News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Highlight of 2012
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
Time to have a look at what was the best in golf for another year.

Normally for me it has been visiting new courses, returning to old favourites, catching up with GCA friends etc.  This year has been different.  The ability to play again after a year off, due to a back fusion has been the highlight.  Playing with my regular groups, being in the golf environment again has been a revelation.  It has taught me what really counts and not to worry about the score as much.

What has been your highlight?

Ben Sims

Re: Highlight of 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
National Golf Links of America with Wyatt Halliday and Ryan Mahaffey.  

The best part of that day was Southsides on the back porch, watching the sun go down over 18 green and Peconic.  

--Big thanks go to Jim Colton for starting the Ben Cox raffle some 20 months ago.  

I guess the second highlight of the year was getting a new assignment away from Del Rio, TX. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:59:46 PM by Ben Sims »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
My first trip to Bandon Dunes in late October. I went with my wife, who has become a good player and a true lover of the game over the past 20 years. We spent three nights and four days, played all four 18-hole courses (kept missing out on a late-day round at The Preserve because of weather or bad timing), visited the coast in and around Bandon, OR, during a rainy morning, and enjoyed every moment of the trip, including getting soaking wet at Pacific Dunes. We would both love to go back again as soon as possible.

I spent the summer writing a book and nursing a sore back which kept me from walking a single round between July 5 and Oct. 22. I was very concerned that I wouldn't be able to walk four rounds at Bandon, but taking a caddy helped a lot, and like Ash, I was thrilled just to know I could still walk and play golf.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

hhuffines

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »
Team Bradley win at Kingsley followed by multiple Jamesons...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 04:44:35 PM »
The Deer Donkey, a four-day extravaganza at Dismal River and Sand Hills. I could tell you how we came up with the name, but it is best told over martinis.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
The highlight of my old Christmas letters (for me) was the list of my 10 Favorite Rounds of Golf each year.  I have played so little in some recent years that I stopped making such a list, but this year had plenty of highlights:

1.  Himalayan Golf Club in Nepal in December, with David Lee, Masa Nishijima, and Maj. Ram Gurung
2.  Rock Creek in our family golf event in August, with Jennifer Florence, Michael Doak, Dan Testa, Gina Testa, and Christina Testa
3.  Chicago Golf Club in September, with Scott Bordner and Tom Shapland.
4.  Streamsong (Blue course) in January, with David Armitage, David Lee and Simon Holt
5.  Gavea Golf Club in January, with Ed Mate and Brian Schneider
6.  Sharp Park in February, with Joel Stewart, Gib Papazian, Jay Blasi and his wife
7.  Sebonack in October, with Neil Crafter and Paul Mogford
8.  Beverly Country Club in October, with David Lee, Li Na, and Paul Richards
9.  Stone Forest International (C Course) in December, with Brian Curley and Masa Nishijima
10.  Golf de Neguri in August, with Kristel Mourgue d'Algue

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »
playing my first pain-free round of the year -- in mid-october.

no new courses for me since i didnt play that much, though I really enjoyed medinah #1 in one of the last rounds pre-rework.    Cant wait to see it after Renaissance Golf is done with the work.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »
Team Bradley win at Kingsley followed by multiple Jamesons...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hart...YOU are the highlight of 2012.

Bart

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
September 1 hit all the notes for me:

* 18 @ Machrihanish w/ Ron Csigo and Brian Sheehy. The golf course is in my top 3. A dream really...
* Dinner at the Old Clubhouse Inn. The Cullen skink was to die for.
* Late night at a local watering hole called The Feathers, where we met the Camp-town Lady. :-*

* They closed at midnight but by then we'd made a bunch of new friends who took us to the late late club called Whisky Macs - an old warehouse basically with a bar and a dance floor. There we discovered Absinthe (dreadful) and before the night was through Ron and I were carrying around a listless Mr. Sheehy ala Weekend at Bernie's. As complete a day as there ever was!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
September 1 hit all the notes for me:

* 18 @ Machrihanish w/ Ron Csigo and Brian Sheehy. The golf course is in my top 3. A dream really...
* Dinner at the Old Clubhouse Inn. The Cullen skink was to die for.
* Late night at a local watering hole called The Feathers, where we met the Camp-town Lady. :-*

* They closed at midnight but by then we'd made a bunch of new friends who took us to the late late club called Whisky Macs - an old warehouse basically with a bar and a dance floor. There we discovered Absinthe (dreadful) and before the night was through Ron and I were carrying around a listless Mr. Sheehy ala Weekend at Bernie's. As complete a day as there ever was!

