News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

Chicago Golf Club of Valparaiso Photo Tour - Eglin AFB Eagle
« on: December 19, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
I played my future home course for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed myself.  The course has been mentioned as worth a look once or twice on this site but doesn't seem like many have actually seen it.  I should start by saying it's a military course so the conditioning is very likely a put off for many.  The course was overseeded and often times the transition from rough to fairway occurred with longer grass in the fairways (but hey the fairways were green  ::) ).  I've also played courses where the fairways looked like the greens on this course.  All that being said I think the course is still worth discussion and I'm excited to have it, and a companion course, for my home course in 6 months.

The course has a bit of history.  I'm not much of a researcher but what I've found on the internet indicates a Chicago businessman, James Plew, purchased the land the golf course is on (as well as an additional few thousand acres) and commissioned Langford and Moreau to create an 18 hole golf course that opened in 1925.  It's also rumored that Al Capone was a primary financial backer in the creation of the course and some of the more senior locals have stories about caddying for Capone and his "friends."

After Plew died the course apparently went through some hard times and 9 holes were let go, for about 10 years, this also coincided with WWII.  Interestingly enough Plew can also be attributed with the creation of Eglin AFB.  In addition to his golf hobby he was an aviation enthusiast and he donated a large portion of his land to the government for the creation of an Air Field.  Eglin was the largest military reservation during WWII and is still one of the largest in the DoD.

The establishment of the military base probably saved the failing golf course as Congress purchased the land and the course in 1946 and re-established 18 holes.  There is certainly much more to the history but that's about as much as I know at this point.  I know the current routing isn't entirely original but not sure which parts of the course were changed.  The earliest aerial I've found is from the 1950's but hope to piece a little more together once I move out here.

Here is a historical photo from the courses facebook site:

The facebook page says this is the current first green but I really can't see how that can be the case.

All of the following photo's were taken with my smart phone and the sun was less than ideal so sorry about the poor quality and remember the photos take flatten the terrain.  I was amazed at the changes in elevation.  I won't provide a lot of commentary because I figure what I'll add probably isn't much benefit if you have the pictures.

The first hole is a dogleg right par 4 at 407 yards.

1st tee

1st from 150 out

The second is a 158 yard par 3 over the marsh.

I know the greens aren't original and I've read comments online from people who were upset about relatively recent alterations (since I've been alive) that flattened the greens but I thought this had some fun movement.

The 9th is a par 5 that goes up an over the hill.  It looks like originally the green had a horseshoe shaped bunker around it. Lots of sand originally that has been lost with time.

Over the crest of the hill on 9.

Edited to remove a bunch of the photos.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:14:31 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Tom_Doak

Re: Chicago Golf Club of Valparaiso Photo Tour - Eglin AFB Eagle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:47:15 PM »
Joe:

Thanks for posting these.

I can't even reconstruct where, 30+ years ago, I read of high praise for the Eglin AFB course, but I have always wondered about it.  I visualized a course out at the edge of the sea, which it is clearly not; but your pictures seem to indicate that it's a nice rolling piece of ground [especially for Florida!], and if Langford was indeed the designer then I have an idea of what the greens and bunkers would have been like.  Sorry to hear they've been messed with, but I'm sure Niall Carlton will have a good reason for it.  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
Joe:

Thanks for posting these.

I can't even reconstruct where, 30+ years ago, I read of high praise for the Eglin AFB course, but I have always wondered about it.  I visualized a course out at the edge of the sea, which it is clearly not; but your pictures seem to indicate that it's a nice rolling piece of ground [especially for Florida!], and if Langford was indeed the designer then I have an idea of what the greens and bunkers would have been like.  Sorry to hear they've been messed with, but I'm sure Niall Carlton will have a good reason for it.  ;)

One of my old fraternity brothers retired in nearby Shalimar as an Air Force colonel.  I have played several rounds there over the years.  In those days I had not played any MacDonald/Raynor, and still haven't played any Langford Moreau, so I didn't really understand the sharp edges and angles that grab you by the throat and demand tee shots to specific places in the fairway.   There is a bunch of that on the Eagle.  I will have to get over there and play if it's been reworked.  The bunkers were mostly shallow saucers so it would be good to see a renovation.

Joe, I think that tee shot across the lake is 17.

By the way, Joe, if you're ever paired with a retired Air Force colonel named Jack, watch yourself.  He is a coin-jingling fellow who stands too close when you are putting and will usually step in your line.

