News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Aaron Katz

We Ko Pa or Talking Stick?
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:20:51 PM »
I'll probably have one round of golf in the Phoenix area around Christmas time.  After hearing the news that the new We Ko Pa course will have opened up by that time, I have a question:  Should I play Talking Stick or the WKP Saguaro?  I've never played either one.  

I'm assuming I should go to the more mature Talking Stick; on the other hand, if We Ko Pa is going to be incredible . . . .

Bill_McBride

Re:We Ko Pa or Talking Stick?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 10:26:14 PM »
Aaron, if you like to walk, Talking Stick is a good choice.

Actually, you can walk the original course at We-ko-pa, but it's not designed as an easy walk as are both courses at Talking Stick.

Mike Nuzzo

Re:We Ko Pa or Talking Stick?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:18:41 AM »
I'd much rather you play We Ko Pa and tell us about it, as I've played Talking Stick and thought it was excellent...

;D

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Connor Dougherty

Re: We Ko Pa or Talking Stick?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 04:55:29 AM »
I wanted to bump this because I am trying to decide which one to play. If both are worth the time I may be able to extend the trip a day and see both. If anyone wants to join send me a PM, I'll be there on January 4th.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
Talking Stick North is well-designed considering that the property is a flat piece of desert. We-Ko-Pa is well designed AND its on a more interesting piece of ground with better views. Others disagree, but IMO its not even close--Saguaro all the way.

I've played a good number of the private clubs in the valley, and I'd still send people to Saguaro if they had one round in the area and could play anywhere they wanted. Its really good.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
I've since been given a great tour of C&C's We-ko-pa
I'd prefer to play there

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Connor,

Probably 90% here would say Saguara.  But it'd be a shame not to see both IMO if at all possible.  Personally I really like Talking Stick North and it's possibly more interesting from the point of view of what can be done with a flat piece of ground in good hands.  Interestingly, I thought it was a bit more forgiving, perhaps because with very little elevation change my wayward shots were less likely to bound off into the desert.  ;)  It's probably the only course I've ever really enjoyed playing from 7000 yards (I was playing with a college player that day).  See Ran's write up on the course and the bunkering in particular:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/talkingstick/

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:31:54 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Wagner

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Connor,

I love both courses...but if you have time, check out Vista Verde as well.  It doesn't get the attention it deserves - and it's priced right.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »
Both are very good, but Sagurao is far superior. Yes, it's true that there may be more to learn about how a flat site can be used at TSN, whereas WKPS is a very good piece of land that could have yielded a good course to many different architects.

Except ... if you're going to only play one ... play the one that's a better course, on better ground, with better views.

Or put it another way. I have specific memories of exactly two holes at TSN. I have very specific memories of every hole at Saguaro.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
Connor,

I love both courses...but if you have time, check out Vista Verde as well.  It doesn't get the attention it deserves - and it's priced right.
I was rather underwhelmed at TSN but really enjoyed Vista Verde. Its high on my list for the next trip out there.
Be the ball

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »
Played Vista Verde again yesterday. It's in great shape, but there was no one out there. Maybe a dozen cars in the lot, and only a couple of houses on the course.

The owners apparently have deep pockets -- I hope so. That would be a bad course to go out of business. If you're going to play Saguaro, a double with Vista is pretty doable if the day is long enough.

Jeff Blume

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
Playing Talking Stick in early February.  Any photos of the course or descriptions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
Playing Talking Stick in early February.  Any photos of the course or descriptions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you read through the Course reviews?
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/talkingstick/

When Ran says flat, don't picture Texas flat - it isn't that flat.
Have fun.

Jeff Blume

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Doesn't Talking Stick have two courses?  Are they both Coore & Crenshaw?

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:49 PM »
Jeff,

Yes, but the North is the more acclaimed of the two.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
The South is Parklandish, lots of trees - I rode it and didn't want to play it - I played the North again.
Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back