News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Dating from passage of the 1974 parliamentary act establishing the St Andrews Links Trust. This timeline's focus is not the changes themselves but governance and process: announcements, decisions, etc.

Please make corrections and additions as you find them in your research. Thus far the research team has worked back to 2002—contemporary news accounts of actors and processes involving changes to the Eden course would be appreciated.

** In October 2002 Golf World quoted Peter Dawson in a report that the Links Trust and R&A were considering adding new tees. Dawson declined to specify the holes or the location for the tees “because the changes still need final approval by the R&A and the St Andrews Links Trust” and because some changes would alter holes on other courses.

“A couple of them are slightly controversial in that they involve encroaching onto adjacent courses, so I don’t want to name them all,” Dawson said.

Dawson declined to move bunkers or build new ones because bunkers remained hazards for average players, he said.

** On December 4, 2002, the Guardian reported the Road Hole bunker had been “drastically and dramatically” changed. The Links Trust had changed the size, shape, and location of the Road bunker to make playing out easier. There was no public announcement prior to the change.

“We did not ask for these changes and it is evident that they have altered the nature of the hole,” Peter Dawson said. “I'm not sure that anyone likes it very much; the changes have been noted and we will be in discussion about them. We will be walking the course next week to look at many things and I'm sure this work will be reviewed.”

** December 6, 2002: The Guardian reported the Road Hole bunker would be restored to it previous location and characteristics. The Links Trust’s spokesman said a decision on bunker depth would not be made until January but when that decision was made, it  was likely to be “rubber-stamped when approved by the Royal and Ancient.”

Peter Dawson was reported in the article to be pleased with the reversion.

** On June 4, 2004, the Links Trust submitted to Fife Council Planning a request to “extend golf practice area, including 14 covered practice bays, additional reception area and replacement floodlights.” The area in question is located within the St Andrews Links, an area listed in Historic Scotland’s Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. On September 10, 2004, after a “standard” consultation period, the Links Trust’s submission is permitted (with conditions).

** On July 10, 2004, the Links Trust issued a press release on upcoming changes to the Road Hole bunker. The key change, extending the bunker to the west, was “requested by the R&A.”

** In June 2009 the Links Trust announced changes to the Jubilee Course. The plans were posted in the Links Clubhouse for a two-week period. Additionally, the head greenskeeper hosted open meetings on four separate days to discuss changes.

** On the afternoon of Friday, October 16, 2009, a press release revealed that in coming months a new tee on 17 would be built specifically for the 2010 Open. A quote from chief executive of the Links Trust named the R&A as the decision maker: “We have spent some time discussing this with The R&A and I know they have carefully considered making this change for The Open Championship,” said Alan McGregor, chief executive of St Andrews Links Trust.  

** On the afternoon of Friday, November 23, 2012, the day after the American Thanksgiving holiday, the Links Trust announced changes to The Old Course would begin that winter on four holes, followed in Winter 2013-14 with a second phase to change five holes. "The [R&A] Championship Committee felt there was an opportunity to stiffen its defences in some places to ensure it remains as challenging as ever to the professionals," Dawson said.

** On the morning of Monday, November 26, 2012, work began.

** On November 28, 2012, Peter Dawson, appearing in Orlando, FL, announced a ban on anchoring—subject to final approval by the USGA and R&A. The final rule, if passed, would take effect in three years.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:59:54 PM by Mark Bourgeois »
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

Re: An incomplete timeline involving decisions to modify St Andrews courses
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
Mark - I feel almost silly offering this up, since I'm almost certain that you already have/know about this and/or that you don't need it at all. At any rate, the link is to the St A's Trust 2010 Annual Report; the appendix details governance structures.

http://standrews.org.uk/getmedia/d9b25d62-e44d-4b01-9c58-df4c1113ea99/Annual-Report-2010-V9.aspx

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
Excellent! Thank you, Peter, and keep 'em coming.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
Mark - my guess if that you've forgotten more about governance issues/structures than I'll ever know, so, again, I have no idea if this is what you might find interesting/useful; in that annual report is the following (not in the appendix) - I found the last line interesting, in that I assume those who handle the purse strings also have a say in how that money is spent.

The Links Act states that Trustees ‘shall hold and maintain the Links as a public park and place of public resort and recreation for the residents of the town of St Andrews and others resorting thereto’. The Act also gives Trustees the power to build and operate clubhouses and other facilities servicing the courses.

