News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: How does housing affect your opinion of a course?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »
If getting away from the daily grind is an important part of the game, if communing with nature is an integral part of the experience and if views (for many) are of such importance than how can housing be anything but a negative?  Obviously quantity, quality and proximity matter as well.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
I guess I am just used to it, so I don't discount a course for houses around it.  In fact, if houses are nice enough, they don't affect me at all, I even enjoy seeing the backyard design treatments of some.

Besides the long walks and too tight houses TD mentions, it seems to me that the higher end communities are fine.  As they try golf courses with lower cost housing, you tend to get a lot of things they deem necessary to make the housing design work at rock bottom cost.  This includes, more houses, smaller houses, lower quality homes, straighter lines, less room for landscaping, tighter corridors, etc. 

Of course, the golf course itself tends to have a lower purpose and budget, and truly does end up not being all it might be, if the architect had free hand.  Many developers really don't understand the cost and value of golf, and expect the proverbial champagne course on a beer budget.  Add in that most housing courses are meant mostly to use up flood plain land the developer can't put houses on, and it also starts out on less than desirable land in many cases.

Obviously, time improves most housing courses, as trees and landscape mature, partially hiding the houses or setting them off well. Starting on a wooded site, with lot sizes that allow some tree preservation is preferable and gives instant maturity.

Design matters, too. I have also seen some great examples of row houses looking better if a few are set at slight angles and different spacings along the golf course, rather than lining up perfectly.  But, that rarely happens, unless the parcel is plentiful and land was cheap.  I tried to steer them that direction in China, but when the local land planner took over, the straight lines re-appeared, and the client felt they were justified as the economics dictated XX number of housing units on the land, so there was no wiggle room.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:50:39 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 11:37:53 AM »
It all depends on how it looks.  Most of the time it looks terrible but Harbortown is a notable exception and I am sure there are others. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »
You can also throw Cypress Point in the dustbin if exterior housing is a blight to you.... along with pretty much every other great course on the Monterey Peninsula.

P.S.  One course that would tainted.. is if they start building houses at Wine Valley Golf Club.  Its perfect as is, and I can't imagine a bunch of McMansions being build on the perimeter destroying the wide open prarie feel to it.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
My "opinion" of the course?  It does affect it. I much prefer courses where the holes are knit closely together on a piece of ground unencumbered by little between them, such as houses, or woodland (which I think might be the case at Pine Valley, though I've never been there).  From any one place on the course, or at least most places on the course, I want to be able to see most of the rest of the course.  Things around the outside of the course ground don't bother me per se . . .  but I could make up hypotheticals where they would.  On the other hand, houses (or not) don't affect the architectural merit of the course looking at each hole individually, and disregarding, among other things, long hikes or rides from a green to the next tee . . . for me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:27:15 PM by Carl Johnson »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 10:10:38 PM »
All things considered I prefer courses with the roads along the bondaries, where I see the front of the houses.  Merion 14/15 vs. Merion 7/8.  DuPont is a fine example where this works. Also in the end seems much more planned in a good way.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »
Sadly, Ballyhack has fallen victim to this same type of mass building explosion- the house on the opening hole has completely altered the experience for me  :'(

The house on the opening hole is hardly visible.  Most people never even noticed it on their first play.

The house behind #9 tee, of course, is a different story (as will the new home being built left of #10).

WW

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Wade

I'm glad you responded on this, and glad the home is not really obtrusive.  When I read Chris's post I immediately went to Google Earth to see if they showed the house.  It does show up, but I couldn't imagine that it would be objectionable either from the tee or from the fairway.

Trust all is well at Ballyhack!

Jamey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back