News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Spring Get Together / Forsgate CC / June 19
« on: May 18, 2003, 12:15:23 PM »
Hello All:

To all golf course architecture devotees The Jersey Golfer's Spring Invitational will be held:

Thursday, June 19  / Forsgate Country Club
18 holes played on The Charles Banks Course
The private club is rated among the state's top
ten by The Jersey Golfer
Jamesburg, NJ / Exit 8A off the NJ Tpke

THE CRITICAL DETAILS ...

A G E N D A

9:00 AM -- Arrival at Forsgate / Continental Breakfast provided.

9:30 AM -- Start of Program (speakers to be announced shortly / there will also be a short intro by representatives from Forsgate on the history of the club). For those who may not know Banks learned about golf course architecure through the likes of Charles Blair Macdonald and Seth Raynor and his Banks Course is one of his premier designs.

11:30 AM -- Buffet Lunch

12:30 PM -- Warm-up at Practice Area

1:15 PM -- Gather at clubhouse for final instructions prior to shotgun start

1:30 PM -- Play 18 holes on the Charles Banks Course

6:30 PM -- Cocktails and Awarding of Golf Prizes (locker rooms & showers will be available)

Total cost -- $100 per player.

You must send a check to ensure a spot. Ideally, the field will be limited to the first 48 confirmed players, but may expand if interest warrants. No more than 72 players will be accepted in order to ensure optimum playing conditions.

Please make out check to: Matt Ward

Forward to: Editor-in-Chief / The Jersey Golfer, 5 Hilton Street, Clifton, NJ 07011-2226  

ALL CHECKS NEED TO ARRIVE NO LATER
THAN FRIDAY, JUNE 13.

Since the field is limited plase realize it may sell-out early. SEND IN YOUR CHECKS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. No e-mail or phone call messages suggesting you will be coming are acceptable.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND ALL FEES ARE 100% NON-REFUNDABLE. We do have a rain date (June 26) if that's needed but no money will be refunded. Once you're in -- you're in!

If anyone needs info on hotels immediately near Forsgate that info can be forwarded once payment has been received. Please indicate accordingly.

The folks at Forsgate are most excited in hosting such an event for golf media and course raters from the major golf publications and those who enjoy high quality golf course architecture. If anyone should have any questions / comments please let me know.

Until then -- all the best and good golfing ...

matt

P.S. Please realize your attendance for the full program is most appreciated. Anyone just showing up for the golf portion will be robbing themselves of the opportunity to fully appreciate the details that have gone into making the Spring Golf Invitational a real success.

Three last things -- if anyone has any thoughts on suggested speakers please advise. We are in discussion with a few but any ideas are most welcomed and appreciated.

If you wish to be specifically paired with someone please let me know when you forward your check and also indicate your approximate handicap.

Finally, for those who remember the Alpine get together held last January once checks are received the names will be posted on GCA to indicate those who are "confirmed."

Adios for now ... ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Matt_Ward

Re: Spring Get Together / Forsgate CC / June 19
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 08:27:33 AM »
Someone asked me offline the particulars on The Banks Course and from memory I can say with some sort of clarity that the course maxes out to just under 6,700 yards and is a par-71.

In all senses -- the course is a pure classic style course and far from the 7,000++++ courses you see today.

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 08:42:18 AM »
wait a second. Matt, this course is 6700 from the tips and you like it?

i'm trying to be there.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 04:19:23 PM »
SPDB:

If you really knew me you'd know I take a very pragmatic position regarding the rating of courses and my tastes in design styles is quite varied and not so easily relegated to just one flavor. To simply assume that only L-O-N-G courses interest me would be a major mistake.

The virtues of the Banks Course at Forsgate will become self evident to those who play June 19. The course has a wide variety of holes and the crux of the layout is the creativity displayed by Banks in the style of the bunkers and clearly the individual putting surfaces.

I hope you and others can make it. ;)

Tim Taylor

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 06:54:53 PM »
Well I hate to be a spoil sport but I'm praying for rain because I can make the 26th but not the 19th! Goddamn job interfering with my golf.

