News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: How to explain Golf Club Atlas...
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »
Some years ago I mentioned on this site that my son (ca 20 - age, not handicap!) was thinking of spending a few months in the States. A number of GCA people invited him to stay, to play golf and see the sights. It was the experience of a lifetime for him. I, too, have made the odd trip to the States and invitations to play here or there on wonderful courses have flooded in, so generously.

And I've been delighted to send GCAers out with members of my golf club if I can't be there to host them myself. They must be wonderfully well-balanced to cope with the curmudgeons who are my fellow members!

Bill Crane

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
Why not just refer to it as a "Golf Society" for golfers with a serious interest in G C A?  Skip the internet reference entirely unless there is  time to explain it in depth.

That's the way I describe the Outpost Club although with the O C  I note we have privileges a certain interesting golf clubs.

Wm Flynnfan

Mark McKeever

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
Bill,

Thats how i currently describe it.  I call it a golf architecture society to pretty much everyone.  Depending on their response to that, I go deeper if theyre interested.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
Actually I think from now on I am going to adopt Greg's approach and just tell people I met them through "An internet dating service."  I mean when you boil it all down thats what we are.  Sure we talk about bunkers, angles of play, turf conditions, and such, but think of all the great "dates" we have all gotten through here over the years.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Cory Lewis

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
When I tell my wife that I would like to go to The Thaw Out, Dixie Cup, 5th Major etc.  Her response is always "Oh, you want to go play with your internet friends"  Ouch.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
It gets Really difficult explaining us to a border crossing guard.

Ken Moum

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
I thought I was doing well describing it as a web forum where 1500 golf architecture geeks like me hang out. I may have to try the internet dating service route.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
Gib introduced me to this site after talking about architecture on the first and second holes at Olympic Club. He said I would get it and wrote down the address on the score card. That was along time ago. I have only introduced this site to a few over the years. My normal circles do not lend themselves to guys who appreciate architecture. There are plenty who want to see and play at great courses. But they do not really get as much out of the experience as many on here would. I am not sure how to describe GCA but I know someone who would when I talk to them.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »
I forget the year, 2000, maybe 2001, it was the first King's Putter at Barona Creek. I'd never met anyone, other than here, and I think many of the others were in the same boat. 1st thought I had, people don't look anything like their emails. 2nd thought, how did I get so lucky.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
I forget the year, 2000, maybe 2001, it was the first King's Putter at Barona Creek. I'd never met anyone, other than here, and I think many of the others were in the same boat. 1st thought I had, people don't look anything like their emails. 2nd thought, how did I get so lucky.

Reminds me of watching son David hole a 160-yd bunker shot on #2 at Wolf Point with you and Nuzzo looking on.  The past 12 years of GCA has been nothing but lucky for me!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
Daryl,

As others have stated, you can't explain it.

Bill,

I also hosted Michael and Jed along with many others.
When I play with GCA'ers and others, I'm always asked how I know them, and like you, when I reply, "through the Internet", I also get that dubious look.

First, I think that golfers are a unique breed that bond quickly and that GCA'ers are a unique subset of golfers who also bond quickly.
Common interests tend to do that.

The architectural "get togethers" that I've hosted have accelerated the bonding process as they allow names on an Internet site to meet, share their common interest, and play golf together.

And, when you meet another golf course architecture buff, the common interest almost immediately bonds you.

Greg Holland

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »
As always, it was lots of fun seeing and playing with Turboe.   Afterall, he was my first "date"  :o from this site years ago.  Seriously, I agree with him completely about the folks on this site -- everyone that I have met or corresponded with has been great.  

Daryl was hitting the ball very well I might add.  On the back side, he had a chance for three birdies in a row (though he three jacked it for bogey instead on the 14th), but he came back and ended the round with another birdie.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
Golf discussion board or Internet dating site sound so 90s.  Claim you met them via a smartphone app that matches up golfers with places to play and you might not get as many odd looks from younger people.  Anyone who knows what Airbnb is and doesn't think it's strange would think nothing of inviting some stranger from halfway around the world you know only from GCA to play or stay with you.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »
(though he three jacked it for bogey instead on the 14th)

Thanks for reminding me, I had somehow just managed to remember that my birdie streak ended at two.  I forgot how ingloriously it went down in flames!

Glad you got on here tonight, I was going to email you to make sure that you knew I gave you credit above for the line of the day on the 7th hole.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 03:44:42 AM »
I think the first gca.com guy I ever saw was Rihc.  He wore a beigeish linen suit and I wore....