+1

I'm am dying of laughter here.  Let's not forget Sheehy's early morning scurrying!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
Winning the Golspie Autumn Open Senior Stableford (with 38 points!).  ;)

Keith Buntrock

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
I've got two I'll share

Playing with Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Tony Romo in the annual Ray Fischer tournament in Janesville Riverside, WI. Then holing out for an eagle on hole 11 from 140 yards. Followed up by my first hole in one in 12 from 120. Those were my 2nd and 3rd holes of the day.

Being at work in July and getting a call from the USGA asking me if I could make a 1 pm tee time at the US Publinks tournament in Utah the next day (I was an alternate). After a 230 am wake up call Monday morning I made the trip from Milwaukee to Ohare and then flew to Salt Lake City. Another 90 minutes of driving, check in at hotel, and lunch was followed by my first time hitting balls in a week. One of the cooler 81s I've shot

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »
Tough call.  Could easily be finally getting out to Crystal Downs and closing our host and his partner out on the final hole.  But certainly the biggest surprise of the year was getting down to Harrison Hills and seeing the scope of the place in person.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
Kingsley with Bart and Hart and the rest of the crew is high on my list as well.  #1 in my mind for awhile, in fact, until I remember walking St. Albert's with Eric.  That is my #1 Highlight.  But, Kingsley is so very, very good...and the event and company were great!

Other big time highlights were:

The 5th Major;
Rustic with The Emperor and crew;
Ohio golf;
and popping over to play Rivermont on any given day.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BHoover

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
Mac, where did you play in Ohio this past year?

Cory Lewis

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
Lots of highlights in 2012.  

The biggest highlight was playing my 1000th golf course, Pine Valley.  The thread discussing that amazing day is here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52954.0.html .  Not much more to say about it except to again thank those that made it happen. I just can't thank you enough.  

Lots of other highlights in no particular order:

1.  Playing Seminole in May with 3 others GCA’ers.

2.  5th Major trip.  Many thanks to Eric Smith for inviting us and a big shout out to my 5th Major partner Sam Morrow.  Though I give him a lot of shit on here, he is a great guy and it was a pleasure to be his partner.  I hope we can do it again in 2013.

3.  Three site visits to a course under construction.  Many thanks to the individual that made this possible.  He is doing one heck of a job there and his hard work will be recognized by many.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
Rules official first and second holes at Pine Valley and watching and meeting some great GCA guys. Being the GAP volunteer of the year was neat too. ;D
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
My GCA Golf Highlights in no particular order:

1.  Royal Melbourne and Barnbougle with my very good friend Joe Andriole who was also with me when I played Kingston Heath with Matthew Mollica and St. Andrews Beach and National Moonah with David Elvins.  I even got to have lunch with Mac because of missing my flight out of Atlanta  ;D.
2.  Kingsley, Crystal, and Indianwood with my son, and many good friends (including GCAers Mac, Hart Huffines, Ed Oden, Mike Devries, Will Smith, and Frank Sullivan)
3.  Ireland (including my first trip to Royal County Down) and Wales with my son, Ed Oden and Bryan Waiss.  I'll never forget the drinks I had in a bar in Lahinch with Patrick Glynn.
4.  Swinley Forest, Littlestone and The Addington with my son
5.  Oakland Hills and Inverness with my son and some awesome members.
6.  Seminole with my "Coursendonk" buddies (14 years and counting) -- my friend "Smooth" holing out a 40 foot putt on 18 to win the match.
7.  Going to see Old Town with my son thanks to my new friend Will Spivey
8.  A fall trip to Newport, Wannamoissett, Oyster Harbors and few others with Joe Andriole and Ed Oden
9.  Hosting several new and old friends at Grandfather and The Old Farm (including Ran putting off the 18th green at The Old Farm to allow me to halve the match).

