News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Blume

Off the beaten path!
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:35 PM »
I am sure this has been done before, but I thought it might be interesting to get some of you to expound upon some of the lesser known, affordable public layouts that you have played.  The hidden gems that all of us might like to try out if we happen to be in your area.  Pictures would be nice, and I would post some myself if I could figure out how.

Anyway, here are a couple for starters.

Memorial Park Golf Course in Houston - although not that obscure, a fine layout that is enjoyable and affordable.  Getting on might be a problem as it is the busiest course in Houston.

Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course in Fredericksburg, Texas - this one we just renovated and is situated in a great tourist town.  Enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing at a great price.

Boiling Springs Golf Course in Woodward, Oklahoma - this is one we are currently renovating.  It is set in a sand hills area in western Oklahoma and is on one of the best sites I have had the pleasure to work on.  Renovation will be complete in summer 2013, and will definitely be worth the trip.

The Wilderness Golf Club in Lake Jackson, Texas - challenging Brauer design set amongst mature oak trees.  Interesting and challenging design at a great price.  Just watch out for the mosquitos.

Sam Morrow

Re: Off the beaten path!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
I am sure this has been done before, but I thought it might be interesting to get some of you to expound upon some of the lesser known, affordable public layouts that you have played.  The hidden gems that all of us might like to try out if we happen to be in your area.  Pictures would be nice, and I would post some myself if I could figure out how.

Anyway, here are a couple for starters.

Memorial Park Golf Course in Houston - although not that obscure, a fine layout that is enjoyable and affordable.  Getting on might be a problem as it is the busiest course in Houston.

Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course in Fredericksburg, Texas - this one we just renovated and is situated in a great tourist town.  Enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing at a great price.

Boiling Springs Golf Course in Woodward, Oklahoma - this is one we are currently renovating.  It is set in a sand hills area in western Oklahoma and is on one of the best sites I have had the pleasure to work on.  Renovation will be complete in summer 2013, and will definitely be worth the trip.

The Wilderness Golf Club in Lake Jackson, Texas - challenging Brauer design set amongst mature oak trees.  Interesting and challenging design at a great price.  Just watch out for the mosquitos.

I love The Wilderness, it's one of the most underrated courses in Texas. Gotta ask how you can forget Pine Dunes though?

Jeff Blume

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »
I used to play Pine Dunes on my way to site visits when I was renovating Hide-A-Way Lake in 2004-2005.  Fun track and well worth the mention.  Good call.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
I haven't played it, but it'll come up... Aiken Golf Club.

Herbert Strong's Lakeview Golf Course near Toronto is now a muni and very worth seeing.

Atlantic National is a Joe Lee design near Lake Worth, FL and as a clear step above most of the public stuff in Florida.

A couple very under-the-radar 9-holers are Stanley Thompson's Allandale Golf Course and Architect Unknown's  Bracebridge Golf Club
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:04:02 PM by Mark Saltzman »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Since you gents are from TX;  have you ever played rounds here:

http://www.delawaresprings.com/course/

The prices are sure right!  We have a GCA.com write up from a dozen years ago, but no one seems to ever talk about it in commentary for years.  If Axeland and Proctor built - designed it, it can't be bad!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:04:25 PM »
I used to play Pine Dunes on my way to site visits when I was renovating Hide-A-Way Lake in 2004-2005.  Fun track and well worth the mention.  Good call.

Another fun, cheap course in that area is Big Cedar in Teague. It's not a very good course, some goofy holes but usually in decent shape and some good elevation change.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
Since you gents are from TX;  have you ever played rounds here:

http://www.delawaresprings.com/course/

The prices are sure right!  We have a GCA.com write up from a dozen years ago, but no one seems to ever talk about it in commentary for years.  If Axeland and Proctor built - designed it, it can't be bad!  ;D

I've not been there yet but have heard wonderful things.

Jeff Blume

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »
RJ,

I haven't played Delaware Springs, but it is not far from Lady Bird.  The pro and superintendent at LBJ spoke highly of the place so I may need to check it out the next time I am out that way.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
For the course in the cornfields - Mystic Hills (IN) - http://petedyegolftrail.com/pete-dye-golf-trail/mystic-hills

For feeling like you're at the ends of the earth - Greywalls (MI)

For the course that may be the furthest from the next closest - Rochelle Ranch (WY)

For a complete surprise in the middle of nowhere - Links of North Dakota (ND)

For the course that you have to drive by the most courses to get to - Vista Verde (AZ)

And finally, for the real Mom and Pop course - 93 Golf Ranch (ID) (Mom serves the beer, Pop cuts the grass)
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
The aforementioned Atlantic National in Lake Worth, FL was formerly known as Lacuna CC. New owners have turned the course and the club around:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/atlantic-national-golf-club/nLzDZ/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:20:47 PM »
Jeff B. and any other of the Texas guys -

Are you familiar with the Schriener muni course in Kerrville? How does it compare to the Lady Bird course near Fredericksburg?

