News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Golf in Florence, Italy?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 06:56:11 AM »
Skill-wise Italy is like everywhere in continental Europe, i. e. a couple of notches below the UK level. Yes, the club members tend to be wealthier on average compared to other countries. But I have not found this to be a detriment. Generally, the smaller number of players makes the whole golf experience more relaxed and greenfees aren't any higher than elsewhere. Obviously, there are a few tourist courses (Il Pelagone for example), where it's different - you won't find any locals there, but the usual crowd from other countries.

Personally, I never hesitated to make room for great golf, neither in Rome nor in Florence. Appreciation of the arts and culture does wane a bit, when you're eating dust and moving through crowds for three days in a row. Also, how much can you really remember about a specific sight, when there are about 20 important churches and museums on your itinerary?

My advice is to not overdo the cultural side, pick a few highlights and see if you can get to Ugolino on a bright and sunny day.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Carl Nichols

Re: Golf in Florence, Italy?
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »
If you're going to be there ten days, and have already been to Florence, I would definitely play.  Florence is definitely an all-world city, but part of the great thing about being there that long is experiencing the culture and (since you're presumably a golf nut like the rest of us) I would think that the golf culture would be particularly interesting to you.  So I wouldn't look for the best course within two hours -- I would instead look for the club that is most typical of where someone who lives in Florence would belong and play.  By spending a morning and lunch there (or whatever), you'll get a unique experience regarding Italian life -- what can be better than that?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back