News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Re: clickable pictures: a feature the web site does have!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
(ReDeEmEd)Me(/rEdEeMeD)!!!
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 09:05:13 PM »

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
David

Thanks.  I still I am not getting it.  But I don't think it makes much difference as it looks like a serious hassle to go back and change photo threads with the clickable format - something I am not willing to do.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David Harshbarger

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 10:10:29 PM »
Sean, don't go back and change those threads but going forward, when you create new photo tours, just do the following:

Make a URL tag
Make an IMG tag

You should have this

(url)(img)(/img)(/url)

Copy the link to your image, then

Click into the (url) tag and add = and paste your link. (url=your link)
Click into the (img) tag and width=800. (img width=800)
Click between (img) and (/img) and paste your link (img)your link(/img)

Final result (url=your link)(img width=800)your link(/img)(/url)

Done
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
Sean,

As David said, use it going forward.  If you cant get it to work as David got it to work for your picture, then start a post by using a "Quote" of David's post of your picture.  You'll see the codes in the quoted part and you can use that format.

If your issue is that your picture isn't as large as you want it when you do click through, it's because when you upload your images to Photobucket it automatically compresses them to 1024x768 pixels.  You can change your upload options to save a larger picture, say 1600x1200.  You can click on the options on the right side of the screen on the first bar:

Upload to Photobucket                                                                                                           Customize your upload options

Whatever size picture you uploaded will be displayed on the click through.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29:29 AM »
My chance at redemption?

Sean, think of it like this:

1: you want the picture to show up in the thread, but without the horizontal scroll bar, so you create an image tag with the width set to 800 pixels.

(img width=800)http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/seanrobertarble/Hunstanton%20GC/001.jpg?t=1316381088(/img)

2: you want the image to be a link, in other words to be clickable, so you "wrap" it with a URL tag, where the URL target points to the same image.  For this you use a slightly different construction.  Instead of the normal use of the URL tag to bracket the target, you can put the link in the opening tag as in:

(URL=http.....)

When you do this, everything between the opening tag and the closing (/URL) tag will be clickable, and the click will go to link in the opening tag.

If what you put between the links is text, as in:

(URL=http....)A cool Site(/URL)

you'll get your basic web link.  If what you put between the URL tags is an img tag, what you get is a clickable image.

So, for clickable images on this site, use:

(URL=LinkToImage)(img width=800)LinkToImage(/img)(/URL)

Cut and paste your link for LinkToImage to get:

Okay, I finally got it.  I was hoping the 800 bit wasn't necessary.  Jeepers, this does take a bit of time.  Is there something Ran could set up with the site to make this process more user friendly?  We should have much larger pix especially as most point and shooters can't capture width very well anyway.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:37:28 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Lukas Michel

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 06:16:04 AM »
Your welcome Joe, although in all honesty I picked it up from Lukas Michel whose very first post on gca.com was on the photo thread of the year.  He was more bold than you guys so far.  He uploaded a much bigger picture - a slower process, but quite dramatic results.  Here's his picture again.

Good to hear I may have started off a somewhat positive trend with my very first post!

Although the img width=800 trick is a good way to resize the big pictures down for easier viewing, your browser will still download the big size but only display the 800 pixel width version. This could still mean problems for those with slow internet speeds and small data limits, as you are still actually downloading (and paying for) the big picture (although this is less of an issue these days with our fast internet speeds and large quotas).

I like to upload two images when I post clickable images on the net. One is the 800px wide preview that everyone downloads when they open the thread (wrapped in the [*img][*/img] tags) and the other is the large resolution pic that is only accessible by clicking the picture if they wish to see it in more detail (the url posted within the [*url=here][*/url] tags - remove the asterisks in the tags of course).

It's just a bit of internet image posting etiquette that I've picked up from other forums, which can help save data usage for others :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back