News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Jay Blasi is posted
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
The path taken by each architect that we have interviewed is always intriguing to read about because each story is so different. In the case of Jay Blasi, his parents actually encouraged him to pursue that which he loved (golf course architecture) as opposed to something more mainstream. From the first photo in this month's Feature Interview to his time in high school working at Robert Trent Jones II’s University Ridge Course, it seemed pre-ordained that he would work for a Jones so it’s interesting to read how events unfolded. He joined RTJII at age 23 two days prior to September 11th, 2001 and as he notes, one day after that black day and that job doesn’t exist.

Similar to other architects of his generation, original work is less abundant now than when he started which is offset by the fact that he has already been point contact on a project of high international acclaim (Chambers Bay). What an odd mix but I‘d take that over being mired working on mediocre projects that add little to architecture overall.

Other professions (doctors, lawyers, bankers) are geared cautiously, allowing a person to gradually learn/progress with greater responsibility coming with the passage of each decade. I don’t find that to be as true in golf course architecture where a creative young gun can make an immediate impact on any given project. Still where will Jay’s generation turn for a livelihood? Everything has to be on the table including practice areas. I had not previously understood the full breadth and scope of Stanford’s new one overseen by Jay while he worked for RTJII. To have a MacKenzie practice area beside a Dye one is both the work of a mad man and a stroke of brilliance! Just coming up with the idea shows the kind of out of the box thinking that will be required for an architect based in North America to be successful on a go forward basis.

Like many of us, Jay drew holes on paper at an early age but unlike 99.99% of us, he carried that all the way through into becoming an architect. My walk around Pinehurst No.2 with him during the 2008 US Amateur showed we shared many of the same design beliefs and that short grass can be a lovely menace. His comments on Chambers Bay and what they learned when it hosted the 2010 US Amateur are entertaining, educational and form the core of this month’s Feature Interview. Talk about fast and firm to the nth degree – just look at the aerial  :o of Chambers Bay during the 2010 Am that Jay provided from pro photographer Rob Perry in question 9. That’s my favorite golf photo I’ve seen all year as the color (or lack thereof!) of the turf is dream like. And yet ... it is actually problematic if a ball runs and runs … runs! For good golf, a ball does need to stop at some point and the greater variety of positions it can end in, the better. Even just being part of a team that wrestled with such a conundrum is an awfully cool thing to have happen in the early stages of one’s career.

Other neat projects have included the multi-option Patriot Course outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma and the opportunity to help Sharp Park. Looking out, what unknown project of interest will come his way in the next year or two? Not even Jay knows now that he is on his own but one thing seems sure: He has avoided banality so far while being involved with projects that involve a fresh twist. Based on his dedication and involvement, I am sure that will continue.

Hope you enjoy this month's Feature Interview.

Cheers,

Alex Miller

Re: Feature Interview with Jay Blasi is posted
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
Of the courses Jay has listed on his website, I've only played Rancho San Marcos, but without knowing that he is the driving force behind these projects they have always stood out to me under the RTJII name. I am a big fan of RSM, and Chambers Bay and The Patriot look great in photos. This interview highlights why I and others will seek out Jay Blasi designs in the future, and I wish the best to Jay in the Sharp Park efforts.

Well done!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:07:38 PM by Alex Miller »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:04:22 PM »
Thanks for the interview Ran. Jay was a very gracious and informative host for our GCA.com outing at Chambers Bay before it opened.

Jay and the staff arranged for me to have Ryan Moore's buddy and sometime caddie for my caddie, and I showed him how the game is really played. ;) One gets an unreal view of the game while caddying for someone like Ryan Moore.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »
Of the courses Jay has listed on his website, I've only played Rancho San Marcos, but without knowing that he is the driving force behind these projects they have always stood out to me under the RTJII name. I am a big fan of RSM, and Chambers Bay and The Patriot look great in photos. This interview highlights why I and others will seek out Jay Blasi designs in the future, and I wish the best to Jay in the Sharp Park efforts.

Well done!

Unless he did some renovation work at Rancho San Marcos, I think he's too young to have been the original architect. 

