News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel Zuckerman

Re: Highlight of 2012
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »

Where to begin?  In mid-April I spent three glorious days at ANGC, the guest of my old summer camp junior counselor Bill Gates, and his good pal, the Oracle of Omaha.  (We call him “Otto’ for fun.)  The highlight was a game of “nines” on the getaway day, $500 a point.  (Too rich for my blood, but I figured I could hold my own score-wise.)  When Braniac Bill got caught in the front left bunker on 18 (the same bunker that stymied Arnold Palmer in 1961) I had enough of a bankroll to purchase a Patek Phillipe with a platinum face.
   I also shared a sliver of my windfall with GCA’er Mark Pritchett by buying him a few PBR’s at a nearby sports bar.  Only in downtrodden Augusta do the so-called sports bars have 12” and 15” televisions, as opposed to plasmas or flat-screens, but I digress.
   Fourth of July weekend was a blast---Condi Rice (actually ‘Connie” to her BFF’s) had me to CPC for a two-day Member-Guest.  (My ex-wife and Connie were best friends and sorority sisters at University of Denver, and we stayed friendly despite our less-than-amicable breakup in 2003.) 
   I birdied both 15 and 16 on Day One (9-iron and feathered 5-wood, respectively) and then almost repeated the feat on Day Two.  (Stiffed a wedge on 15, then missed a 12-footer by a whisker after a hard-drawing 1-iron into a quartering breeze on 16.)  We took low net---good for a case of Moet and a tin of Beluga caviar the size of a Nerf football!
   Lastly, on a helicopter tour of the Scottish Highlands in mid-September, I was joined on the first tee at Dornoch by none other than Sean Connery!  He was great company, and we shared a wee dram around the links…we drained the bottle in celebration when we both birdied Foxy!  His ancestral home is outside of Aberdeen, and he asked me to join him at Cruden Bay a few days later, but I was scheduled for a 36-hole day at Muirfield, so I regretfully declined.
   Here’s to 2013!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »

Where to begin?  In mid-April I spent three glorious days at ANGC, the guest of my old summer camp junior counselor Bill Gates, and his good pal, the Oracle of Omaha.  (We call him “Otto’ for fun.)  The highlight was a game of “nines” on the getaway day, $500 a point.  (Too rich for my blood, but I figured I could hold my own score-wise.)  When Braniac Bill got caught in the front left bunker on 18 (the same bunker that stymied Arnold Palmer in 1961) I had enough of a bankroll to purchase a Patek Phillipe with a platinum face.
   I also shared a sliver of my windfall with GCA’er Mark Pritchett by buying him a few PBR’s at a nearby sports bar.  Only in downtrodden Augusta do the so-called sports bars have 12” and 15” televisions, as opposed to plasmas or flat-screens, but I digress.
   Fourth of July weekend was a blast---Condi Rice (actually ‘Connie” to her BFF’s) had me to CPC for a two-day Member-Guest.  (My ex-wife and Connie were best friends and sorority sisters at University of Denver, and we stayed friendly despite our less-than-amicable breakup in 2003.) 
   I birdied both 15 and 16 on Day One (9-iron and feathered 5-wood, respectively) and then almost repeated the feat on Day Two.  (Stiffed a wedge on 15, then missed a 12-footer by a whisker after a hard-drawing 1-iron into a quartering breeze on 16.)  We took low net---good for a case of Moet and a tin of Beluga caviar the size of a Nerf football!
   Lastly, on a helicopter tour of the Scottish Highlands in mid-September, I was joined on the first tee at Dornoch by none other than Sean Connery!  He was great company, and we shared a wee dram around the links…we drained the bottle in celebration when we both birdied Foxy!  His ancestral home is outside of Aberdeen, and he asked me to join him at Cruden Bay a few days later, but I was scheduled for a 36-hole day at Muirfield, so I regretfully declined.
   Here’s to 2013!

classic

Josh Tarble

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »

Here’s to 2013!

Joel, sounds like heck of a year, and I would totally believe you...except no one carries a 1-iron anymore!

Bill McKinley

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »
2012 started out really strong for me!

--The 36 hole day with Riviera in the morning and LACC North in the afternoon was tremendous!

--My first trip to The Masters in April, with my dad, was tough to top as well!

--My first hole in one in May.  Occurred in a Section Match play event on the 14th hole, which put us 1 up, we won 1 up. #Leenheer

Here's to a great 2013!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:38:09 AM by Bill McKinley »
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Matt Bradley

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
2012 was great to me, I'm so blessed to be able to play this amazing game.

-- 10 day golf trip in Ireland with my dad, Ed, and Bryan
-- Really enjoying my senior year of my high school golf with my great teammates
-- The Cherry Cup with Hart as my partner  ;)

I had a really enjoyed all of the great people I had a chance to meet and play with.

And special thanks to my dad, it's been amazing to play, travel, and enjoy time with him anywhere we play

Matt

Howard Riefs

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »

Here’s to 2013!

Sorry to see you're still suffering the effects of heat stroke from the Hundred Hole Hike.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Philippe Binette

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
Well, for me it was stepping on a golf course on May 23rd or so... It was only a month and a half after leaving the hospital, where I layed down for 40 days. On April 9th, I could hardly walk 10 minutes.

I only had enough energy to play 9 holes and funny enough, the more the round progressed the shorter my drives were going.

I managed to hole out a chip on the 4th hole for birdie.

It was just nice to pull out a great shot and play golf again.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »
Well, for me it was stepping on a golf course on May 23rd or so... It was only a month and a half after leaving the hospital, where I layed down for 40 days. On April 9th, I could hardly walk 10 minutes.

I only had enough energy to play 9 holes and funny enough, the more the round progressed the shorter my drives were going.

I managed to hole out a chip on the 4th hole for birdie.

It was just nice to pull out a great shot and play golf again.

What was wrong?  May I ask?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 04:52:33 AM »
1. Taking my son out to the par-three course a week after his 3rd birthday and watching him hit a real golf shot for the first time.

2. Playing with my wife on our 10th wedding anniversary at Breckenridge and watching her make her first birdie.

3. Shooting 70, and with it, setting a new personal best and getting within one shot of a lifelong goal.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 08:25:29 AM »
Highlight for 2012:  The 9 holes I played with my son (the only 9 holes I have played over the last 2 years).  Anything is possible with sufficient pain meds.  ;) 

Brad

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
Teeing it up at Pebble Beach with my dad, just two days shy of his 65th birthday. Then finishing the round and seeing my 16-month old eagerly awaiting us by the clubhouse.

Best golf moments from that round would include actually making solid contact and finding the fairway off the first tee (not just a lifelong concern, but a serious concern after my few minutes on the range), killing a drive into perfect position on 6, a perfectly struck 3-wood that carried with the wind on 8, finishing about 12 feet from the hole, and draining that putt.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
King's Putter at Sagebrush and Marine Drive.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
King's Putter at Sagebrush and Marine Drive.

+1, and Bandon in January
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Wilson

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »
Discovering, in early, August, that I was no longer limited to walking three or four holes before my left leg and hip and sacroiliac gave out.  Promptly putting that to good use by throwing my hickories over my shoulder at every opportunity.  Walking 72 holes in three days at Dixie Cup XII, including 27 two days in a row at Chechessee.  Beginning to make plans for a jaunt up the islands off the west coast of Scotland in the early summer of 2013 before hopping a plane to the Buda in the Netherlands.     

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
 ............... a buddy trip to Ballyneal, Sand Hills, Dismal, Prairie Club, and Sutton Bay... and after playing the original SB course
  getting a personally guided tour of the new course with Graham Marsh..........priceless

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back