News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Is Cabot Links 'Great'?
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
Our friend Tom Dunne tries to answer this tough question, with an assist from Lloyd Cole:

http://www.linksmagazine.com/best_of_golf/cabot-links-links100-new-arrival

Jud_T

Re: Is Cabot Links 'Great'?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for posting.  Pretty interesting discussion.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
Tom Dunne is proof that "Travel Editor" is not a dirty word.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
In the last five lines, we get this Friday News Dump:

(The par-three 12th, for example, is already in the process of being replaced with a new hole that gets closer to the water.)

Yawn...WHAT!?!?

In the first year, a hole is already facing eviction, foreclosure, erasure? Does anyone of this august assemblage have a bit more information on this maneuver, other than "gets closer to the water"?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
In the last five lines, we get this Friday News Dump:

(The par-three 12th, for example, is already in the process of being replaced with a new hole that gets closer to the water.)

Yawn...WHAT!?!?

In the first year, a hole is already facing eviction, foreclosure, erasure? Does anyone of this august assemblage have a bit more information on this maneuver, other than "gets closer to the water"?

Stan,
I believe there were permitting issues on the oceanfront,and they didn't want to wait, so they built an alternate(there was room).
I birdied the alternate both days so of course it's NLE
The other hole was turfed and nearly ready when I was there in August
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:18:26 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
I birdied the alternate both days so of course it's NLE.

Jeff,

That is a classic utterance.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
I love how honest he is with his feelings. WTG Tom.

I'm impressed with how objective he tries to be. Most will probably consider it great, and that consensus will carry the day.

Since I've been there but haven't played it, I cannot speak to it's playing characteristics. But, if repeated plays are required to figure her out, she's well on her way to deserving the moniker.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
How long are the forced carries on 2, 4, 13 and 15?

As an increasingly short hitter off the tee, that makes me a bit nervous!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »

2 plays into the wind. From the back tee the carry is some massive number. From the 6400 yard tees I would guess about 170.

4 is downwind and a fairly short carry. Maybe 160 or 170 yards.

13 is short but deceptive. Going left makes the carry get long very fast.

15 is also short but maybe the most intimidating visually.

You aren't playing Cabot with just a putter, but I certainly wasn't hung up on the forced carries.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »

When there in September, I played from the middle tees and had no trouble clearing any of the problems on those holes. I am happy when I can hit it 250 off the tee. With six tees on each hole, there should be no problem for any golfer as long as they judge their ability properly.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »
If you please, could someone post photos of the original 12th and the new 12th, perhaps as a new thread? I wonder if this will be like taking points off the board in american football.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
Well, the article about it was great.  Really, the dialogue between Tom and Lloyd was a step or two above most of what we read about golf architecture ... and three steps above most of what's posted here!  ;)

Mike Policano

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »
Tom Dunne,

Very cleverly written article. You keep raising the bar.

The 12th at Cabot.

It is my understanding that the land for the new 12th was owned by a separate entity that didn't agree to sell it until the course was ready to open.  At that time, the land was acquired by Cabot and work on the new 12th began. The new 12th greatly improves the routing as the walk from the original 12th to the 13th was not the best.  All in all, the new 12th should be well received.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
Bill,

The forced carries are daunting if you play the tips at 6800 yards, still a challenge at 6400 yards, but quite doable at 6000 yards.  The 2nd was no big issue from an appropriate tee.  The 4th is visually intimidating because it is blind uphill.  The 13th is intimidating because there was eye high fescue directly in front of the tee.  The 15th is also intimidating because you are down low on the tee.  In all cases a foozled drive would be a lost ball.

Ron,

The 12th runs left to right down in front of the barn in the distance in this picture looking back down the 9th fairway.  The barn, and the new 12th, was on property that Ben had just acquired.  The barn is gone now.  The new 12th is located closer to where the barn was and further toward the gulf.

The original was a short slightly uphill hole to an interesting green.

The new hole is slightly downhill with more interesting broken ground in the foreground and much better views of the gulf.  I think it will be longer too, but I'm not sure.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 11:45:11 AM »

When there in September, I played from the middle tees and had no trouble clearing any of the problems on those holes. I am happy when I can hit it 250 off the tee. With six tees on each hole, there should be no problem for any golfer as long as they judge their ability properly.

Let me clarify.  I seldom carry much over 200 these days, one of the reasons I love F&F links courses!  How will those carries affect me?

Thanks for the replies above.  Looks manageable and can't wait to see it. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:47:31 AM by Bill_McBride »

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
The new 12th looks much more visually pleasing. I think the course needed this new hole, because from what I have seen in pics many of the par 3's look a little visually dull (in comparison to the other holes).
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Don Hyslop

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »

Let me clarify.  I seldom carry much over 200 these days, one of the reasons I love F&F links courses!  How will those carries affect me?

Thanks for the replies above.  Looks manageable and can't wait to see it. 
Bill, I believe all of the holes that have forced carries have a forward tee that avoids them being an issue, several if not all the shortest tees avoid the forced carry all together.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
Are you guys great or what? Thanks for the prompt reply and most excellent photo tour.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
Okay.  Here's where the rubber meets the road.   Or, as a futurist friend once said, here's where the rubber meets the sky!

Who's in for a group visit next August?

Say two days at Cabot Links followed by two rounds at Highland Links ollowed by a day at Cabot Links?

Send me a note.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back