I am blessed by each of the people that I mentioned above and many that I failed to mention.  This game has brought so much joy to my life.  I asked to join this website at a time when I was bed-bound by a ruptured Achilles.  I never thought so much good could come out of something so bad. 

I must say that in 2013 I will again make numerous offers to host you all at my clubs...it is such a small favor to return to the game and to all of you on this site for your kindness and friendship.

Best,

Bart

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »
36 hole day at Sand Hills, solo.

TK

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Lots of highlights in 2012.  

The biggest highlight was playing my 1000th golf course, Pine Valley.  The thread discussing that amazing day is here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52954.0.html .  Not much more to say about it except to again thank those that made it happen. I just can't thank you enough.  

Lots of other highlights in no particular order:

1.  Playing Seminole in May with 3 others GCA’ers.

2.  5th Major trip.  Many thanks to Eric Smith for inviting us and a big shout out to my 5th Major partner Sam Morrow.  Though I give him a lot of shit on here, he is a great guy and it was a pleasure to be his partner.  I hope we can do it again in 2013.

3.  Three site visits to a course under construction.  Many thanks to the individual that made this possible.  He is doing one heck of a job there and his hard work will be recognized by many.

Aww, you're sweet. I am fun to be around.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
I can't come up with one highlight so I'll go with a few. I had a nice 54 hole day earlier this year at Whispering Pines, I was the only player on property I think, tough place to spend the day.

My entire midwest trip, Prairie Dunes in a 30mph wind, a day at Prairie Club, finishing the Horse Course in the dark all while enjoying a bottle of bourbon. Sand fricking Hills and a burger at the best halfway house in golf, followed by a few days at Dismal for 5th Major. A long night on the patio with Smith, Kavanaugh, Sheehy, Lyon, and Spivey, and a beautiful day at Wild Horse.

2012 Has been a great year, still more adventure as I head to Wolf Point this weekend.

Doug Wright

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
My first trip to Riviera (final round of LA Open), what a gem that course is. Much better than anticipated—tremendous topography and routing. The 3 man playoff on #10 illustrated what a wonderful short par 4 that hole is.
The Hundred Hole Hike @ Ballyneal. 105 degrees in a blast furnace—what a blast.
Caddying for Brian Colbert in the US am qualifying rounds at CommonGround and Cherry Hills.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »
Tonight when putting my youngest daughter to bed I laid my head down on the pillow beside her and began to fall asleep. It's been a long and busy weekend. Just before nodding off I thought of my friends, in particular, the post I made in this thread earlier. I had a chuckle and thought that truly was as fun a day as I think I've ever had. Drinking helped. ;) I thought too of the week out at Dismal for the Hundred Hole Hike and 5th Major. A bunch of great memories with great friends. It's easy for me to go with fun as the highlight. But what kept me awake tonight was one of the constant faces popping up in my memories from this year - my friend (and yours) Mike Whitaker. Mike had a heart attack back in the spring / early summer. When it happened, I, like many of you I'm sure, feared for the worst. But soon after I spoke to Mike on the phone - it may've been the very next day (I think?) - and he told me he was ok and going to have a full recovery! Well, the rest we all know is history. Mike had a great big golf year in 2012. Nearly as big as his 2011 campaign! Mike - with his spirited recovery - is unequivocally the highlight of 2012 for me. Mike, if you're reading - Merry Christmas, pal.

Todd Melrose

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:11 AM »
Had an awesome trip to Monterey in April with my Dad, where we played MPCC Shore course with a good family friend and also Bayonnet, which was surprisingly really fun. The weather that day was threatening rain but we went out anyway, and had the course all to ourselves.

Last year we did the Bandon trip together, so that is tough to beat, but absolutely love the Carmel area- hoping to get back again to play a few more courses there

My #2 would be Chambers Bay, where we went in August. Beautiful day and enjoyed the course
My #3 would be Talking Stick in Scottsdale. LOVED this course
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:35:40 AM by Todd Melrose »

Scott Sander

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »
Played one round each with both of my favorite living architects - one at his home course, the other at a wonderful ODG course.
Both gentlemen were extremely generous with their knowledge and patient with what must have been rambling streams of questions, comments, and other assorted dorkishness.
Outside of rounds with my father and son, I'm not sure I could possibly have a better golfing highlight.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back