I think this was perhaps the 3rd Buda (before Buda had a proper name) held at Littlestone/Deal.  I don't recall all the participants, but other than Rihc, The African Animal, Doc Hiseman, Craig Disher and a few of Rihc's mates (one Scottish and the other I can't remember) were there.  It seemed clear at the time that these two chaps were definitely not gca.com brethren - now I understand why.  The next day at Deal Noel Freeman was present - flailing away with the high ball - not a pretty sight.  I recall rain moving in during the back 9 making life not so fun EXCEPT for one incredible moment.  Rihc hit I towering bunker shot (short right on #15?) that was flying comfortably over the green perhaps 15 feet in the air.  The wind hit the ball and it dropped like a stone, but with the spin created the ball zipped to within inches of the cup.  No question this was one of the greatest shots I have seen on person or on tv.  

Anyway, once getting comfortable in the house I think it was Craig (I want it to have been Craig) announces that we still have the afternoon game on tap.  In my my rather innocent way I figured this was a joke until guys descended to the locker room to don the appropriate rags which in any case stood no chance of keeping them dry in what was now monsoon like rain.  I begged off mumbling something about sanity.  I didn't make my way home as of yet because I suspected the heartiness of the few remaining Pests (before they were known as Pests - keep up) would be washed away with their sins.  I think a boozers (one can only hope a few flasks were on hand) loop of three out and two back was accomplished.  It was a close call, but these wing nuts were just about making an impact on the Sanity 0'Meter.  

I wish I could remember more of that first chance encounter with GCA.com folk.  I have had a several more, usually among the English (and Spangles) brethren, but I have had a few run ins in the US.  What stood out most about the difference in dress in the US during the Dixie Cup held at Mid-Pines/Pine Needles/Tobacco Road was (is?) a proclivity for choosing not to wear socks post golf.  I knew then that I was fully converted to UK golf standards.  I also recall receiving a mild rebuke from JakaB for suggesting Tiger Woods was morally bankrupt. That took place in the very odd bar at Pine Needles - its also where I noticed the sans sock issue.  

Anyway, my chaperones for the blind dates are now well used to the idea of meeting complete strangers in golf club bars.  I don't think my wife ever thought meeting crazies from the web was odd - she thinks all golfers are wing nuts and deserve each other.  Be that as it may, I always enjoy games with GCA.com folks.  I am especially thankful for the warm generosity so many on this site show toward strangers.  Just on my last trip back to Detroit I was treated like royalty.  I was also given an incredible opportunity to play a few Chicago courses which in the end I declined, but no matter, it was a gesture that will not soon be forgotten.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:55:36 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tim Martin

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
That is NOTHING. Imagine me explaining to my buddies at the club that the 18 year Australian boy  (Michael Taylor) staying at my house for a week is someone I met on the internet...

Another time I am driving with my FBI agent friend on the way to Saucon Valley, and I tell him we have to stop on the way at a hotel to pick up our fourth: Jed Peters, who had just flown into the area from California. He asks how I met him. When I said on the internet, he almost choked on his coffee and said: "turn around, I need to get my piece!"

Hosting the 18 year old Michael "Pup" Taylor at my club was one of the highlights of the year. He could not have been nicer or more appreciative of the day which ended with pizza at Frank Pepe's in New Haven. The way he comported himself as a young man in a strange country was remarkable and what a pleasure to watch him play. This experience repeats itself over and over with GCA guys and really has added a unique and fulfilling dimension to this great game for me. I have at times struggled to explain GCA to other golfing friends but am long past dwelling on some of the reactions which in brief usually has someone incredulously inquiring " You met these guys on the Internet"? ;D

Bill Brightly

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
Yeah, what's really tough are the comments that I get from my three kids, (ages 20-25.) They CLEARLY remember all the lessons about internet safety that my wife and I pounded into their heads, (including demanding their passwords, etc.) right? And here goes the old man inviting strangers from the internet right into the house! :)

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »
I would have to say that Ran seems to be doing a hell of a good job as a one man admissions committee!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:21:19 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

ward peyronnin

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
I have related the story before of finding myself with Lorne Smith ( 6'4' plus four bearing dashing mustachioed long locked Scot but really English)
in The Cline, Wales locker room when a member asked /commented how the the blokes from all over Gods green earth came to be at Cline that day and Lorne replied we are all involved in an internet chat room. I followed with we were part of the international gay golfer league.

Uncomprehending stares!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Michael George

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »
There is no way to explain golfclubatlas to outsiders.  No matter how much you try, people just don't understand.

That being said, my short description is:

"It is a group of people that love the game of golf and the courses on which it is played and are commonly in search of unique, fun and memorable rounds with others that appreciate and enjoy it just as much as them."

To that end, I am extremely grateful for the friendships that I have made from this site.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:03 PM »

I dont know David, but after reading that explanation I will rescind my comment from earlier that it apparently involves mind altering drugs, and will now state emphatically that it involves mind altering drugs.  That backstory is wild, and too cool. 

