News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Vail Vacation - Which courses should I play?
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2003, 12:20:14 PM »
Adam:

Get real man!

I don't doubt you can say Wild Horse is "in the neighborhood" but it's a solid four to five hour drive from most points in the Denver region. While you're at it you might as well say try a drive to Mesquite, NV and Play Wolf Creek or better yet just a bit further and head to Moorpark, CA and play Rustic Canyon. ;D For die hard golf addicts like you and I that would be nothing more than a simple day trip! ;D

I think for the value you can't beat Redlands Mesa and Devil's Thumb as a first rate twosome. I agree fully with Doug that many of the mountain area courses in and around Vail are looking to put their hand in your pocket in a major way and the offerings are a bit on the lite side.

Like I said before I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about Grand Elk in Granby -- the facility was offering a full day rate of play for $95 last I heard. You also have the revamped Sol Vista and I've been told it's not a bad alternative either.

SBJ:

If you do decide to play Eagle Ranch I'd be interested in hearing your comments. Lots of people I know have been surprised by the quality of the Palmer design.

SBJ

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2003, 01:26:21 PM »
Adam:

Get real man!

I don't doubt you can say Wild Horse is "in the neighborhood" but it's a solid four to five hour drive from most points in the Denver region. While you're at it you might as well say try a drive to Mesquite, NV and Play Wolf Creek or better yet just a bit further and head to Moorpark, CA and play Rustic Canyon. ;D For die hard golf addicts like you and I that would be nothing more than a simple day trip! ;D

I think for the value you can't beat Redlands Mesa and Devil's Thumb as a first rate twosome. I agree fully with Doug that many of the mountain area courses in and around Vail are looking to put their hand in your pocket in a major way and the offerings are a bit on the lite side.

Like I said before I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about Grand Elk in Granby -- the facility was offering a full day rate of play for $95 last I heard. You also have the revamped Sol Vista and I've been told it's not a bad alternative either.

SBJ:

If you do decide to play Eagle Ranch I'd be interested in hearing your comments. Lots of people I know have been surprised by the quality of the Palmer design.

Will do, Matt ... it's close and sounds like one of the better options.

SBJ

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2003, 01:33:42 PM »
Thanks to all who have responded to my Vail Golf Question. I really do appreciate the advice and opinions. With so many options and such a huge disparity between costs I wanted to make sure I played a few quality courses.

Without all your input, I'd have made a serious mistake or two. Early on I'd planned on the Red Sky Norman course and probably the Vail course due to the location ... would have avoided Beaver Creek for sure.

Now, Eagle Vail and Breckenridge lead my choices with a third round at either Cordillera Norman / Raven / Beaver Creek. I'll probably take the boys to the par 3 course a couple afternoons and perhaps the Breckenridge course once.

We leave Monday ... I truly appreciate all your responses.

Thanks!

SBJ

PS... I'll be drinkin' lots of juice and water as well!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2003, 03:35:04 PM »
Matt Ward- I believe in the original post,SBJ mentioned he had time in the Denver area. My suggestion to drive for 8 hours to play for 8 hours is saved for only the worthiest, so, if you don't mind, i will keep my opinoins and not care to denegrate others for theirs.

Plus, Anyone who is into gca, and has not been to Wild Horse or Mullen and is in the denver area, would be quite remiss NOT to make the trek.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 03:37:29 PM by A_Clay_Man »

Doug Wright

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2003, 05:15:00 PM »
SBJ,

I hope that was a tyop in your last post... Do NOT confuse Eagle-Vail with Eagle RANCH! As I mentioned, Eagle-Vail (located in Eagle-Vail) is a very poor course, albeit with a separate par 3 course that is quite good. Eagle RANCH (located down valley in the town of Eagle) is a new Palmer course that Matt Ward says is worth a visit.

Also, I didn't mention Denver public courses. Two I'd try are Riverdale Dunes as mentioned by Adam Clayman, a Pete Dye course north of town with some excellent holes (again, don't be confused--there's an adjacent course called Riverdale Knolls that's bad) , and Golf Club at Bear Dance, a new course south of Castle Rock that has received excellent reviews (I haven't played it yet).

Enjoy!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2003, 06:30:12 PM »
Adam --

Take a chill my friend.

The reality is that when people are traveling and they have people in tow (kids) the ability to venture quite far from their home base (vacation area) is kind of difficult -- just ask my wife for starts! ;D

There's no doubt that seeing / playing Sand Hills and Wild Horse are well worth one's time, but for people who don't habitually drive long distances that can be a tall order PARTICULARLY when time is short and other people are involved (i.e. family).

SBJ

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2003, 11:45:35 PM »
Well ... again ... thanks for all the information on the courses. Now, for the bad news.

Monday afternoon, 10 hours on the road and just 20 minutes east of Vail on I-70 we received "the" phone call. My wife's grandmother had suffered an unexpected stroke, was in a coma and they didn't expect her to live. (Five hours later she passed.)

With a suburban full of kids, clubs, poles, and a week's worth of everything we thought we'd need but didn't ... our 7 night stay turned into a 16-hour stay. Short of dinner at The Tyrolean and lunch at Pepi's and one night at the Mountain Haus we were unable to stay and play.

Left Tuesday at noon and drove another 12 hours to be with family and attend this morning's funeral.

Again, to each and every one who offered up their knowledge, advice, opinions, and suggestions ... "THANKS!" Hopefully we'll get to use your kind offerings in August.

Greg

SBJ

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2003, 11:57:43 PM »
Doug / Matt ...

Last summer I played a RTJ course in the Denver area, Arrowhead I believe. While the course condition and much of the course itself left much to be desired, I must say, there are a string of 3 or 4 holes cut out of / playing through the Red Rocks that may be some of the most beautiful holes I've viewed (if memory serves me correct ... 14-17ish). The holes weren't spectacular, but the surroundings were incredible.

sbj

Doug Wright

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2003, 05:40:48 PM »
Greg,

Yes you're talking about Arrowhead, an RTJ II course in the foothills SW of Denver. The course flows around incredible red rocks and is long on aesthetics and short on design content IMO, not to mention the perpetual conditioning problems there and longtime mismanagement by American Golf...

The drop shot par 3 13th is very cool, and the course is worth a visit for the WOW! factor--once.

PS I sent you a reply to your private message.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back