News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Chechessee Creek: Back To The Future
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »
CCC will evolve as the better of the two between itself and Cuscowilla.  The entire lake area around CCC will be an interesting study as the economy recovers.  the Reynolds Plantation team created what I consider the best ever marketing job in golf when it took the poorest county in the State of Ga on a very shallow lake and made it into a national destination resort.  I think when it recovers it will be looked at as a regional resort. CCC also has a much better set-up going forward.  I like both courses but hole #14 will always be a weak point at Cuscowilla and keep it from being the better of the two IMHO.

Why so down on #14 at Cuscowilla?  How many par 5's do you play where both the second and third shots are that demanding?   I find the second to be perplexing. 

BCrosby

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:26 AM »
Agreed about the 14th at Cusco. I like it. A rare, maddening par 5 on which the lay up options, even without a water hazard, are fascinating. I now think that if you have doubts about carrying the bunkers on the ridge (the direct line to the green), you should play your second well left. Better to hit a much longer, much more uphill third shot to that green than try to play something out of the ridgeline bunkers on the more direct line. A painful, delicious lay up choice because the safe play option comes at such a steep price.

Bob

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:15:31 AM by BCrosby »

Mike_Young

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
Mike, I have a different take on the 14th at Cusco:  It's pure cross-country golf across land ill-suited for that purpose - I find that appealing in a weird way.  I'm less a fan of the 7th and 12th, two claustrophobic short par fours where trees provide the only strategy, the 18th which feels like a finisher at a Tennessee state park course and the 3rd which looks like a water hole designed by a third rate architect.

Also, while I don't mind playing off a natural ground cover of pine needles, I don't like the mulching effect where more needles are imported and spread.  Hopefully they no longer do that at Cusco. 

More later.

Bogey

Bogey, Bill and Bob,
It's not that I'm down on 14.  I like the golf course very much but hole 14 does not work for me and when I talk to many others without mentioning they will name 14 as the hole they don't get.  Now this is personal preference and I don't know the specific parameters but I think if the tee would were further left it would have made for a better tee shot in relation to the topography in the landing area and the "fall-away" to the left of the second shot from a downhill lie does not fit for me.  If you have to have it then IMHO there should be more fairway to the left in the second landing area.  And great green..  Now don't go say I'm slamming C&C...I joined one of their courses...I like Cusco but I think CCC is better. 
Bogey,
7 and 12?  I see the trees as hurting the strategy.  For example IMHO if 12 were more open then people would hit driver and if you were to either side of the green it would be almost impossible.  as it is people rarely hit driver and they end up with the pin still in front of them which makes it easier IMHO...CUT ALL THE TREES... ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back