News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

A Foggy Morning at Portsalon
« on: December 23, 2012, 03:57:45 AM »
It's praises are sung by quite a few here and with good reason.  So on a crisp Sunday morning I wasn't going to let a little fog deter me...

1st Hole - 355 Metres
A left to right dogleg with a rumpling sloping fairway and a green tucked into a bowl behind some ridges.  They were extending the tee by about 20-30 metres when I was there, which seems a little odd.  The approach is tricky no matter what length it is played from...

2nd Hole - 457 Metres
Justifiably the best known hole on the course. Features a large, sort of hourglass shaped green with a subtle left to right slope throughout, and a slightly sunken level area middle right. Not to mention a rather neat drive.

3rd Hole - 337 Metres
A short par four with a double green that features a lot of subtle ripples leading into it. Classic drive into rumpled linksland.

4th Hole - 507 Metres
Terrific tee shot and long second through a great rumpled valley to a sort of half sideways Biarritz type green - the right section sits lower than the rear. 

5th Hole - 185 Metres.  A tough par three to a plateau green in the opposite direction of the previous hole. There's a shallow rear tier, and a steep fallaway on the right, not to mention the big mound front right too.

6th Hole - 435 Metres
A tough par four heading in the same direction as the long fourth.  It's a drive into a suspiciously flat valley that gives way some 80 metres from the green into classically rumpled linksland.  The approach is slightly uphill to a plateau green with a steep falloff to the right and in front.

11th Hole - 499 Metres
A fairly straightforward but interesting par five along flattish ground.  The approach is easier from the right, but the hummocks make that line a tighter choice from the tee. 

The green resembles something you might see at Dornoch.  It's well protected with a pot bunker left, and some sloping ground that can either steer a downwind approach up onto the green, or into more trouble. 

13th Hole - 328 Metres.
A slightly odd feeling hole.  You drive blind over a sloping ridge, the left hand side of the fairway protected by trees, then fire a second over a rumpled basin to a right to left sloping green with some subtle ripples.  It's a nice hole, but that green location beside a 25 foot high rock wall doesn't provide many favours in colder weather...

14th Hole - 395 Metres.  A classic links hole named "Matterhorn".  A blind drive leads to a fairway that plunges down from the high ridge onto a rumpled fairway. The green is brilliant, a bunkerless number set beyond a shallow ridge. Amongst other things, there's a right hand side spine, a front left bowl, a stack of ripples and spines feeding into the surface.  You can have great fun here just putting around for half an hour...

15th Hole - 140 Metres.
Slightly uphill, it looks somewhat innocuous from the tee, but if The Old Course had a par three this good, it might be worth getting upset about the changes. This is from 25 metres in front of the tee.

The most heavily undulating green on the course, with an absolutely evil back left pin in a bowl behind the bunker that feeds off down the hill.
You might be able to get some idea of it from this.

16th Hole - 376 Metres
On a ledge high above the course, this is an up and over job with a great second shot from a rippling fairway over a stream to a subtly rippling green with a back right ledge.  It would be even better if the club removed those stupid trees from near the bridge.

The only negative thing one could really mention are the three different bunker styles on the course, which is presumably why Paul McGinley is involved.  No matter, this is a course easily worth the trip.  For €50 odd euro, it's hard to think of better value.

jeffwarne

Re: A Foggy Morning at Portsalon
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »
Made my day. ;D ;D
Shame about the fog for the photos, but you did capture a few great images.
The one of the fourth is my new screensaver.

I presumed fog intervened on holes 7-10 as that's a nice stretch.

I do have a certain fondness for the 13th, trees and all.
Just a special place..

I do worry about the involvement of a Tour player involved in such an enchanting place, and like you, wonder why #1 would need a another tee.
hate to see the place end up like Rosapenna, which was once enchanting as well........
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
Mark I'm delighted you liked Portsalon.  I think I’ve played all Ruddy’s links courses and I find it the most satisfactory by a long way.   We were royally greeted at the clubhouse and offered a discount in April because “they grass hasn’t grown yet this year and so we’ll charge you the winter rate.”  I look forward to getting back to the best course I yet played in Donegal, certainly n my top 10 for all of Ireland.