I used to really be into Santa when I was little and I never knew he had a place in Spain.  Does he spend most of the year there?  You see over here they taught me that he lived at the North Pole and they never once mentioned Spain, but that makes sense, I mean who would live at the North Pole by choice.  This is opening up a whole new vision for me.

Daryl, if you are interested and in for a good laugh and have 15 minutes on your hands listen to this comedian (American) talk about this Dutch holiday, his facts are pretty well researched actually. Course he exaggerates a bit but it's funny and gives a good depiction of this holiday.

It starts off topic but he gets into it quickly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NYdpte1W0vk

That is one of the funniest things ever, and well worth 15 min of my life, I just didnt have time to listen until tonight.  Now I am more intrigued than ever.  You say he exaggerates "a bit".  Could you elaborate on that?  Does the real story involve the threat of physical violence or kidnapping in a burlap bag for children who have not behaved???   I am still getting a perverted grin over that part?

I must know more...

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
I can still remember the FIRST EVER GCA outing back in '99 or '00 to the Pinehurst area.  My wife was like, "So let me get this straight.  you are fling down to North Carolina to play golf with guys you met over the internet, have never met in person, and are even sharing rooms with them?".  "Yes" of course was the reply...and the rest is history.

Now, when I am meeting-up or playing golf with GCA'rs, my two girls give me the "friends" sign (using their fingers to make the quotes) and I think that matches things pretty well.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
I blame the great Bahto for introducing me to the Treehouse in 1999 - although it was a much smaller and more intimate group in those days. Actually, I was the one who coined the term and cannot remember what moniker we carried in the early going.

At one point, when my thirst for the subject bordered on obsession, I made it a point to introduce golfers like Bernhardt (who I love dearly) to our secret society under the theory (read: delusion) that once an avid golfer discovered the joys of architectural and historical analysis, their enjoyment of the game would ascend to a level of consciousness they could never have conceived.

These days, I do not bother unless someone deliberately presses me on the subject. Trying to explain celestial mechanics to a 4th grader wastes your time and annoys the pig. I guess I'm mixing my metaphors there, but you get the idea.

If forced at gunpoint to discuss our Skull and Bones Society, my stock explanation is to refer to this august group as "an international gathering of intellectuals devoted to a study of golf architecture as an allegory to life."

That will normally buy a blank stare and a follow-up question changing the subject to pussy or football, which is well within the comfort zone of the vast majority of golfers I am forced to endure at CCFAD's, charity outings and even the rare game at Olympic with somebody besides my two best friends.

I'm not sure how we all found each other. Ran conjured up a website and somehow the 1500 people who buy every architecture book slowly converged - either by word of mouth, email or spiritual attraction - to the same tiny corner of cyberspace. I'll be dining with Golf''s Most Beloved Curmudgeon on Monday night; he may have told me the whole story at one point or another, but the particulars are lost in the hazy ether of the fine vino we both quaff with gusto.

Trying to explain to GCA lurkers how Barny got a seat at the end of the bar is a bit more complicated.    
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:45:56 PM by Gib Papazian »

Ben Sims

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
Gib,

I don't remember discussing strange or football at Olympic.  I feel sort of cheated. 

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »
Ben,

There was no need to provide a tortuous explanation of Golf Club Atlas that day because our introduction was through the site. As I recall, our discussions wandered from the particulars of golf design and history to your grand adventures as an aviator.

I just no longer have the patience to play the role of evangelist to uninitiated plebes - that is a fine job for recent converts to our secular religion, most of whom I assume are younger and full of didactic energy.

This wonderful site has introduced me to several dozen friends, some of whom I count as nearly blood relatives without the undesirable tertiary debris. By the time I formally meet a fellow poster for a game or dinner, we both know it is going to be an orgy of architectural nymphomania and anybody who tees it up - or sits at the table - better be prepared for a barrage.

Before my frequent disappearances (forced by circumstance, I assure you), it was not unusual to attend or host several formal (or informal) GCA gatherings a year. There always seemed to be one or two neophytes brought along who sat quietly amidst the squabbling and pontificating in a state of confused boredom. It is a bit like a bunch of filmmakers talking shop about digital sensors and T-Stop speeds in front of the guy who takes pictures with a disposable camera.

At a gathering that includes the Cosa Nostra, you are either introduced as "a friend of mine (outsider)," or "a friend of ours (insider)." There is little point in trying to indoctrinate a completely disoriented newbie on the particulars of a Cape Hole. If their interest is piqued, I lend them a couple of books to get them started and leave it be. 99% are not interested in reading up as they play the game for fresh air and to maybe best their career round.

Had we spent the day discussing pussy and football, you could have surmised that I considered you a "friend of mine."

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:54:13 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back