News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

Re: Most Schizophrenic Golf Course?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 02:27:54 AM »
For me it is Sea N Air, the golf course on NAS North Island.  The front is flat palm tree runways with man made ponds in play on nearly every hole.  The back has some movement and touches the dunes.

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:14 AM »
Duncan,

I've not played Tenby, so I went to have a look on Google maps and as I panned around looking at an interesting routing of 18 holes through what appeared to be dunes, I was wondering what you and the others were on about? I then noticed the 3 holes on the other side of the railway and with a bit of work, I figure that the hole you show above used to be the first, but due to its proximity to the clubhouse (ie blocked and sliced approaches probably hitting the clubhouse and its surrounds) they appear to have rerouted and closed a few holes (current 8th was previously 2 holes and there was a par 3 between the current 9th and 10th holes?) to make what I guess was the old 2nd into the first and added the 3 holes on what you say is the not so links like land on the other side of the railway. Bing maps shows the course a little more like it is today I believe?

Anyone throw any more light on the history?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 06:46:45 AM »
In Donald Steel's Classic Golf Links (1992) he wrote of Tenby:

'....the 7th and 8th proceed to what used to be the furthest point. Now the 9th, 10th and 11th are planned on fairly fiercely undulating land that used to be a firing range, replacing the 15th, 16th and 17th of the other side of the railway and adding a new dimension more in character with the rest.'

Presumably they weren't able to get that piece of land or they couldn't afford to construct the holes.

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 10:55:21 AM »
New Richmond Golf Course is a lovely relatively rudimentary course for the first 12 and then completely different modern course for the last 6.    From the aerial it looks like they allowed the original holes to be used for housing and a driving range and replaced them with modern ones. 

http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/newrichmondgcorigina/aerial.htm
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:57:51 AM by Jason Topp »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
New Richmond Golf Course is a lovely relatively rudimentary course for the first 12 and then completely different modern course for the last 6.    From the aerial it looks like they allowed the original holes to be used for housing and a driving range and replaced them with modern ones. 

http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/newrichmondgcorigina/aerial.htm

Good choice, Jason, and apt description.

I really like the first part of New Richmond. I wonder if 12 was the original 18. Wish I could see the whole Willie Kidd design.

You might want to read this: http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/golf-memoir-in-the-beginning/1.

I say "might" because I haven't read it yet, myself. I'm on a 10-minute break from my Endless Weekend of leaf-raking, and the 10 minutes are up!

As I've said possibly too many times: It's a small world, particularly around here. The head pro at your new club is the grandson of the designer of (the original) New Richmond Golf Club.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Greg Gilson

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
I remember being struck by the "split personality" of Lundin Links with the lovely links holes down the bottom and the interesting but different parkland type holes along the higher ground. I guess Leven is similar because I understand that all came about as the 2 clubs split the higher/lower ground equally. Apologies to those that know better if i have that legend wrong.

Also, one of my favourite Scottisch clubs, Panmure, feels almost like 2 courses with the first/last 3 holes on challengingly flat land. Its like stepping through the looking glass walking to the 4'th tee!

Pete Balzer

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
Rifle Creek

Front Nine- old farm nine- short and open
Back Nine- straight out of a Gary Patterson drawing

Mike McGuire

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
West Bend CC

Front 1930 William Langford  and Moreau built a really cool 9 that is mostly intact. One hole severely disfigured.
Back 1960  David Gill design (I bet he was told much of it by members)  and built by a local excavator with no experience. Marvelous terrain makes it playable but a letdown.

Had a few visitors all of a sudden remember meetings they have to get to after playing 10 & 11 and  seeing the clubhouse nearby.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 05:06:44 AM »
Legend's Parkland, what's Doak, what's Young, what's Stranz?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 05:34:46 AM »
Duncan,

I've not played Tenby, so I went to have a look on Google maps and as I panned around looking at an interesting routing of 18 holes through what appeared to be dunes, I was wondering what you and the others were on about? I then noticed the 3 holes on the other side of the railway and with a bit of work, I figure that the hole you show above used to be the first, but due to its proximity to the clubhouse (ie blocked and sliced approaches probably hitting the clubhouse and its surrounds) they appear to have rerouted and closed a few holes (current 8th was previously 2 holes and there was a par 3 between the current 9th and 10th holes?) to make what I guess was the old 2nd into the first and added the 3 holes on what you say is the not so links like land on the other side of the railway. Bing maps shows the course a little more like it is today I believe?

Anyone throw any more light on the history?

Cheers,

James

James,

Your assessment is quite right. Apparantly H&S issues involving a public footpath from the caravan site to the beach enforced some changes out in the dunes, and the original first hole threatened the clubhouse - a newish building not on the site of the original.

Since the current Google Earth image the club has cleared a large tract of land to the left of the first fairway as a driving range. Why this could not have been used as part of the course instead is a mystery to me - it is fine linksland.

Despite its shotcomings however, Tenby is a fine course and well worth a visit.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:38:14 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back