News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Bunker Remodelling
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
Here are a few pics of a recent bunker remodel at Cromwell golf club in New Zealand.

Approximately 2 years ago, 5 holes were completely rebuilt and a new style of bunkering adopted. The new rugged look fits in well with the natural landscape and nicely reflects the rawness of the surrounding hills.

To ensure a consistency in style, it was always intended to eventually carry this style over to the original holes and adjust the existing bunkers as necessary.

Here are a couple of before and after pics of the work. It is fairly clear how the bunkers will now look but the grow in work is still required to complete them.

4th Green before:

4th Green after:

9th Fairway before:

9th Fairway after:

9th Green before:

9th green after:

An example of the bunkers on the completed holes once they have matured:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:27:42 PM by Grant Saunders »

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Bunker Remodelling
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:07:07 AM »
Grant,

The new bunkers seem to provide a greater visual contrast to the surrounding land and the give the impression that they're more difficult once you're in them.

I think that impression makes the golfer want to avoid them more than in their prior state.
Which in turn heightens their strategic importance.

Neil White

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 04:32:28 AM »
Grant,

Is the intention to grass up to the edges on all of them?

I for one actually prefer how they appear with the edges roughed up - it seems to sit well with the rocky / rough grass mountainsides which act as the backdrop to many of your photos.

Obviously a lot depends on the maintenance aspect.

Neil.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Grant

That's a nice looking course although I'm not sure that the bunkering makes much of a difference one way or the other. What I like about what I see is the landform with some nice movement. The bunkers don't look any more difficult to my eye and I really its just a different look which is fine by me, but so was the previous look. Are you involved in the changes ? If so, what was the intention for changing the bunkers ?

Niall

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
Niall,

Below is a natural blowout found at the Cromwell GC.  It may not be apparent but the entire site (well almost) lies on top of glacial sand deposits.  Think of it as a disjointed part of the "New Zealand Sandbelt". 

Keeping the above photo in mind for reference, the bunkering style is much more evocative of the sandy/wild ground which the course sits on.  If anything I would like to see more exposed informal "waste" areas wherever possible, instead of smooth, round bunker edges.

For full disclosure I worked with Grant back in 2010 to help out in the remodeling of some of the greens, tees, and bunkers.  I did not know how to operate an excavator at the time, but the Kiwis did teach me how to top-dress a green by hand!  Thanks Grant!
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:03:27 AM »
Grant,

Is the intention to grass up to the edges on all of them?

Neil.

Neil

They will be grassed up to the edges for the most part. On a couple maram grass maybe used on the side away from play where it meets the native vegetation. The ultimate look will be as per the last photo in the post which shows one that was done 2 years ago and has matured.

Grant

That's a nice looking course although I'm not sure that the bunkering makes much of a difference one way or the other. What I like about what I see is the landform with some nice movement. The bunkers don't look any more difficult to my eye and I really its just a different look which is fine by me, but so was the previous look. Are you involved in the changes ? If so, what was the intention for changing the bunkers ?

Niall

Niall

The style has been adopted to reflect on the ruggedness of the surrounding landscape. As Jeff notes, the site is primarily sand and features a number of areas where there is a nice natural waste area feel to it.  This coupled with the fantastic movement in the land made the existing bunker style feel quite contrived and at odds with the environment.  Also, for the record, I was involved in these changes and the rebuild of the other holes.

Jeff

Cromwell was a great project to be part of and a fun way to spend a few months. I finally played the new work and I think it has surpassed expectations. Certainly the 10th, where you did all that tie in work with the turf, has turned out amazing with its green that slopes away from play. I stood at the top of the hill hitting balls into it and slinging them off the slopes and it works great.

Here are a couple more photos of the course.

17th green

18th fairway bunker

10th green

16th green

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures, Grant.

A timely reminder that I really should try to visit Cromwell when I am in Queenstown next month. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:18:48 AM »
David

Be sure you do. Its just under an hours drive and totally worth it.

I hope to do a photo tour on it at some point and it would be nice if someone else was able to contribute.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
Jeff/Grant,

Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. It certainly looks like a charming natural (?) course in terms of the layout and with a light touch on the greenkeeping I can imagine dry areas getting scuffed up and taking on that natural bunker look. Scruffy round the edges is how I refer to it and how I like it.

I think you both mentioned new holes, are the holes in the pictures new or existing ?

Niall

Dane Hawker

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
Looks like a cool course, driven past it a few times. Will be down for the pga in feb so might try get a game there.
Grant how do you rate it against Arrowtown?

Carl Rogers

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 05:32:12 PM »
Will there be a different bunker maintenance regimen than with the pre-renovation bunkers?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Grant Saunders

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 01:18:54 AM »
Will there be a different bunker maintenance regimen than with the pre-renovation bunkers?

Carl

The maintenance will be essentially the same as the current schedule sees the bunkers handraked once a week. The maintenance crew consists of only 2 full time staff so there is no room for any greater attention. The new style will require trimming with a weedeater around them approx every 3 weeks. As there is only 11 bunkers for the whole course, it isnt too difficult for this to be achieved.

Looks like a cool course, driven past it a few times. Will be down for the pga in feb so might try get a game there.
Grant how do you rate it against Arrowtown?

Dane

If you are in the area, Cromwell is a must play. As far as a comparison to Arrowtown, I feel Arrowtown is so unique that it is difficult to do so. Cromwell is a very complete golf course and the new greens have added some very good strategy during the round. It is much longer than Arrowtown and offers a different kind of experience.

In my opinion, Cromwell should now be recognised as a top 15 if not top 10 course in the country.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:17 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:18:17 AM by Grant Saunders »

Grant Saunders

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »
Jeff/Grant,

Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. It certainly looks like a charming natural (?) course in terms of the layout and with a light touch on the greenkeeping I can imagine dry areas getting scuffed up and taking on that natural bunker look. Scruffy round the edges is how I refer to it and how I like it.

I think you both mentioned new holes, are the holes in the pictures new or existing ?

Niall

Niall

All of the photos I posted in the second lot are of newly constructed greens. There was always great movement through much of the course but a few greens failed to reflect this. The redevelopment has taken care of this issue and resulted in a strong course from start to finish with a very good 4 hole closing stretch. There is great potential to revert a number of out of play areas to a snady waste type appearance but it is a slow education of the members. The club however must be comended on embracing the changes to date and I envisage more minor changes being made in the future.

Here are a few more photos from the redevelopment:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:17:51 AM by Grant Saunders »

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »
Thanks Grant, it looks as though you've got some really nice movement in the fringes and those greens look as though they fit in well. Really nice looking course.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back