News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Re: Parks Canada Looking For Private Operator to Take Over Highland Links
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »
Here is the story in today's Halifax newspaper echoing what Ian has said.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/283586-no-buyers-found-for-ns-signature-resorts
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »
So were in limbo ... great .... why not do something proactive for a change.

Give the whole operation to Graham Hudson. He has the track record from before and is the reason we’ve seen improvements of recent. Give Graham the course, the clubhouse, F&B upstairs and the retail sales in the shop (like a normal operation). Let him set rates for everything. Let him advertise where and when he wants to within that budget (like a normal operation). Let him allocate his staff as he sees fit.
Simply give him an annual operating budget and three years to turn a profit.

The task is simple. He and the staff have to make a profit to stay. They will have to work together to make this work including some concessions on schedule and staffing. Allow them to invest profits back in the course as they see fit. This is still the one scenario that is most likely to work.

It's better than where we sit now.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
Will,

My "aging pig" reference was to the hotel's overall condition. I've followed this twisted saga for quite a while and have viewed numerous pictures and spoken with those who have first hand experience at the resort. The bones of Keltic are wonderful, and I'm a guy who has no issues with a shabby chic presentation. The problem is that the more well-heeled folks the operator MUST attract to remain busy and profitable WON'T accept that approach for the rates being charged.

I'm glad you had a memorable experience. I look forward to having a great time up that way when I visit...which should be sooner than later.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back