I will watch your opinions closer as a result of what I've read on these last few threads.  You certainly have an enviable eye for detail plus an incredible recall having seen so many (all new?)  courses on your trip.

I would add that I enjoy seeing you  express strong opinions but if you are going to diss a hole like TOC 11th you need to justify your argument a little. If you were trying for humour then it missed me.

All in all thanks for the posts and some of the best detailed constructive criticism I've read in course tours on here.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »
I agree about Portsalon which is a favourite of mine... Tony - I also agree that Mark seems to have a great eye for detail.... I enjoyed playing with him and Jack Marr at Portmarnock.... He noted the 4th green immediately. It is possibly my favourite on the course but it always passes people by on first visit... there are a number of subtle bowls and elevation changes that are not easy to spot... Mark did so immediately...

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
I presumed fog intervened on holes 7-10 as that's a nice stretch.
I do have a certain fondness for the 13th, trees and all.
Just a special place..
Jeff,

The fog certainly did intervene on 7-10 - I got lost! I somehow ended up playing 11 and 12 after 7 before realising I missed a few holes somewhere...  I quite like 13 - it's a nice change of pace hole that takes you up to the higher ground for a few holes.  The only problem is during the colder months when the green scarcely sees daylight.  The image I took was at about 1.30pm.

Mark I'm delighted you liked Portsalon.  I think I’ve played all Ruddy’s links courses and I find it the most satisfactory by a long way. 
Thanks Tony.  Despite a number of disparate elements, Portsalon gels quite nicely together. The first six holes in particular are just so good. As Jeff said, it's just an enchanting place. Well worth spending a few days.  I certainly hope to get back there in the not to distant future.

I would add that I enjoy seeing you  express strong opinions but if you are going to diss a hole like TOC 11th you need to justify your argument a little. If you were trying for humour then it missed me.
It was a bit of both.  TOC 11 is a simplistic concept type hole.  Nothing wrong with that, but if the same hole was anywhere else it wouldn't be famous - kind of like the Redan at North Berwick, where no one outside of East Lothian would have heard of the course if it wasn't for that one hole.

Portsalon's 15th obviously isn't as simplistic a hole as 11 TOC, but it's much more admirable.  The view from the tee hides some of the hole's defences, and the green's contours are brilliant.  Each pin position is going to call for a different shot that has to factor in numerous variables - wind, height differential from tee to green, shot shape, the effect of the putting surface's contours on the roll of the ball.  The back left pin behind the bunker is simply brilliant - the accomplished player has one hell of a task to make a 2 or 3, the lesser player shouldn't make more than 3 if they don't try to get too heroic, yet the better player is looking at a 4 or worse if they miss. 

If the pin is at the front of the green, the contours and angle of the dip in front mean the area you have to hit into shrinks tellingly, yet doesn't appear to.  Coming up short is going to leave an awfully fiddly yet hardly difficult recovery for anyone.  All of this on a hole only 140 metres. Just a very satisfactory par three.

I agree about Portsalon which is a favourite of mine... Tony - I also agree that Mark seems to have a great eye for detail.... I enjoyed playing with him and Jack Marr at Portmarnock.... He noted the 4th green immediately. It is possibly my favourite on the course but it always passes people by on first visit... there are a number of subtle bowls and elevation changes that are not easy to spot... Mark did so immediately...

Thanks Ally.  It was a pleasure to have a hit with you and that young bloke Jack.  :) 

Do you know what the plans are at Portsalon?  I noted three different bunker styles on the course.  I assume McGinley is trying to standardise them? 

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
Mark,
Can we avoid using the word "standarize" and Portsalon in the same sentence? ;) ;) ;D

Did you ever get to holes 7-10?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:24:58 AM »

Do you know what the plans are at Portsalon?  I noted three different bunker styles on the course.  I assume McGinley is trying to standardise them?  

Some discussion of the intent re bunkering here.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52849.0.html

I would add that I enjoy seeing you  express strong opinions but if you are going to diss a hole like TOC 11th you need to justify your argument a little.

It was a bit of both.  TOC 11 is a simplistic concept type hole.  Nothing wrong with that, but if the same hole was anywhere else it wouldn't be famous - kind of like the Redan at North Berwick, where no one outside of East Lothian would have heard of the course if it wasn't for that one hole.

“There you go again.”  
 ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back