am with John. Riviera is a fine golf course with some great holes, but I fail to see the "genius" in the routing. Was the famous 10th a routing accomplishment or really simply excellent design of an individual hole?

It is striking that of all people Tom Doak would hesitate to give examples of "routing genius". Here is a person who has studied the great examples of our favorite art form as much as anyone on the planet - perhaps as much as anyone in history - and even Tom can't (or wouldn't) quickly provide a list of candidates. That tells me something.

So why is it we can discuss bunkers or green or the merits of individual holes but we have such trouble with routing?

My best insight into this problem came in Cleveland during the construction of Sand Ridge Golf Club. Unfortunately, I didn't become involved until the routing plan had been finalized and construction had begun. But, I spent a lot of time on site and got exposed to the many routing plans that didn't make the final cut.

In truth, I do not believe the final selection was anything near the best or most interesting. Not even close. There were several that we're much better but were victims of environmental influence or restrictions.

That experience leads me to believe it is hard to declare a golf course "routing genius" unless, at a minimum, we understand:

1) what the property looked like before anything was done?
2) what restrictions were put on the architect?
3) what were the leading alternative routing plans considered?
4) restrictions aside, why did the architect select the final routing plan and reject the others?
5) what was "left on the table" - what holes were lost - due to the final routing selection?

I am sure many here could add to this list and our architect friends could point out how I have barely scratched the surface.

There is one other problem. Though I wouldn't call it world class, over the years I have accumulated a pretty nice golf architecture library. But, it is striking how little there really is written about routing. From the very beginning - purchasing Sports Illustrated's Best 18 Holes In America in 1966 - books tend to cover all sorts of things about golf architecture, but are silent on the routing subject for the most part.

Perhaps part of the problem is lack of documentation or belief on the part of golf architects that anyone would really be interested in the decision making process involved with routing. It is quite easy to believe that all anybody would care about is the final product. Geoff Shackelford's wonderful Cyress Point book illustrates this point. The documentation of the course on opening day is fabulous and Geoff's writing compliments it very well even with some mention of the trade offs Mackenzie faced (e.g., location for the 14th tee). But, still if you really want to know what Mackenzie was thinking when he laid out the routing, we don't have much, unfortunately.

Years ago I spent a day with Tom Doak at Stonewall before construction began on the second course. Tom showed where he intended to build a hole inspired by a hole at Royal Melbourne. Pretty cool, especially when I finally made it Down Under to see the inspiration.

But, there again, that is about an individual hole, not a complete routing.

So, good luck discussing "grnius routing". I doubt it will ever be an easy thing to do.
Tim Weiman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
The genius of the 8th at Pebble was finding the 7th, which created the awkward and mysterious drive and then walk up the hill to reveal the jaw-dropping edge of the cliff 2nd shot.  An averagely good archie would have built a tee behind the 6th green to play along the top of the cliff and left what is now the 7th green as a tanning salon for the seals.  Finding another 150 yards for a hole on the property (to replace the 7th) would have been child's play.

Thank you Rich.  That is interesting and given the caveat that I have never played Pebble it looks to me that the 7th green site would be a no brainer.  I do like how the hole is unnaturally short.

Here is a fun thread of Pebble's routing.  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,15424.0.html

Mark McKeever

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Not to poke the hornets nest, but Merion East is a great routing.  (current and past)

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
It seems like a lot of people are conflating their favorite courses and holes with "routing genius."  Presumably, the question is more about situations where a great hole or course was created out of a situation that most or any other architects couldn't have done much with.  Great courses don't necessarily have "routing genius."  Whistling Straits and all those early Scottish courses for example are as straightforward as it gets (at least at first glance) and their routings are somewhat boring, but that doesn't mean they're not great courses. 

To that end, Merion East and Wannamoisett are great examples.  Both courses are on tiny pieces of property (with Merion's being slightly disjointed), but the golfer never feels cramped or claustrophobic (with maybe a few exceptions like #7 at Merion where a slice could end up in someone's backyard or #2 at Wannamoisett where a hook could break a windshield).  Amazingly, both courses feel big and open and you barely notice the fact that you're on a limited site where most architects couldn't have created a great course.  Also amazingly, you never get bored on these courses or feel like you're just playing back and forth across the same small piece of land. 

One routing (that I have not seen in person) that looks like genius to me is Maidstone.  The property is small and very disjointed.  The pond is too big to hit a shot over.   I would guess that a lot of architects at that time would have given up or just had the golfer take a boring, long walk over the pond.  However, a single island tee converted what may have been a severe limitation into 2 of the most exciting holes on the course.  On top of that, the western subsection of the course appears to make great use of the natural features (the sand dunes, the beach views, the pond, etc.) without being repetitive.  I'd love to hear thoughts on this from people who know the course well. 

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
Anthony,

Of course, nobody would suggest Whistling Straits is "genius routing", but it does beg the question: how important is "genius routing" to building a great golf course?

Honestly, maybe somebody has, but I don't recall too many comments about the routing for even a course like Pine Valley (though one does hear the suggestion identifying and building the 5th hole made a great contribution). Instead, commentary seems to always focus on individuals holes and attribute little to the routing plan for having found these holes.

I am inclined to think "genius routing", whatever it might actually be, is more likely to be associated with small tight properties or properties with lots of undulations and existing naturals features.

But, I am not sure.
Tim Weiman

Mac Plumart

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

I have never played Shoreacres but have been on property.  Please give me an example where the use of a ravine is not textbook.  Did Raynor locate the clubhouse because he felt the ravines made for better golf than the lake.  Now that would be genius.

I'd argue it is far from "textbook" and you should play it...don't you live close? 

Perhaps you should define "genius" and "textbook". 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back