That's a good course but hurt in my opinion by two very long hikes which render what should be a very walkable course pretty much unwalkable. 

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »

Well done!

Unless he did some renovation work at Rancho San Marcos, I think he's too young to have been the original architect. 

That's a good course but hurt in my opinion by two very long hikes which render what should be a very walkable course pretty much unwalkable. 

I think you are correct, Bill. I believe it was rennovation work which at the very least included making a short semi-drivable par 4 with a road-hole-like green.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
My favorite memory of Jay was playing with Tiger Bernhardt in a four ball match against Jay and John Strawn at Cypress Point.  There was a stout wind that day, strong enough that at one point our opponents both had their caps on backward.  I remember thinking, gosh, I hope Sir Bob Huntley doesn't see this!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »
Nothing is tougher than trying to get/take credit for work you know you did on a project when the principal does not want to offer it up.
I found his commentary at the front to be clever.

I've was fortunate enough to meet Jay at Chambers Bay and have lunch with him and two other well-known architects.
The first thing he said is guys "be honest" what could have been done better...

The good ones ask how can I make this better.
The bad ones say, it’s perfect isn't it.

I expect Jay will do very well for himself.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »

Well done!

I think you are correct, Bill. I believe it was rennovation work which at the very least included making a short semi-drivable par 4 with a road-hole-like green.

As his website points out he was part of the renovation while an associate of RTJII in 2008.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
       I had  the good fortune to host Jay,his brother, and his dad at Beverly 2 years ago. Ironically , Jay's father caddied at Bev back in the day(early 1960's)when our caddies were not allowed to play from the tee boxes. It was great to see a caddy come home! What a fun day we had and its worth mentioning that Jac Blasi still has alot of game. As I recall Jay shot 73 which is pretty solid at Beverly. We capped off the evening at the elder Blasi's favorite pizza dive, Nick and Vito's.  As an aside, Jay's uncle Vince is an Evans Scholar alum from Beverly. The Blasi family has been very supportive of the program over the years. I have yet to play any of Jay's courses but hope to rectify that this year. Very engaging young man.                   
                                                                                   Jack

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
Wow, from the looks of that Stanford practice grounds, Jay better watch himself when home around Mad-town.  It is clear he has given great comfort and aid to the enemy.  I wonder how many football players and coaches at Stanford get their minds off of the pressure of the season, by hanging out at Jay's practice grounds design? Kind of funny actually, Jay grows up and works at University Ridge at UW, and then designs Stanford's practice grounds.  I'll bet Jay wears cardinal and red on New Years.... ;D ::) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 05:08:14 AM »
He seems to be doing a lot of work in the Bay Area!

It's good to see he is doing bunker work at The Bridges. I used to be a junior member there, and I found that the bunkers were almost like hard pan. It's a "Johnny Miller" design, but one of the stories that always gets passed around is that during his inaugural round at the course, Miller played 4 holes and quit because the course was too difficult. It was a great place to practice and I enjoyed every round I've played there.

Best of luck to Jay and his team as he works at Sharp Park, hopefully all ends well there.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Wow, from the looks of that Stanford practice grounds, Jay better watch himself when home around Mad-town.  It is clear he has given great comfort and aid to the enemy.  I wonder how many football players and coaches at Stanford get their minds off of the pressure of the season, by hanging out at Jay's practice grounds design? Kind of funny actually, Jay grows up and works at University Ridge at UW, and then designs Stanford's practice grounds.  I'll bet Jay wears cardinal and red on New Years.... ;D ::) 8)

When I played with him, Jay was wearing red all right....a nice red sweater with Bucky Badger on the front!   ;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
Jay is s good friend. When he was first introduced to me by an in common friend at RTJjr, it was as a great guy with a gift for design and a passion for his work second to none. Many years have since gone by that wonderful day we shared at Cypress Pointe, but his passion for architecture has not changed a bit. Jay loves the business and both the art and design aspects of architecture.  I hope you guys get to see more of his courses and enjoy his contributions to his profession and the game of golf over the next 30 or so years.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
With Jay doing the work at Sharp Park, I thought this would be a good place to say that the lawsuit against Sharp Park has been dropped!
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
Connor that would be great news.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back