News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Gabellieri

Old Macdonald, still creating buzz?
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
First post. I love the website.

I went to Bandon in 2010 and the buzz surrounding the property was you have to play Old Mac.  I was fortunate enough to play it and absolutely loved it. I can't put it ahead of Pacific Dunes but it's close.  I'm going back to Bandon next summer and was wondering if Old Mac is still creating all the buzz or has it shifted to the Preserve because its the new course in town? I'm not a fan of the rankings publications come out with so what do the GCAer's think? Where is Old Mac now on your list of Bandon Courses? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Jim Colton

Re: Old Macdonald, still creating buzz?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »
Matt,

I put together a little web poll earlier this summer for those who have played all 4 courses. Here was the result with 186 votes:

BD,PD,BT,OM
  4 (2%)
BD,PD,OM,BT
  5 (2%)
BD,BT,PD,OM
  2 (1%)
BD,BT,OM,PD
  1 (0%)
BD,OM,PD,BT
  4 (2%)
BD,OM,BT,PD
  2 (1%)
PD,BD,BT,OM
  6 (3%)
PD,BD,OM,BT
  11 (5%)
PD,BT,BD,OM
  11 (5%)
PD,BT,OM,BD
  20 (10%)
PD,OM,BD,BT
  20 (10%)
PD,OM,BT,BD
  30 (16%)
BT,BD,PD,OM
  3 (1%)
BT,BD,OM,PD
  2 (1%)
BT,PD,BD,OM
  10 (5%)
BT,PD,OM,BD
  14 (7%)
BT,OM,BD,PD
  3 (1%)
BT,OM,PD,BD
  3 (1%)
OM,BD,PD,BT
 3 (1%)
OM,BD,BT,PD
  4 (2%)
OM,PD,BD,BT
  12 (6%)
OM,PD,BT,BD
  11 (5%)
OM,BT,BD,PD
  0 (0%)
OM,BT,PD,BD
  5 (2%)

The poll is here: http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/bare-knuckles-bandon-brawl-rank-4-courses-bdgr

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
I rather doubt that the Preserve will ever generate enough buzz to overwhelm a golfer's preferential affections for any of the four 18-hole golf courses.  It's more of a breather experience, a late afternoon round for legs and backs that can't contemplate another "full" round on one of the other courses.  It's generating plenty of compliments, from its challenge to its eye candy, but a short course will never, IMHO, overcome the merits of the others.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matthew Essig

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
I rank preserve above BD.......
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
OK,

Who's the knucklehead that has BD, BT, OM, PD?   8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Will MacEwen

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
I rather doubt that the Preserve will ever generate enough buzz to overwhelm a golfer's preferential affections for any of the four 18-hole golf courses.  It's more of a breather experience, a late afternoon round for legs and backs that can't contemplate another "full" round on one of the other courses.  It's generating plenty of compliments, from its challenge to its eye candy, but a short course will never, IMHO, overcome the merits of the others.

It is the best for drinking and accelerated gambling though.  KP on every hole, quick pace.

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 01:00:06 PM »
I have only been to Bandon once, but I loved OM. I really would like to visit again and play all the courses with the opposite (summer) wind to see how I like them.

But anyway, when you talk about "buzz" do you mean how much the players like the course, or are you talking about how much publicity the course receives? Two years is awhile for a course to stay in the headlines. Additionally, it's not as if OM is a new endeavor. Bandon was well established and OM just gave golfers one more reason to visit.

Certainly we are seeing less publicity about the course but that's normal.

Matt Gabellieri

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
I am using the word "buzz" as in how much the players like the course. It is so different from all the courses in the US.  It created a lot of talk two years ago because there was really nothing like it, and there still isn't a course like Old Mac in the States today.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
I am using the word "buzz" as in how much the players like the course. It is so different from all the courses in the US.  It created a lot of talk two years ago because there was really nothing like it, and there still isn't a course like Old Mac in the States today.

Matt,

How is Old Mac different than Ballyneal, NGLA or even a Chambers Bay?  Or just how do you think it is different than anything else in the States today?

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
Old Mac is awesome.  I just booked my third trip there for next summer.  My friend and I had lengthy discussions on our breakdown of which courses we will play (very important stuff!!!).  3 OM, 2 PD, 1 BD, and 1 BT.  OM is just too fun. We had a late round and spent a half hour on the 18th green putting to that right pin until it was dark...it was a blast.  Holes 3-8 (even 2-8) are one of my favorite stretches in golf.  It might even be better than the back nine of Pasatiempo, but that is a tough call.  I could do a 3 day trip there and play OM everyday along with one of the other courses at the resort.  PD is incredible, but there is something about OM.  Now whenever I think of the resort, OM is the first course I think of.  It still is creating a buzz with my friends and we can't wait to go back.

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

OM is a great place to play golf, but it's not a "great" golf course.

For more insight into my rationale, I think that the Olympic Club Lake course is a great golf course, but not a great place to play golf.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

For more insight into my rationale, I think that the Olympic Club Lake course is a great golf course, but not a great place to play golf.

I'm glad that this makes sense to you, Jed.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
Jed,

I have to disagree with you that Olympic is not a great place to play golf. A trip to San Francisco is always something special. I wish I could make it an annual event. As for the club, I have only visited twice, almost twenty years ago now, but I sure remember liking the environment. In sum, I like the whole venue more than the course itself.

As for Bandon and Old Mac for me the reverse is true. I think the golf is better than the entire experience largely because the courses are so good but I would still rather be in Scotland or Ireland.
Tim Weiman

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
When I was out there in May, the talk in the shuttles was always about Old Mac. This is just some anecdotal evidence, but I think it still has that buzz surrounding it.

Jed Peters

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »

I'm glad that this makes sense to you, Jed.

When you are done with a round on the Lake course, you don't want to immediately head back to the first tee.

Accordingly, when you are done with OM, you want to huff over to the first and give it another shot.

Regarding what makes a good "golf course", that's a discussion for another time.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
OK,

Who's the knucklehead that has BD, BT, OM, PD?   8)

Clearly that's Barney!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

A fine distillation of the inscrutable conundrum of our times...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Colbert

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
My #1 when I go back someday is the sheep ranch.

Just sayin'

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 05:19:09 AM »
My #1 when I go back someday is the sheep ranch.

Just sayin'

The two rounds I've played at Sheep Ranch are two of the coolest experiences I've ever had. I have a hard time comparing it to the other courses though because it's so different. You can play some pretty incredible "holes" out there too.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Matt Gabellieri

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »
John,

I feel like Old Mac is different because of the expanse of the course. The wide fairways and enormous greens.  I love how it looks like the super could place a tee marker anywhere.  The hike up and over the hill/sahara after your tee ball on three is one for the ages.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back