TimT

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 09:10:38 AM »
Darn, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this.  I don't think I can spend 12 days out east to attend both Forsgate and Seth Raynor events.  Now, I have to make Sophies Choice and pick one... :'(
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 09:16:42 AM »
Matt:
Great job on arranging this outing.  I wish I could be in attendance.  However I am working as an official at the Northeast Amateur, being played at Wannamoissett, on June 19 and 20.  
Hope everyonehas a great time.
Cheers,
Dave

ferkauf

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 10:10:06 AM »
RJ , I was wondering the details of the seth raynor events you referred to in your post. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 01:56:21 PM »
ferkauf,

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/YaBB.cgi?board=GD1&action=display&num=1051926419

The above link should give you details of SR event.  There is a link there to the webpage for the SR society.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 03:38:58 PM »
Tomorrow, I'll post a brief hole-by-hole description of the Banks Course. Lots of character in the layout and it's a testament to Charles Banks that the present ownership has decided to keep the course in tip top shape.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 05:04:44 PM »
RJ -
Have you ever been to Newport?
You go to NJ, and have the Mrs. meet you for a weekend in RI.  She'll love it.  Then go to the Raynor gig.  
Who says you can't have everything?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 05:31:29 PM »
RJ -
Have you ever been to Newport?
You go to NJ, and have the Mrs. meet you for a weekend in RI.  She'll love it.  Then go to the Raynor gig.  
Who says you can't have everything?
Cheers

RJ,

Mike is right. I got engaged at The Inn at Castle Hill in Newport, and the marriage is still working despite all the golf. I am looking forward to Matt's outing, but if you are bringing your wife, you can play all day and she will be very happy in Newport :D.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 05:13:32 PM »
There off and running ...

Confirmed placements include the following:

John Filmyer
Steve Sayers
Mike Sweeney
Matt Ward

With each check received an updated post will take place. Please provide your golf handicap info when you send in your materials. Thanks!

If anyone has suggestions for speakers please contact me. A few are being contacted now to ascertain their availability.

For some info on Forsgate I post the following back tee yardages.

Course rating -- 70.9
Slope -- 124

Yardage is:

1. 378 yards
2. 403 yards
3. 194 yards
4. 347 yards
5. 417 yards
6. 344 yards
7. 187 yards
8. 570 yards
9. 501 yards
Out = 3338 / Par-36

10. 416 yards
11. 357 yards
12. 140 yards
13. 529 yards
14. 411 yards
15. 328 yards
16. 402 yards
17. 235 yards
18. 421 yards
In = 3239 / Par-35
Total = 6,577 yards / Par-71

A hole-by-hole description will follow in the next few days.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 11:53:15 AM »
Just to add a few comments on a few of the holes the Banks Course at Forsgate.

The 1st plays uphill and although only 378 yards the hole gives you a preview of what a genuine Banks Course is about. The green is contoured in a very unique way and getting close is no bargain with the approach.

The 3rd is one of the four best par-3's in NJ IMHO. The hole plays a table top green set above the teeing area. The green is well protected by bunkers that sit very low in context to the green. There is also a spine that runs through the middle of the green and it makes it imperative your approach find the correct area. Utterly uncompromising hole!

The 7th is a reverse Redan hole. Here you play 187 yards to a downhill target. The green runs fiercely away from top left to bottom right and heaven help anyone who airmails the target. It's deader than Elvis!

The 8th is probably one of the 3-4 strongest par-5's that exist in the Garden State IMHO. The hole climbs uphill all the way and is generally played into the prevailing wind. It takes three fine shots to reach this elevated green which is also well contoured.

The 9th is another par-5 and poses a completely different set of challenges. Here the green can be reached in two provided the tee shot is both logn and accurate. The catch? There's a greenside bunker that never suffers any foolish attempts.

The 10th is a wonderful mid-length par-4 with a fairway that rolls up and down like the waves on the ocean.