DT
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:22:57 PM by David_Tepper »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
Lehigh Valley, PA

Berkleigh Golf Club- a neat and enjoyable Robert White course that was actually private for about 80+ years.
Tumblebrook Golf Course-  Donald Ross originally built this course as a 9 hole estate course.  Now a very affordable muni.
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Cameron DeVries

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
I took a trip to Northern Cal a few years ago and played Northwood, the 9 holer designed in 1928 by MacKenzie.  A fantastic setting and some great holes.  Most of the course is lined with giant redwoods something I've never seen on a golf course anywhere else.  We also played the Sea Ranch by Muir Graves - seems highly underrated to me, I loved it.  Good strategic holes and a wonderful site by the ocean.  Another we played was Bodega Harbour, also on a dramatic site near the ocean.  It has an odd mix of spectacular & funky holes, but overall it is quite memorable.  The last 3 holes really are unique, playing right along the beach w/ 18 presenting one of the better finishing holes I've seen.

Closer to my home, Soule Park in Ojai is about 40 minutes from Santa Barbara and a fun weekend getaway course.  A large barranca runs through the center and comes into play on several holes. 

Rancho San Marcos is about 15 minutes away.  Way up in the Santa Ynez Mountains, gets pricey but the overall layout is worth the trip + the practice facility is the best in the area. 

About 50 minutes from my house is La Purisima, which hosted Q School in the famous final day rainout of 1996.  Inexpensive and formerly high on the Golf Magazine Top 100 Public List.  Its on the market right now for $6.3 million, so it could be turned into a vineyard soon. 
Also in the area about 12 miuntes from La P is Marshallia Ranch, routed in sand dunes and iceplant near the ocean - one of the best military courses in the country.

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their mind cannot change anything."  -George Bernard Shaw

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
Copake Country Club in Copake Lake, NY, may be the ideal off-the-beaten-path golf course. Recently-restored Dev Emmet course that's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Connecticut National GC in Putnam, CT is great, too. Recently renovated by Mark Mungeam, it has a whole mess of fun shots and holes.

Sugarloaf GC in Sugarloaf, PA is a lovely Geoffrey Cornish course over some great terrain.

All three of these courses cost well under $50 to play and are wonderful.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jason Thurman

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
A few worth a play:

Gibson Bay - Richmond, KY:
Probably the best value hole-for-hole that I've seen. Back when I was playing it you could walk for about $11. It's a very good Hurdzan and Fry design that has plenty of width and openness for the high handicapper while stretching to over 7000 yards for the low handicapper. A handful of very good holes, usually in very good condition, and a solid test of golf. Nothing too memorable, but a huge asset to the game in its community with a lighted par 3 course and a full practice facility too. This is what public golf should be.

Picadome and Kearney Hill - Lexington, KY:
Lexington has a very solid municipal golf system. The crown jewel of their four courses is Kearney Hill, a PB Dye design that has hosted the Publinks and the Senior Tour. It's a good course with an excellent set of par 3s and very tough. The stretch from 14-17 is about as good as it gets in Kentucky public golf. Picadome is a shorter course from the Golden Age on a much smaller property and very mundane tract of land. It's a tremendously elegant design with 18 good-to-excellent holes, though no world-beaters. It's a lesser course due to its property but a better design and probably more interesting for an architecture fan. Both can be walked for under $30 pretty much any time.

7 at Picadome

Approach to 14

Woodland Hills – Lincoln, NE:

Among the best residential courses I’ve played, It’s a Jeff Brauer design that overcomes a few long transitions between holes by using a limited property exceptionally well. The 9th, in particular, is one of the most interesting half par holes I’ve played. Nothing overwhelming, but a really pleasant and enjoyable round of golf in an unlikely setting.

The 266 yard par 4 9th

Approach to 14

Waveland – Des Moines, IA:

One of my personal favorites, it’s a rundown muni near the campus of Drake University. Like every course west of Ohio built before 1925, it bills itself as the oldest course west of the Mississippi river (late 1890s). The architecture has been terribly neglected but its bones remain. An absolute must-see for any architecture fan, as it’s an exceptional property that features stretches of tremendous holes that are handcuffed by poor conditioning, flat greens, and ridiculous overgrowth. A really interesting, fun, and slightly tragic golf course.

The 3rd hole shows off both the excellent terrain and the heinous tree encroachment

225-ish yard par 3 10th

Brilliant approach to the par 5 12th

The approach to 17 shows the typical ground movement at Waveland

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »

The 3rd hole shows off both the excellent terrain and the heinous tree encroachment

I wish that cartpath still went down the middle like it did when I was a kid.  It was the only way I could reach the green in two.

