News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: The Salt of the Earth...Hainan
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
Quinn, that is a very interesting table.  I assume it is dessert, and there appears to be 10 identical style cakes and 2 bottles of wine at every cake, not to mention the fruit and nuts.  All, in a lovely outdoor evening setting!  It doesn't seem to be the sort of meal, my preconceived and obviously incorrect notion of a laborer's meal.

Is there a story about the meal and how it was all prepared and presented?  Was it on the project site?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Mr.Daley,

An elaborate table it is, on top...underneath is plywood held up by cinderblocks...
It was Thanksgiving...there was chicken, geese, dumplings by the dozens, fruit, nuts, cakes made the night before, pots of corn and ample amounts of headache wine and stir-fryed brandy...
Amazing how the people were hesitant, as if it wasn't for them...
The laborers, everybody that made it possible; they stood to the side for a long time, waiting for some college kid to sit down first...
It took one brave soul to sit down for the rest of them to follow...then smiles; chicken, dumplings, wine, and cake...
Pete, our translator, gave a small speech about the holiday of Thanksgiving...it was done well, everyone was listening while trying to keep their chewing to a hush.
We played Aretha Franklin till the cake was done, lit off fireworks in between tracks...danced a few times...and shared a toast in between a hundred smiles.
All was welcome,
All were thankful.

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
Quinn, thanks for a very interesting glimpse of what appears to be a rare and eye opening experience learning about different cultures. 

I don't know if I missed more information on you on another thread, Quinn, but your post really does raise the curiosity as to what your mission is there in Hainan.  I assume you are with one of the major golf course construction companies.  Would you do a post on the introduction page and tell us a bit more about yourself, and if you can, who your work for, where else you have traveled in your golf course work?  Thanks.

The Who are you guys thread:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fdfcc8a82911cc3606417424339f56ad&topic=240.650
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back