News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeb Bearer

Re: How important is walkability in extreme terrain?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
I've played many rounds where the experience was enhanced by a cart. The GOLF experience might not have been enhanced, but the social experience certainly was. It's really hard to carry a six pack and the pizza you had delivered at the turn in a Mackenzie.

I think it depends on the course. Sure, a manufactured penal Myrtle Beach type course that holds little strategic interest might be enhanced by a cart. But a MacKenzie gem would not, because part of the experience is how the course takes you on a journey through nature, and what makes the course great is how it moves through nature without unduly disturbing it. A cart complete with state-of-the-art GPS system would ruin the illusion of being alone in nature.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »
Jeb, I don't know that any course is enhanced in a cart. I can always gain better knowledge of a course by walking it. I see more and get a much better look at the architecture.

But not every round of golf is about fully experiencing a course or getting in tune with nature. While that's definitely one of the things that separates great design from good, mediocre, or bad, it's not always the point. Sometimes, it's just about relaxing and having a good time with your buddies for a few hours.

I still play plenty of golf with people who couldn't even misidentify a Cape hole, and those rounds are some of the most fun I have even though they're usually on mediocre courses and the golf itself is usually pretty unmemorable. A round of golf can be a lot of different things, and a cart isn't always a detriment. If you're drinking a case of beer (or Capri Sun) and having pizza delivered to the clubhouse at the turn, a cart helps a lot. And if I ever want to play with my 80 year old grandfather who is on his third shoulder, third knee, third humerus, and second heart, a cart is a necessity. In the latter case we'll probably also be playing a $10 executive course, and it won't feel any less special than the stroll I took a few months ago as the first group off at Pinehurst #2.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »

I think it depends on the course. Sure, a manufactured penal Myrtle Beach type course that holds little strategic interest might be enhanced by a cart. But a MacKenzie gem would not, because part of the experience is how the course takes you on a journey through nature, and what makes the course great is how it moves through nature without unduly disturbing it. A cart complete with state-of-the-art GPS system would ruin the illusion of being alone in nature.

Jen,

Would you list the MacKenzie courses sited on extreme terrain ?

Walkability was made easy by the "ODG's" because of the juxtaposition of the tees to the previous greens.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

Jen,

Would you list the MacKenzie courses sited on extreme terrain ?

Walkability was made easy by the "ODG's" because of the juxtaposition of the tees to the previous greens.

I was speaking more in general. There is a mountainous Ross course, Highlands CC in NC, that is a very enjoyable walk.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back