I have always wanted to a "My Home Course" tour of Waveland.  There is so much there that is terrific and hideous as your photos capture.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Saskatchewan

Waskesui - stunning, stunning land with a half dozen super cool short par fours - wacky, brilliant golf course - $30-40
Dakota Dunes - setting is a ten, golf course is pretty good and one of the great "almosts" - worth playing  - $30-40 a steal!
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jason Thurman

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Jason, I have photos of most of the course. Just shoot me a PM if you ever want to use them. The glare is pretty rough in a few of them as they were taken in late afternoon on a 94 degree day in August of 2011, but I'd love to read more about the course from someone so familiar with it. It was my unofficial home course while I was working in Des Moines from Summer 2011-Spring 2012, and I really grew fond of it in spite of its obvious blemishes.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
I was in Iquitos, Peru in the Amazon seeing the sights.  It is the largest city in the world not reachable by road as you either fly or take the Amazon.  I am at a BBQ place (yes a Texan guy married a youn Peruvian and retired there) and I got set up to play the new course with the local pro the next day.  (Stated he was like #12 in Peru).  Get picked up by a tuk tuk moto taxi by the pro himself and we drive into the jungle.  After about 40 minutes we reach a clearing down a dirt road and I see a goat farm driving range and a few pins around.  The balls were circa Vietnam war and the clubs were vintage WWII MacGregors.  I hit a couple of balls to get the hang of the whippy driver and we are off.  My local caddy from what I remember was barefoot and about 9 yrs old.  He carried the clubs over his shoulder, under his arm and however he could without a strap.  I just remember thinking I have to beat this #12 guy in Peru.  First hole par 3 and I get on and two putt, he bogeys.  Second hole par 4 312 and I drive the green and two putt and he bogeys (my caddy had never seen anyone drive that hole and when I told him I was going for it he said "no chance" (granted I might have been the 3rd person to play there)....it was all downhill from there as I played the 12 holes about 3 under and he was about 6-8 over.  Wished I would have put some Soles $ on it.  That weekend I went to catch piranha on the Amazon and saw a Shaman do some voodoo potion on a guy that made him vomit and hallucinate.  Not your typical golf trip! :)
'til the Road Hole....

Mike Schott

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
In SE Michigan, try Leslie Park on the north side of Ann Arbor. The first 3 holes are on a flat piece of land then you go under the RR tracks to a nicely rolling parcel for the rest of the front 9. Across the street is the back and once you climb what's known as heart attack hill, 14-17 are on nice land. Overall a fine muni and cheap. Across the river in Windsor, Ontario is Roseland which has reminders of it's Ross roots. This thread started by Mark Saltzman says it's just been restored.   http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=51021.0I'll have to dig up my passport and make a trip this coming spring.

Most know the public tracks near Cleveland. Sleepy Hollow and Manakiki.

There are some other fine muni's in SE Michigan including Eagle Crest in Ypsilanti with some nice risk/reward holes and Timber Trace in Pinckney which is not really SE MI and unfortunately is hard to walk as 12 and 13 are isolated from the rest of the course. They are 2 of the best holes however especially the short par 4 13th.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I played the highest legitimate country club in the world in La Paz, Bolivia.  It was a nice 18 hole track with caddies, pro shop and pool.  The waste area off some of the course was part of the "Valle de la Luna" or Valley of the Moon as you can see in the pic here.
'til the Road Hole....

astavrides

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
.  That weekend I went to catch piranha on the Amazon and saw a Shaman do some voodoo potion on a guy that made him vomit and hallucinate.  Not your typical golf trip! :)

to be fair, a reasonable number of guys' golf trips do involve fishing and/or vomiting.

Tyler Ince

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
astavrides - strong argument you make
'til the Road Hole....

Bill Crane

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »
Other than playing Saranac last summer, have not been on any of these in years so I have no clue of conditions.

Highland Links, Truro Mass-   a true American links, a little raw.

Beuna Vista, Beuna, NJ -  Wm Gordon design in NJ Pine Barrens. 

Club de Golf Cowansville, Quebec, CAN -  was $35 C with pull cart and sleeve of Titleist NXT tour about 7 years ago.

Saranac Inn and Golf, Saranac Lake,NY -  not actually in , or even near Saranac Lake,NY.  1901 Seymour Dunn design.

Locust Valley Golf club, Coopersburg,PA – another Wm Gordon design.  $31 to walk weekday, $20 in winter !!

Bristol Harbor, Canandaiga Lake,NY – awesome views of the lake.  Tough back nine. A little pricey.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »
Other than playing Saranac last summer, have not been on any of these in years so I have no clue of conditions.

Highland Links, Truro Mass-   a true American links, a little raw.

Beuna Vista, Beuna, NJ -  Wm Gordon design in NJ Pine Barrens. 

Club de Golf Cowansville, Quebec, CAN -  was $35 C with pull cart and sleeve of Titleist NXT tour about 7 years ago.

Saranac Inn and Golf, Saranac Lake,NY -  not actually in , or even near Saranac Lake,NY.  1901 Seymour Dunn design.

Locust Valley Golf club, Coopersburg,PA – another Wm Gordon design.  $31 to walk weekday, $20 in winter !!

Bristol Harbor, Canandaiga Lake,NY – awesome views of the lake.  Tough back nine. A little pricey.

Concur on Locust Valley. It's been a few years since I played it but always considered it a very good layout that asked for a lot of good swings in order to get a score out of it. It was private up until the mid to late '80s. When it went public it remained in wonderful shape for a good while and I played it a lot for a 5 year stretch or so. Definitely made me a better golfer and heightened my awareness of good architecture at that time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back