Tom, the terrain in NW Florida is very interesting and the Eglin courses are on some of the best.  The sister courses, the Falcon (originally by the Palmer group), has a whole series of ravines and step hills, and a par 5 early in the round with two forced carries.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
Joe, my family and I get down to Destin quite often, and I have had Eglin Eagle as the next course I am going to play when I get back down there. We drive by it all the time, but Ive never been blessed with the right time to go play it.

Bill, have you ever played the Lakewood, Azalea course in Point Clear, Alabama?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
Joe, my family and I get down to Destin quite often, and I have had Eglin Eagle as the next course I am going to play when I get back down there. We drive by it all the time, but Ive never been blessed with the right time to go play it.

No, but it's on my radar.  Let me know when you're down this way. 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »
I was on golf probation when we were down there in June. LOL. We might be down for spring break, but not sure if I'll get a hall pass. The whole only having one car thing hamstings me a little for going to Pensacola. Have you played A.C. Read Bill? It always looks interesting from a raw perspective when we go to the NAS museum.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
I was on golf probation when we were down there in June. LOL. We might be down for spring break, but not sure if I'll get a hall pass. The whole only having one car thing hamstings me a little for going to Pensacola. Have you played A.C. Read Bill? It always looks interesting from a raw perspective when we go to the NAS museum.

Nigel, I've played there quite a bit and like it.  Some nice elevation changes.   We played there after Hurricane Ivan while our new course at Pensacola Country Club was being built.  There are three nines.  The Bayou and Lakeview make up the usual 18, the Bayview is shorter and quirkier.  It's a great bargain at $25.  Jerry Pate did a renovation a few years ago, really more of a clean up.  Let me know if you're headed this way.  

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:57:14 PM »
Joe,

I pity the man who has been having trouble slicing tee shots. #1 tee looks like it could be pretty intimidating.

Nice photo tour. Seems like working the ball would be important to playing the course well. I enjoy seeing that.
Tim Weiman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

Nigel, I just had a note from a former member of this board that you should do everything in your power to avoid playing the Lakewood course.  Overrated and way overpriced.

Come play PCC instead.  You too Joe T. 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
Tom that is a big if regarding Langfords involvement.  Most sources on the internet show unknown or public works.  The date I provided for opening as 18 holes doesn't mesh with the annual golf guides but their information isn't consistent year to year either.

Nigel, I probably won't be back to Florida until June but if you play the cotourses over spring break or want to play them again let me know as I'm always interested in a round, work permitting.

Bill I'll be on the lookout but the description fits many older colonels I've played with, gamers and competitive.  You mentioned the falcon and it appeared to be the more popular course.  I practiced for about 40 min and saw 4 groups go off on falcon and only a single went out on the eagle course.  When comparing first holes I couldn't understand why everyone was playing the falcon course,  the eagle wins hands down.  Good to hear there is some interesting features out there as well.

Tim I agree with your assessment.  Very few straight away holes.  I feel if a player could carry the ball 260-270 and work the ball the course would be play very different than my experience, because they wouldn't have as many blind approaches.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
Thanks Bill and Joe. My family left for Florida last night, and I am at work looking at 4+ inches of snow and daydreaming about being somewhere else. LOL

Dan Moore

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
I am pretty sure I have a copy of a Langford Moreau ad from the 1920's that refrences their work on the Chicago Golf Club of Valpo. I'll need to dig it to be sure.   I see some features that look like L/M but frankly not as much as I would expect.  Fairway bunker on 8 and green on 12 look very L/Mish. 

Joe, what is the open date that you have?  Are there land forms off  the fairways that could have been bunkers once upon a time.  Course definitely looks more narrow than it would have been in the 20’s. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
Dan my laptop crashed but from memory 1922 is when the annual golf guide mentions the creation of a 9 hole course called valparaiso cc.  A number of internet sources list 1925.  The first mention in the annual golf guide of a 6000+ yard course was when the name changed to Chicago golf club of valparaiso (but it still listed a 9 hole course).  I can't recall if that was the 1927 or 1931.  I haven't contacted the base historian and probably won't until June but am hopeful he'll have good info.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
     I finally had a chance to play this course two weeks ago. It was a chilly December morning, but I was able to get around in 3 hours. I really enjoyed the course. I now understand the funny look I got when I said I wanted to walk as it is quite hilly especially 7 and 17. The front nine was excellent. I was particularly fond of the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 16th. I think that gully on 8 used to be a bunker, but I can't figure out whether it was closer to the green or a large cross bunker 40 yards short of the green. I think this is the best course in the Destin area by far. I was just disappointed that I could not make it work out so I could play with Joe :(

Paul Jones

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
Great Photo Tour.  I would have never guessed Florida.  I am intrigued and anxious to play the course.  Maybe I can stop on my way and pick up McBride.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
You're on.  I'll have COL Houlgate host us. 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
Paul,
    The site does not look like Florida at all. Joe wasn't kidding about needing a tow rope up the 7th hole. I walk all the time, and it took me a second to catch my breath.

