News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cris Rubio

« on: November 28, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
Greetings!

My name is Cristopher Rubio from Houston, Texas, originally from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. 

I am the Assistant Golf Professional at La Torretta Lake Resort and Spa and extremely proud to be part of Golf Club Atlas. 

I may be the Junior of the bunch at 27 years old, so any advice and knowledge will be accepted! 

Happy Holidays!

Cristopher

Joe Bausch

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Welcome Cris.

If one was to visit the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico, what course(s) do you recommend seeing?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Cris Rubio

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
Hello Joe,

You will have many choices, but since we all have favorites, I would recommend El Tigre which is just outside of Puerto Vallarta in Paradise Village.  Great 18 hole facility with live tigers, as well as a zoo! I am usually at El Tigre when in Puerto Vallarta.  Another golf club is in Punta de Mita, they have 36 holes and is definitely worth the the 30 minute drive along the coast.

If you stay more in the heart of Puerto Vallarta, you look into playing Marina Vallarta and Vista Vallarta Club de golf. 

Of course there is more golf in Puerto Vallarta but these are on my recommended list.

Stephen Britton

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »
Hell of a time to join  ;D

Welcome.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:11:09 PM »
Chris:

I think you're going to find this group is a bit younger than you might have expected.  And unless Michael Taylor has left the forum, you're  nowhere near being the youngest.

Welcome,

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
Welcome Cris!

There are quite a few younger guys, myself included, and at the very least fewer retirees than you might expect  ;).

I played in Puerto Vallarta 6-7 years ago at what I believe was Vista Vallarta Golf Club. I may be wrong, but it was the one with many lagoons and a beachside par 3 on the back 9.

Have you plaed elsewhere in Mexico too? Are there other hotbeds or highlights outside of Cabo?

Cris Rubio

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
Thanks Alex!

It could of been Marina Vallarta, I remember they have a cute par 3 alongside the ocean.

I havent had the chance to travel outside of Puerto Vallarta, but I plan on it.

Cris Rubio

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »
 :D Thanks Sven!

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
Welcome Cris!

Hopefully you hit it longer than Sam Morrow (one of the few people on earth that hit it shorter than me).  Why did you move to Houston and what do you think of the courses there?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
Welcome to Houston and to GCA
I've never heard of La Torretta
Please tell us a little about the course and how you play there
Cheers & fellow Houstonian
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Welcome Cris!

Hopefully you hit it longer than Sam Morrow (one of the few people on earth that hit it shorter than me). 

Jason, you've obviously disremembered playing with me!

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
Welcome Cris!
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
Welcome, haven't played it since the renovation, but Del Lago was always one of my favorites in town.

Cris Rubio

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »
Hello Jason,

I moved to Houston from San Francisco in 2001, familiy reasons, and been here every since.  The weather was not easy to adapt to, but proud to call myself a Houstonian now.

I really enjoy the golf courses Houston has to offer, I can still find a hidden gem every so often.  With around 168 golf courses in Houston, and about 1040 golf courses total in Texas, I believe there a course for everyone.

Cris Rubio

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
Hello Mr. Nuzzo,

Thanks for having me.  Well La Torretta Lake Resort and Spa was orginally a design by Dave Marr and Jay Riviere, when it was most commonly known as La Torretta Del Lago.  Since then it has been redesigned by Mr. Jeff Blume  and reopened I believe in 2008.  The course plays narrow but fair.  The holes are seperated by mature pine trees that frame the golf holes. 

I recommend if you are ever in Houston to come play.  It would be my pleasure to show you the golf course.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »

The course plays narrow but fair.  The holes are seperated by mature pine trees that frame the golf holes. 

Welcome Chris,
Let me edit that for you since you're a newbie. ;) ;) That's 4 GCA cursewords in 2 sentences.
"The course provides multiple options and preferred angles and plays quite firm and fast"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 01:07:48 AM »
You are welcome and thank you Cris.
Jeff is now also a poster, maybe he'll chime in too.
I am a Houstonian, so thank you for the invitation.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff Blume

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »
Cris,

As a fellow newbie I guess we should welcome each other to the site.  I spoke with Rick the other day on the golf course and was glad to hear you were at La Torretta.  Congrats!  Rick and I will have to come up sometime and play a round with you and Bob.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
Hi Cris,

Great to see you here and welcome to GCA.com! I presume you had a good trip back from Copenhagen.  "Your" hickories are hibernating at 2°C outside and waiting for you to come back to Europe next summer!
Will have that driving-iron fixed again soon....

Greetings from Hamburg,

Christoph
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Cris Rubio

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Cris,

As a fellow newbie I guess we should welcome each other to the site.  I spoke with Rick the other day on the golf course and was glad to hear you were at La Torretta.  Congrats!  Rick and I will have to come up sometime and play a round with you and Bob.

Thank Mr. Blume, it has been a great experience so far!  With the busy schedule I have yet to play the coure, but what better way to break the ice with the architect himself.  I look forward to it Mr. Blume.

Jeff Blume

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
Cris,

If you want to play with Mr. Blume I will call my father or grandfather and see if they are available.  Please just call me Jeff  ;D.  I look forward to it maybe sometime over the holidays.

Cris Rubio

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »
Greetings Cristoph,

Thanks for having me!

It was a bitter sweet departure from Denmark, Europe in general, but please do keep the hickories warm for me because I do plan on participating in the Danish Open in the near future.

The hickory tournaments are great events for the game of golf.

It is now obvious to me I was born in the wrong era!

Skol,

Cris

Hi Cris,

Great to see you here and welcome to GCA.com! I presume you had a good trip back from Copenhagen.  "Your" hickories are hibernating at 2°C outside and waiting for you to come back to Europe next summer!

Greetings from Hamburg,

Hi Cris,

Great to see you here and welcome to GCA.com! I presume you had a good trip back from Copenhagen.  "Your" hickories are hibernating at 2°C outside and waiting for you to come back to Europe next summer!

Greetings from Hamburg,

Christoph

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
Welcome Cris!

Hopefully you hit it longer than Sam Morrow (one of the few people on earth that hit it shorter than me).  Why did you move to Houston and what do you think of the courses there?

I just noticed that Topp took a shot at me. :o

Christoph Meister

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
Hi Cris,

here is a little souvenir photo from Denmark....

all the best,

Christoph

Greetings Cristoph,

Thanks for having me!

It was a bitter sweet departure from Denmark, Europe in general, but please do keep the hickories warm for me because I do plan on participating in the Danish Open in the near future.

The hickory tournaments are great events for the game of golf.

It is now obvious to me I was born in the wrong era!

Skol,

Cris

Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
Hey Cris,
Welcome.  Another member under 30, love it.  Glad I'm not the only one, although there probably are more here than I would think.  Did you work in the golf business while living in San Francisco?  I live in the Bay Area and am an assistant at a club in San Jose.  Hope you enjoy the site.

Keith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back