The 12th is a nothing par-3 (140 yards) but the issue isn't the distance -- it's the dynamic green. Here Banks created a literal upside-down horseshoe shaped green. When the pin is placed deep back you have to have enough club to go beyond the crest of the "shoe" but not too much or you'll fly the target. Fascinating stuff indeed!

The 16th is a gem at just under 410 yards. The tee shot gives you room but it's the green that once again demands excellence with the approach. There are three separate target areas and the hole is really a replica in so many ways of the 16th at Essex County CC in West Orange, NJ.

The 17th is Banks recreation of the Biaritz hole. Generally the hole plays downwind at 234 yards and you can run the ball on or fly it directly to the target. The green again is well designed.

The finishing hole plays back to the clubhouse and into the prevailing wind. The drive must deal with a hill to carry and the green is beautifully angled from left to right with a frontal bunker.

Forsgate may be short in distance but the charm and character of the layout still holds true today.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 08:33:38 AM »
Just a quick reminder -- a number of spots are filling in so I urge anyone interested to get me their info ASAP.

Thanks ...

matt

ferkauf

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2003, 08:40:00 AM »
Matt, I was wondering if there is any new info about the forsgate outing? I sent in my info about a week ago and was wondering where everything stands.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 08:43:23 AM »
ferkauf / et al:

I've been away for thelast 7-10 days touring through the Pinehurst, Charleston and coastal Virginia areas. I'll update the complete listing of Forsgate by tomorrow when I get back to Jersey.

Adios for now ..

P.S. For those wishing to play I urge you to send in your stuff ASAP (deadline is June 13) because the list is quickly filling in with players. Thanks!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2003, 03:55:19 PM »
Here's the latest update on who is confirmed for the June 19 get together at Forsgate. Spots are going fast so PLEASE send in your info as outlined previously. Deadline is Friday, June 13 -- so don't be unlucky and send in your stuff after that.

Thanks ...

Confirmed placements include the following:

Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
Matt Ward

I received a few others in today's mail and they will be posted ASAP.

Remember -- $100 per person, send check payable to Matt Ward to:

Matt Ward
Editor-in-Chief / The Jersey Golfer
5 Hilton Street
Clifton, NJ 07011-2226

No spots are held with anything other than your check. Any questions just e-mail me. Adios for now ...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2003, 07:18:30 AM »
I can announce today that one of the speakers for the June 19 event will be none other than the former USGA Technical Director -- FRANK THOMAS!

Frank will speak about the impact technology has had on the game and what he sees coming "down the pike."

The second speaker will also be someone with "inside" knowledge on what is happening within the game today. More to come once this person is confirmed.

If you have not already sent in your information I urge you do so as a number of people are in the process in sending in their materials.

That's it for now ... ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2003, 04:18:38 PM »
Here's the update on the folks confirmed for the June 19 get together at Forsgate ...

Confirmed placements (newest ones in bold print) include the following:

Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
COREY MILLER
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
FRANK THOMAS + GUEST
Matt Ward

Remember the deadline is next Friday, June 13. Don't wait so long to be un-lucky. Adios for now ...

P.S. Remember to include your approximate handicap when forwarding your info. Thanks!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2003, 05:06:05 PM »
Confirmed placements (newest ones in bold print) have now reached 18 and include the following:

David Barrett
Alan Bastable
Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
Corey Miller
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
Frank Thomas + Guest
Matt Ward

Remember the deadline to enter is Friday, June 13 -- don't be unlucky and wait toooooooooo long!

P.S. Please include your approximate handicap when forwarding your info. Thanks!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2003, 09:33:44 AM »
Confirmed placements (newest ones in bold print) have now reached 19 and include the following:

David Barrett
Alan Bastable
Chris Blakely
Sean Blakely
Geoff Childs
Craig Disher
John Filmyer
Corey Miller
Tony Pioppi
Michael Policano
Mike Prystonsky
Steve Sayers
Lowell Schmidt
Frank Sekulic
Mike Sweeney
Frank Thomas + Guest
Matt Ward
LES ZIMMERMAN

Remember the deadline to enter is Friday, June 13 -- don't be unlucky and wait toooooooooo long!

