News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

SentryWorld to close for a year for reno work.
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
News for Midwest guys. SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Wisc., will be closed during the 2013 season and reopen in 2014. The course is a RTJ Jr. design that opened in the early '80s.

The course is ranked No. 7 on GD's Wisconsin list. It is not listed among the best public courses in the state by GW.

I played here once decades ago, but never since. Because of that, I don't have any real opinions on the course. Though, the fact that it is about 3 hrs, 45 minutes from my house and I haven't been there as an adult says something. For sake of perspective, it is located about 90 minutes northwest of Lawsonia.

The story (linked below) says that: "The renovations will include new sand in the sand traps and grass on the greens, but some holes also will be changed."

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20121115/CWS03/311150327/SentryWorld-Golf-Course-redesign-set?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Rick Shefchik

Re: SentryWorld to close for a year for reno work.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
Thirty years ago people kept telling me I should go play Sentry World. I never did. I stopped hearing that advice about 20 years ago. I guess this was inevitable.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »
I heard that Jay Blasi (Chambers Bay - The Patriot) who is former associate of Jones is going to be the lead guy.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
It is on a nice sandy base, so shaping and contouring should be easy enough.  I haven't played it in years.  I have played in outings there and it is OK, nothing special but stout enough to offer a commercial round of golf.  There is room to do things there, and it will probably be down to the creativity and budget of the remodelling archie.  If it is Jay Blasi, I'm sure the WI native will give it full attention. 

Of course it has always been known for the damn flower bed hazards....  ::)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
I played it once about 15 years ago....in the rain. Broke 80 which at the time was an achievement for me. That course was hyped like few others in the state during the 80s, but it fell somewhat out of favor. I liked the course but it definitely isn't aging well. An absolute product of its time, for sure. But it had some good holes. I liked the par fives and #17 and #18. Unfortunately the flower hole is the one people remember, but it is a simple, boring par 3 without much going on architecturally.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
Brad Klein wrote this piece a few days ago: http://mobile.golfweek.com/news/2012/nov/24/klein-final-round-sentryworld-now/

Will they be removing any trees in the process? I remember it being very demanding off the tee.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
#savesentryworld!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff Shelman

Re: SentryWorld to close for a year for reno work -- update for 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 03:43:36 PM »
Was at the Minnesota Golf Show today and the folks from SentryWorld had a booth.

They said they are going to open again in August. They had a flyover video from last fall after some of the new grass had grown in.

There is some info on the new course here: https://www.sentryworld.com/blog/article/sentryworld-course-map-unveiled

It appears that about half of the holes are new or greatly reconfigured.

I have no idea if it will be any good or what the new rates will be, but they moving toward reopening.

J_ Crisham

Re: SentryWorld to close for a year for reno work -- update for 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Was at the Minnesota Golf Show today and the folks from SentryWorld had a booth.

They said they are going to open again in August. They had a flyover video from last fall after some of the new grass had grown in.

There is some info on the new course here: https://www.sentryworld.com/blog/article/sentryworld-course-map-unveiled

It appears that about half of the holes are new or greatly reconfigured.

I have no idea if it will be any good or what the new rates will be, but they moving toward reopening.
Jeff, I am having dinner with Jay Blasi next Saturday in Chicago . I will find out questions to your answers and post whatever Jay deems appropriate.                                  jack

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:06 AM »
Wow, I'm shocked at how different the routing is now. I just assumed it would be more or less the same with some holes redone, but this is really different. The first 2-3 holes on each nine have been flipped; the new #10 has completely swallowed up the old #1 and #2 and one of the water par-3s is completely gone. They've also eliminated the water carry on #17. I wonder if they were trying to take some of the forced carries out of play.

I'm glad the hideous 90 degree dogleg hole with the water on the outside was changed; that was always a strange hole.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back