News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

there has been much Bandonista talk about Trails and the changes to 14-18 this winter

here's why the course is closed for the next several months

240 yds in

180 yd in

hump removal at 160 yds in

looking back form 232 yds in

350 yds out from the tee
you can see the green site

260 yds out

slope smoothed by green

nice day

pristine sod cutting of the fairway and green, like natural surgery

thanks

ps.

nice day at the beach, no wind, 55ish
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:52:39 PM by William_Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Greg Ohlendorf

Re: Bandon Trails #18 sodcut and bulldoze pics
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
The pics of 18 are really interesting, but that beach is amazing!!

Greg

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
Bill;

Nice beach pic!!  My girlfriend and I walk the beach at sunset every chance we get, and never tire of the walk, the sunsets, or taking pictures there.  She must have a thousand shots akin to yours.  And they never get old!

As to the others, thanks for posting.  I have been watching the work progress on 18, 1 tee, 2 tee, and the right hand bunker on 2 green.  All looks to be moving along beautifully.
The 18th green is now approx 3-4 ft. lower, with a MUCH softer approach. 

Best from Bandon,
Tom
the pres

William_G

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:44 PM »
thanks Tom

is there a bunker on the right of 2, LOL
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »

Greg

love Bandon  ;)

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Will Lozier

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »
William,

Did you manage to snap any photos of 14?  I've been really curious as to even the widening of the green a few years ago?  When I worked there, it was in it's original incarnation - one of my favorite holes on property.  I am even more curious to see it's next iteration.  16? 

It sounds like you didn't play today?

Cheers

Kirk Moon

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »

Greg

love Bandon  ;)

thanks
Love Bandon.  Love the pic at the beach. 

Can you have a doggie in the rooms at Bandon or do you have to stay in town if you have a pooch? 

(Dog lover here.  Trying to figure out a way to make this work for me, my wife and our "third child", Mika.)

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
Gray,

Thanks for the photos.

You've played Trails a ton.  Do you like the changes on this hole?

William_G

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
William,

Did you manage to snap any photos of 14?  I've been really curious as to even the widening of the green a few years ago?  When I worked there, it was in it's original incarnation - one of my favorite holes on property.  I am even more curious to see it's next iteration.  16? 

Cheers

Maybe a bit wider on the left than when you were last there...

If you primarily hit the ball left to right, this hole is not good for that.

love 14

on 16 the front left of the green is about 3 feet higher and the fairway bunker is gone at about 110 out

It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
Gray,

Thanks for the photos.

You've played Trails a ton.  Do you like the changes on this hole?

18 will be easier, no doubt

keeping it on the right side of the fairway and out of the fairway bunker on the left will be easier

the approach to the green will be less severe

the hole will be less like the final mile of a marathon, but it will still be a tough birdie hole with a prevailing north wind in summer
It's all about the golf!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
Thanks for posting this Gray! I am already having Bandon withdraws and am trying to figure out how I can arrange a trip in the next few months. 18 looks like it is coming along nicely and also will make this hole a little friendlier.

William_G

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
Stephen...$75 for Oregonians  :P
It's all about the golf!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Haha! Don't rub it in!  :-[

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
William, will you be able to see the group in front of you when you're standing on the 18th tee? Previously, you couldn't tell when it was safe to hit.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

William_G

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:40:34 AM »
yes, you should be able to see them as they approach the green

actually never had that problem there previously FWIW
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:46:35 AM »
Brian,

yes, you posted some great pics and you were loving it!

you can get great weather, just can't plan on it
It's all about the golf!

Will Lozier

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »
William,

Cheers

Maybe a bit wider on the left than when you were last there...

If you primarily hit the ball left to right, this hole is not good for that.

love 14

on 16 the front left of the green is about 3 feet higher and the fairway bunker is gone at about 110 out

I wish they hadn't done anything to 14...but, if they did change anything, I wish the depression left was maintained as green to bring the left and long more into play on the approach.  It would be a really neat two-tiered green separated by that vertical ridge.

Cheers

Tim Pitner

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »
I was not a supporter of changes to BT #14 but I like the sound of the work on #18.  It seemed to play awfully tough, especially considering it is often into the wind and played as the 36th hole of the day. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

you can get great weather, just can't plan on it

Truer words were never spoke...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »
When do the courses at Bandon become sacred ground?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »

As soon as everyone can agree that the contours that nature put there are still in place.

Internet troll is trolling, news at 11.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Sven,

What is wrong with defining a point when a great modern course like those at Bandon should be left alone from major alterations?  How was my question trolling?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

"Sacred ground" is a phrase that consists of two words that, when put together, have caused more grief, havoc and loss of life than one could ever mathematically determine.  The Middle East, for one example, is riddled with "sacred ground", none of it particularly useful for golf, unfortunately...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
John:

I've read your comments on the Old Course changes.  If you're going to say what you wrote here wasn't a tongue in cheek reference to what you've said elsewhere, I find that hard to believe.

I don't want to turn this thread into a comparison between Bandon and St. Andrew's.  They are vastly different places, and if you don't understand that then you really don't get the crux of the argument behind leaving TOC alone.

My guess is that Keiser will continue to make changes to the courses at Bandon, but he will do so with the participation of the original architects.  He's in the business of creating an enjoyable golfing experience, and altering his courses is part of that business.

I was not in the camp that thought Trails needed to be changed, I liked it like it was.  But I can understand how a resort course that sees all levels of players (many of them probably making their one and only trip to the resort) would want to soften a few holes here and there.  In the grand scheme of things, these are very young courses and it is completely understandable that there might have been a gap between the architect's vision and the owner's goals, a gap that is being narrowed with these tweaks.

The interesting question to me is if any of the other three courses will see additional changes.  I understand that both Bandon and Pac Dunes have seen some minor changes (not talking just gorse removal here).  I wonder if, with a few years of patron play to study under Keiser's belt, Old Mac will undergo the same process.

As for the trolling, I guess I'd rather see people participate in the conversation rather than throw out Twitter posts designed to enflame.

All the best,

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »

"Sacred ground" is a phrase that consists of two words that, when put together, have caused more grief, havoc and loss of life than one could ever mathematically determine.  The Middle East, for one example, is riddled with "sacred ground", none of it particularly useful for golf, unfortunately...

I don't know Terry, isn't Palestine made up of primarily sandy based soil.... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back