In pursuit of this objective the Trust and its wholly-owned companies operate six 18-hole and one 9-hole golf courses, three public clubhouses, the Golf Practice Centre and Academy, together with substantial retail and catering operations within St Andrews. All of the Trust’s facilities are open to the public. The Trust’s intellectual properties are utilised by a wholly-owned company, St Andrews Links Limited, to generate licensing income. Any profits earned by the companies are remitted to the Trust under Gift Aid arrangements, enabling the Trustees to apply these profits to the further development and improvement of the Links.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Peter, thanks for that. I'll try to get the relevant info into the timeline tonight.

Meanwhile, I have added to the timeline:

** On June 4, 2004, the Links Trust submitted to Fife Council Planning a request to “extend golf practice area, including 14 covered practice bays, additional reception area and replacement floodlights.” The area in question is located within the St Andrews Links, an area listed in Historic Scotland’s Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. On September 10, 2004, after a “standard” consultation period, the Links Trust’s submission is permitted (with conditions).

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »
Good stuff, Mark.  Extend that back to 1840 or so and you will have a winner!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
Are you building a timeline of public governance prior to the 1974 Act, Rich? That would be a nifty piece of political history -- have at it!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »
Are you building a timeline of public governance prior to the 1974 Act, Rich? That would be a nifty piece of political history -- have at it!

No way, Jose!

But, why do it when Tom Jarrett and Scott McPherson have already done the heavy lifting?

IMO, What happened 1974-today is pretty much irrelevant to the seemingly underlying issue of the eternal sancticty of the Old Course.  Hell, I was there golfing my ball in 1978, and the place seemed relatively unholy to me then, and I've lived within 40 miles of the place most of the time since then.  What have I missed?

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:20 PM »
Rich, it's a LT / RA *governance* timeline, not a timeline of changes. You know, the stuff we skip over in club histories on our way to the good stuff about...who won the 1947 mixed foursomes.  ;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »
Rich - fwiw, from day one on this issue, I've felt that approaching/debating the changes on the basis of the Old Course's "eternal sancity" was, while understandable, not the most useful or productive approach -- either in the short term or, more significantly, in the long term. I didn't explain myself/my position well, or maybe my position isn't worth defending. But Mark's approach here -- and I don't know for certain its intent -- strikes me as the better way, i.e. getting to the heart of who has ultimate authority regarding changes, and how this authority is/was/should be granted and used, and opening this up for widespread discussion.

Peter

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »
Mark - I feel almost silly offering this up, since I'm almost certain that you already have/know about this and/or that you don't need it at all. At any rate, the link is to the St A's Trust 2010 Annual Report; the appendix details governance structures.

http://standrews.org.uk/getmedia/d9b25d62-e44d-4b01-9c58-df4c1113ea99/Annual-Report-2010-V9.aspx

Peter

Excellent link. Page 8 makes interesting reading overall but particularly the following passage, I'll leave it to others to see what can be found in the minutes;

"The Management Team reports to the Trustees and
Links Management Committee at regular formal
meetings, the minutes of which are made available to
the public. Several sub-committees and working parties
exist to facilitate more detailed consideration of key
aspects of the Trust’s operations."

However perhaps the most interesting page is page 27 which shows the R&A being ahead of those old fogies at Augusta National by a couple of years  ;)

Niall  

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
Rich, it's a LT / RA *governance* timeline, not a timeline of changes. You know, the stuff we skip over in club histories on our way to the good stuff about...who won the 1947 mixed foursomes.  ;D

OK, Marco, but don't forget 1893-94 when the R&A owned the links. :)
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
Rich - fwiw, from day one on this issue, I've felt that approaching/debating the changes on the basis of the Old Course's "eternal sancity" was, while understandable, not the most useful or productive approach -- either in the short term or, more significantly, in the long term. I didn't explain myself/my position well, or maybe my position isn't worth defending. But Mark's approach here -- and I don't know for certain its intent -- strikes me as the better way, i.e. getting to the heart of who has ultimate authority regarding changes, and how this authority is/was/should be granted and used, and opening this up for widespread discussion.

Peter

Well said, Peter.  I think I've posted elsewere on this forum a rough history of the ownership of the Old Course, but what with trying to keep Pat Mucci straight regarding NCAA football history and its future and the fact that Celtic is playing Shaktar Donetsk tonight for the right to move forward in the Champions League and the fact that Josie just took my car because her battery was dead, what it is you want to know, again.........
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back