News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Mac Plumart

Re: 2013 Golfweek's Best Resort Courses
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
Mark...

do you (or anyone else) have easy access to data showing big movers on this list and/or the others you posted today?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
Bandon Dunes Resort killing the rankings:
Pac Dunes #1
Old Mac #4
Bandon Dunes #6
Bandon Trails #11

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
Old Mac down 2 to 4th

Pinehurst No 2 up 2 to 3rd

Prairie Club Dunes up 3 to 19th

Old White up 7 to 26

I'm sure the bigger changes start farther down the list..

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
Tobacco Road is a resort but Pasatiempo is not.  When will enough be enough.

Given how easy it is to access, just make a call, to 99% of the private courses in the country with on site cottages this list would be far, far more interesting if it even sniffed the truth.   But really, why put that in a magazine for free as long as there are guys out there who will pay for that information.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
Bandon Dunes has more staying power than Wilt Chamberlain and Whistling Straights is a testament to money and marketing (gotta love the spa and the corn-fed masseuses).  Pretty hard to justify 85 courses better than Talking Stick North IMO...Nice to see Bandon Trails gradually getting it's proper due...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:50:00 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Bandon Dunes has more staying power than Wilt Chamberlain and Whistling Straights is a testament to money and marketing (gotta love the spa and the corn-fed masseuses).  Pretty hard to justify 85 courses better than Talking Stick North IMO...Nice to see Bandon Trails gradually getting it's proper due...

Jud, better to you or someone interested in architecture or C&C, maybe.  But I've talked to about 10 golfers who have played TS(N) on trips to Phoenix and to a man they could not understand what makes it interesting.  All ranked it last on their respective trips.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »

Jud, better to you or someone interested in architecture or C&C, maybe.  But I've talked to about 10 golfers who have played TS(N) on trips to Phoenix and to a man they could not understand what makes it interesting.  All ranked it last on their respective trips.

Mark,

Have you played it?  I'd be surprised if you had and didn't at least partly share my opinion.  It's probably the only course I've ever played from 7000 yards that I really enjoyed.  Although clearly a minority opinion, I actually enjoyed it more than We-Ko-Pa Saguaro, just for another local C&C reference.  Read Ran's writeup vis-a-vis the bunkering:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/talkingstick/

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Will Lozier

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
I didn't realize Pebble was so young! 1999?!?! 8) Is it me or has editing become a lost art?

Cheers

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »
Silverado made the list? I have heard the courses are flat and boring. Other than being in the middle of wine country how does this rate?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Thanks, Mark.

I'm not good with or much interested in numbers, but I took a quick look: spots 8-18 are separated by less than 1 ranking point (in a 1-10 scale), and then spots 19-87 (almost 70 whole golf courses!) are also separated by less than 1 ranking point. What does that mean? Does it mean that 80 of the top 100 resort courses in America score either a B+ a B or a B-? If so, I for one say Hooray!! We've obviously, according to golfweek, achieved the much vaunted 'parity' in the gca....

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:31:20 PM by PPallotta »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Can someone please tell me why anyone would like the Nicklaus course at Hualalai?  I just don't understand it.  I must be missing something.  I think it is absolutely dreadful.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »
Can someone please tell me why anyone would like the Nicklaus course at Hualalai?  I just don't understand it.  I must be missing something.  I think it is absolutely dreadful.

Tommy,

An average score of 6.08 equals dreadful after being comped in Hawaii. I believe most raters agree with you.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Tobacco Road is a resort but Pasatiempo is not.  When will enough be enough.

Does anyone know what golfweeks criteria for a resort course is?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
Silverado made the list? I have heard the courses are flat and boring. Other than being in the middle of wine country how does this rate?

I have heard the North Course was remodeled http://blogs.golf.com/trips/2011/09/miller-time-in-napa.html

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »

I have heard the North Course was remodeled http://blogs.golf.com/trips/2011/09/miller-time-in-napa.html

Matt Ginella also wrote about the remodel to the North course:

After adding length, removing trees, planting grass and re-positioning almost every bunker, the 7,223-yard North course reopened in May. "Everything about it is dang near different, except for the routing," says Miller, who has designed 34 courses. "Not taking anything away from Robert Trent Jones Jr., but these were among the first courses he did. He was begging to be involved in this redesign, but I had this course pegged 20 years ago. I knew exactly what I wanted to do."

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-travel/buddies/2011-10/away-game-napa
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 03:19:36 AM »
How come they are missing courses outside the US, or is the article title incorrect?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back