Bill,
     I did not run into any sandbagging colonels. I really need to figure out a way to make the trek down to Pensacola the next time I am in Destin.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
Just let me know!

John Avram

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
    I finally had a chance to play this course two weeks ago. It was a chilly December morning, but I was able to get around in 3 hours. I really enjoyed the course. I now understand the funny look I got when I said I wanted to walk as it is quite hilly especially 7 and 17. The front nine was excellent. I was particularly fond of the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 16th. I think that gully on 8 used to be a bunker, but I can't figure out whether it was closer to the green or a large cross bunker 40 yards short of the green. I think this is the best course in the Destin area by far. I was just disappointed that I could not make it work out so I could play with Joe :(

This course looks pretty sweet.  Lots of elevation changes for a Florida course, which is cool.  The course tour does a good job of capturing the hilly terrain.

http://www.golffrontier.com/Courses/UnitedStates/Florida/Niceville/EglinGolfCourseEagle.aspx?ShowTour=true

Daniel Jones

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed this course over the weekend. The elevation changes are great, as was the roller coaster ride of some of the blind tee shots. A bunch of holes that would never be built today, and overall just a really fun course. I was the only guy walking (at least that I saw) and though there's some pretty good uphill hikes, it wasn't too much to handle. Good pace of play on a busy Saturday afternoon as well.

In contrast, I played the Raven at Sandestin and enjoyed a nice 5 hour loop on a course that was a total letdown by comparison. If you're in the area, the trek to Eglin is well worth it.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 05:18:42 AM »
A recent post had me run a quick search on the course, as it's been a couple years since it's been my home club.  It looks like the Florida Historic Golf Trail site has some historical photos of the course.  I particularly appreciated the below aerial provided by a Jay Revell.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:20:54 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 06:48:40 AM »

Nigel, I've played there quite a bit and like it.  Some nice elevation changes.   We played there after Hurricane Ivan while our new course at Pensacola Country Club was being built.  There are three nines.  The Bayou and Lakeview make up the usual 18, the Bayview is shorter and quirkier.  It's a great bargain at $25.  Jerry Pate did a renovation a few years ago, really more of a clean up.  Let me know if you're headed this way. 

Joe,

Thanks for pulling this up as we hope to be in Pensacola for New Years. Sad to see our old Navy buddy Bill McBride here on this thread. Bill and I talked a few times about the potential for us playing Pensacola, Elgin and AC Read if my son got stationed in Pensacola, and now my son is there in Pensacola.

Here is the aerial for AC Read from the Florida Historic site:

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
So this review by Jay Revell gave me the final motivation to finally visit Eglin GC - Eagle on my final for now visit to Pensacola:

https://medium.com/@JayRevell/the-vale-of-paradise-4e6ca406d14d

Based on this picture on the wall of the clubhouse, it does appear to have Langford and Moreau legacy:

It is a little rough in conditioning, especially having played Kiva Dunes the day before which was in excellent condition. Eglin GC - Eagle had great terrain in comparison to anything in Florida, and especially along the Gulf:

The terrain around the lakes is mostly clogged with vegetation now, but you do get some nice vistas. Unfortunately, the greens are pretty bumpy:

The course is located "off-base", but they seem to be pretty strict about having a Military affiliation to play the course. I don't know how it can ever get upgraded without outside revenue. However, it has to be a candidate for "Most Worthy Renovation" in Florida.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »
Ouch.  Looks like a bit of a rough winter for the turf (or a couple of rough years with limited finances).

I was last there in 2014 and the courses were open to the public and in better shape (still not great but complete turf coverage).
A comparison photo from 2014 of Mike's first photo.
Approach on 7:

Something that I like to point out about military golf courses is U.S.C title 10 section 2491a indicates appropriated funds (funded by congress) cannot be used to equip, operate or maintain military golf courses within the US.  That means the golf courses operate primarily on revenue they generate (also potentially support other morale, welfare and recreation programs on the installation).

With the pandemic over the last year, there may have been a golf boom across the country but military recreation programs were shuttered on most installations.  My current course only shut down for 2-3 months, but the other revenue generating programs (bowling alleys, movie theatres, boating centers...) took a big financial hit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:24:14 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 12:30:38 PM »
As an Army brat I grew up on military courses. When the commanding general played golf the courses were in decent shape. Some were well maintained and some not so much.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back