News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Golf Course Damage from Sandy
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:02 AM »
I am sure that some of you have seen some pics of the damage at golf course via twitter or facebook, but here are a few.

Maidstone #15 (Thankfully, C&C are already there doing work)

Ridgewood

Nutters Crossing

TPC Jasna Polana

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Golf Course Damage from Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
Anythony,

Mother Nature has done what many clubs should have done years ago.

With so much power out due to trees falling on power lines, the utiilties have been equally neglectful for decades.
Now the storm has done the work they should have performed and we're paying the price for it.

I wonder how Atlantic City looks and survived ?

P.S.  The Celebration looks and plays well. 
       I'm curious as to how it will hold up to traffic while dormant.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
Agreed Pat.  I wonder how some of the bayside holes of Galloway, ACCC, Seaview, etc. are doing?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
Agreed Pat.  I wonder how some of the bayside holes of Galloway, ACCC, Seaview, etc. are doing?

Mark

I was wondering if Pine Valley took a direct hit?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
I doubt it.  Aside from maybe some minor tree damage.  I'm sure some others can comment.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
I would be worried about damage on the seaside holes at Misquamicut, Sakonnet & Kittansett
Integrity in the moment of choice

Chris Roselle

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
Regarding Pine Valley GC, here is tweet from Jason Sobel...

Jason Sobel ‏@JasonSobelGC
As for highly rated Pine Valley, they had lots of pine needles on the greens. Don't worry. They've been cleared off. You may swing away.

Don't know how true it is...but he had an earlier tweet about Merion, which was spot on, as I drove around the course yesterday

Chris Munoz

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »
http://www.mgagolf.org/news/october/2012/sandy

a link which shows some of the Met Areas courses and how they were affected from Sandy.  thank god, this all happened at the end of the season. 

I know what it is like rebuilding golf courses.  Have done it more then twice here in Puntacana, Dominican Republic, after several hurricanes have passed by. 
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
http://www.golf.com/photos/golf-courses-damaged-hurricane-sandy/marine-park

Two questions...Fishers? Holy caca.

and, will Liberty National be in shape to host the Barclays next year?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
Another pic of Fishers Island has surfaced via Jason Sobel's Twitter via Tony Nysse's twitter...

Dane Hawker

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
Wow the power of the ocean. Fixx the path up and leave some rocks it may look better afterwards?

David Davis

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »
+1 I was thinking the same thing about that last hole at Fisher's Island. Clean up the debris and it looks a lot better IMO. Would it be wrong, I wonder to wish for a storm to come along and blow all the trees down on your course when you believed it would be better without them?

The flooding on some of those courses looks unbelievable. This might be a stupid comment but don't they try to do anything about that or is that just impossible? Can't some of the water be pumped away? The trouble is I don't know the areas so don't know how widespread it is I guess (hence the stupid question). I imagine in some cases they can and in others they can't.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Donnie Beck

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
What the F#@k is wrong with you clowns. First of all who gave anyone permission to steal these pictures???  We haven't even had power on for more than a few hours and here they are plastered all over the internet before our members have even had a chance to see them............2nd. ... the picture you are comparing the damage to is at least 10+ years old and doesn't resemble at all what the hole looked like before the storm hit... All the while you are completely ignoring the real damage to tee box and bluff that has fallen into the ocean! !!!!

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
What the F#@k is wrong with you clowns. First of all who gave anyone permission to steal these pictures???  We haven't even had power on for more than a few hours and here they are plastered all over the internet before our members have even had a chance to see them............2nd. ... the picture you are comparing the damage to is at least 10+ years old and doesn't resemble at all what the hole looked like before the storm hit... All the while you are completely ignoring the real damage to tee box and bluff that has fallen into the ocean! !!!!

1. I didn't "steal" anything. They were posted to the internet publicly and are part of the public domain. And I told you where I got the recent photo from: someone's twitter.

2. The "before" picture I posted is from Ran's writeup published ON THIS SITE. But I suppose that was stolen as well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
I'm traveling out west this week and then overseas, so I haven't heard much about the clubs where we consult.  But the majority of the golf course at Inwood must have gone underwater ... I hope they can recover from that.  Atlantic City had to have taken a major hit as well.  Will report back once I've heard what happened.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
Bill,

Maybe stolen is a bit strong of a word but when you post pictures with a privacy setting of friends only and they end up on some guy's twitter account that you have never heard and then reposted on GCA within a few hours of being taken it is a bit shocking.

and David how long do you think it takes to pump away millions of gallons of water?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »
Deep breaths, Donnie and GCA. I will vouch for Bill and others on the site that no pictures would be posted for personal gain nor malicious intent.

The wonder of the web is its immediacy; the same information access that allowed people to evacuate ahead of the storm or follow its path allow GCA aficionados to lament damages to their favorite/treasured courses.

Use the personal message function if you have a problem with someone's post. It keeps things private. I'm certain that if I post something offensive (intentionally or not) and someone PMs me with a viable complaint, I'll remove it.

Donnie, I don't know which club is yours. I am sorry for damages. I hope that, if the storm's damage affected other parts of your life, you are able to gather yourself and your loved ones and get back on your feet promptly.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »
Donnie,
Good luck with your clean up. All in all, how did the island get through? Did anyone stay out there and ride it out?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back