P.S. Please include your approximate handicap when forwarding your info. Thanks!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2003, 09:28:05 AM »
A tradition attributed to golf architects, Seth Raynor, Charles B. Macdonald and Charles Banks, is the inclusion of adaptation of world-famous holes in their course designs. Forsgate CC, in Jamesburg, is a prime example.

#1 PREPARATORY: An open forgiving hole allowing the player the opportunity to warm-up. Preparatory was the name given to many opening holes in Scotland.

#2 NARROWS: A straightaway par-4.The Narrows is named after the 15th hole at National Golf Links. Here the fairway trap ont he left and the trees on the right make for a tight driving hole.

#3 EDEN: Named after the 11th hole at St. Andrews, Eden is a demanding par-3 (one of the finest four in NJ IMHO) with two large deep bunkers -- the Strath on the right and The Shelley on the left. The healthy ridge int he middle of the green presents a putting challenge of the first order.

#4 HOG'S BACK: A well-placed drive can bound down the hill making Hog's Back a drive-and-pitch hole. Once on the green with putter in hand, the player will learn quickly the meaning of the hole.

#5 PUNCHBOWL: A copy of the 9th at Hoylake in England, the Punchbowl is a fixture on many courses by Macdonald, Raynor and Banks. At one point, the green was considered the largest putting surface in the USA.

#6 THE KNOLL: The green is partially hidden by a grass and sand knoll making for a partially blind second shot if the pin is tucked left.

More to follow ...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 12:29:20 PM »
Continuing with the hole descriptions ...

7th REDAN -- The hole is a reverse "redan" and features out-of-bounds not too far behind the green.

8th LONG  -- Even without the prevailing wind, the hole normally plays as a 3-shot par-5 for all but the longest. The hole boasts the most severe terrace on the Banks Course.

9th PLATEAU -- This rolling par-5 features two plateaus: one in the fairway and one at the green. There are also two characteristically large deep bunkers protecting the green.

10th VALLEY -- Named after the opening hole at the NGLA and the 2nd at Carnoustie in Scotland; this hole is protected by some of the finest cross bunkering to be seen at Forsgate. The green is perched on a severe shelf -- falling to the right.

11th STEAM SHOVEL -- Named for Banks' favorite architectural tool and eventually became his nickname. This hole exhibits the severe traps and trap faces that result from the "steam shovel" technique.

12th HORSESHOE -- Completely surrounded by bunkers, this par-3 is a copy of many elevated short holes in Scotland. "Buried elephants" is one way to describe this horseshoe-shaped undulation in this green. As with many holes on the Banks course, the challenge resides with the pin placement.

The final six holes to come ... ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2003, 07:04:14 AM »
The final six holes ...

#13 SOUTH WIND --  A long uphill par-5 that plays even longer into the south wind. The less common north wind gives the longer hitter an opportunity to reach the green in two.

#14 NORTH WIND --  A straightaway par-4 with a welcoming wide fairway. Although the green has no severe contours characteristic of Banks, there is still enough slope left to right to make an accurate approach a necessity.

#15 CHOCOLATE DROP -- The key is placing the approach with particular precision as your putting will be influenced by the chocolate drop.

#16 NORTH BERWYCK -- Named for the 16th hole in North Berwyck, the green on this par-4 has three tiers that enocurage some fun pin placements. Macdonald also copied this green at the 11th hole at NGLA.

#17 BIARRITZ -- This long par-3 patterned after a par-3 in Biarritz, France, with a long narrow green divided into distinct levels by a deep swale.

#18 PURGATORY -- The home hole is a devilish par-4 with a steeply pitched green. The right front trap, one of the deepest on the Banks Course, is aplty named Purgatory bunker.

Remember, the deadline for all participants is this Friday. Adios for now. I'll update the head county later today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back