News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Re: Royal Birkdale GC, Southport, England - Photo tour (9th hole posted)
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 03:01:12 AM »

The ninth, as Donal has pointed out is a good hole and provides features not found in the previous holes - a blind tee shot, elevation change and a bit of rumpled fairway.  The aerial view:

I thought the tee monuments - painted cast iron? - provided a nice touch.

A second shot from more in the middle of the fairway provides a more open look.

A view of Gary in the bunker from further away gives a sense of the scale of the bunker.

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
Enjoying this so far--would like to see a little more if possible, I'm supposed to be playing there Friday.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »
anyone recall what Denis Durnian shot on the front nine in the Open ?  Still a record I think.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 02:56:50 AM »
According to Wiki it was a 28!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 03:16:00 AM »
Denis Durnian shot 28 on the front nine in the 1983 Open. I was too young to see this

I can remember how Ian Baker Finch took the course apart in 1991 Open in probably the best last 36 holes I have ever seen by an Open Champion - 64, 66 (130) he went around the front nine in 29 on the final day I can remember a few missed putts and the Daiwa clubs that he used!! In the same year Richard Boxall broke his leg when he hit his tee shot on the 9th which was unusual!

Having played Birkdale before it is hard to fathom how these guys went under 30 as the front nine is a very challenging nine holes of golf with probably the hardest opening hole in the Open.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
Ben,

Denis Durnian's feat is all the more impressive when you consider he was basically a club professional at the time. I am in full agreement that IBF's is the best last 36 holes ever played in a major championship. Also, the opening hole is not only the hardest but in my opinion the best one on the Open rota.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back